How's do you pass?

thugpoet

The Dredd Wolf
@Brown
Reaction score
Pretty much since I learned it I have been a standing passer. Break guard by standing, control the knee, step over the knee then work the standing step pass. There are a few counters but that's the base for me.

Lately I've been experimenting with pressure passing as the fear of leg locks has started to leak into my training partners.

How do you guys pass

depend son how the guy plays and what sport if he is one of these kids who like the bjj fads who just try to leg lock everything they see i play a lower smashing type game double over hooking the legs working up the body

besides that knee cuts and chains depending on what they do to defend

I like it all. Standing speed passing, kneeling slow pressure passing. I do both styles of passing.

Been doing only the over under pass for 4 years. It works really well for me. I probably should experiment with other passes, but I just dont feel like it I guess

If it gives the presh, I do it. If it doesn’t give the presh, I don’t.

Knee slide variants. Started to leg weave too. Do over understand on occasion and try leg drags and speed from distance to get closer.

I force half guard and put pressure on the upper part of the body to free my leg. This has been my most successful pass for years.

I don’t like to stand to break the closed guard, but against open guard I do like the toreando pass.

Against closed guards I prefer pressure passing. I also use the Gracie gift quite a bit, even though it gets a lot of hate (including from my coach lol)

I don’t like to stand to break the closed guard, but against open guard I do like the toreando pass.

Against closed guards I prefer pressure passing. I also use the Gracie gift quite a bit, even though it gets a lot of hate (including from my coach lol)

tbh that works at the highest level as long as u have good base and worked it a lot iv been to gyms where browns use it very successfully against others

I go into a low squat and alternately pressure and float. I’m looking for a knee slice, Lo-style pass, (diving) leg drag, X pass, or a double under depending on their reaction and leg placement. I also lead with my left leg so that throws a lot of people off. I don’t generally take any risks to try to stuff the “outside leg” to get to what Keenan calls “headquarters” because I don’t mind it being there due to my idiosyncratic passing/leglock threat style.

If someone has closed guard I stand to break then go back to my low squat if I can’t get an immediate leg drag or other pass. If they don’t let me stand I do a Tozi-style break and generally end up in classic half. If someone has classic half guard I tend to hip-sit Marcelo style to a pass or just kimura; or pressure my knee through and threaten the knee slice, backstep saddle entry, and butterfly/vegan mount entry until I get one of the three.

If someone establishes inside hooks like butterfly or shin guard I look to create space and repummel my legs - I always want inside position. If I can’t I attempt to clear any upper body controls and shin surf them to a point where I’ve broken their hook 90deg alignment so I can drop into a smash pass, re-pummel my legs, or collapse them into an unfavorable halfguard.

If I get in trouble I enter whatever leg entanglement I can get and use that to either leglock, go straight to a pass (typically by passing a leg over), or control them while I reset back up to my low squat but with their dominant controls removed. Alternatively, I look to get knee advantage, roll through berimbolo-style, and threaten a back take.

If I can ever take a kimura I will and then will use that to pass/armbar/backtake Sakuraba-style (surfing) or Rafa-style (diving).

If I see a clear entry to the saddle I will take it no matter where I am. Other leg entanglements I don’t always go for from top unless it’s a way to clear problematic controls they have on me. The only position I prefer is back control.

My passing is always geared around getting them turned onto one hip or another and then immediately trying to take the back or enter the saddle.

I mostly care about no-gi anymore if that wasn’t obvious.

Knee cut pass fakeout then move to leg drag (if I can duck my head around their top leg I'm there--don't care if they've caught my arm thinking they'll get the triangle; it just turns into a modified wrestlers' cradle and I'm past the leg, so they're really just compromising their own hip position).

Always force halfguard

If knee shield I stand up and xpass, backstep to 411 or I dive for overunder

Overunder that I switch to hug pass or double under if they defend

I believe that you need more than 1 pass in your game

always looking to attack submissions while i pass, especially the kimura, arm-in guillotine, and backstep leg entries; drop to single x as a plan B to preempt a sweep. passes always open up when chained off sub attacks, and vice-versa.

Knee slide. I'm old and have zero cardio. To me, knee slide is the lowest energy pass that works at all levels and for my featherweight class. Change my mind.

Knee slide. I'm old and have zero cardio. To me, knee slide is the lowest energy pass that works at all levels and for my featherweight class. Change my mind.
Mixing it up with some other stuff like leg weaves and maybe long steps etc. would be more efficient so that you wouldn't have to force the knee slide when it's not working.

Mixing it up with some other stuff like leg weaves and maybe long steps etc. would be more efficient so that you wouldn't have to force the knee slide when it's not working.

Yes, the longstep to knee slide combo is very efficient. I also like to hip drop (or switch base if you prefer) Pull the knee a little and go back to knee slide. In the transition it's easier to get a good underhook for your knee slide.

Back