How you think Wilder vs Povetkin would go?

Discussion in 'Boxing Discussion' started by The Penetrator, Dec 6, 2018 at 12:59 AM.

1. RDL81

RDL81 Orange Belt

The most elusive fighter....after a 3 year lay off.....who still got up....twice. I cant see why people cant admit that bombs alone are unlikely to be enough for wilder to be able to dominate the division

2. The Penetrator

The Penetrator Green Belt

Do people think Wilder hits harder than AJ though?

cause the argument is AJ gets hit, and WIlder hits you youre dead. But Wilder gets hit too. Everyone does, cant go swimmin and not get wet. And from what i seen AJ hits as powerful as wilder, if not more considering the weight difference...

3. PUO3

PUO3 You are a can. Staff Member Senior Moderator

Name who does it better at HW than Fury. Ill wait.

Bombs alone arent all he has. Its all he had vs Fury. Huge, huge difference.

4. PUO3

PUO3 You are a can. Staff Member Senior Moderator

I think the first one that lands the big punch wins that fight. Dont see the other recovering and coming back. Its totally fair to have AJ as the favorite in that matchup.

That shit Fury pulled off isnt common, and the ref letting it continue isnt either.

5. GolovkinGOAT

GolovkinGOAT Yellow Card Yellow Card

I think if Povetkin gets his usual dose of some classic Meldonium then MAYBE he has a chance against Wilder.

6. RDL81

RDL81 Orange Belt

Parker like you said does it well albeit differently. Wilder still hasn't fought any other decent boxers other than Fury/Ortiz.

I really want him to be as good as you are saying as then there can be some proper decent fights, but the reality is he hasn't been really tested until his last two. Bombs alone where enough vs lesser oponants...hell if he gets caught like he did by Fury by Povotkin/whyte/AJ highly unlikely he is still standing. But obv they need to catch them and they are different to Fury so you cant make direct comparisons.

I also hate that the top guys only seem to fight twice a year which means unlikely everyone will fight each other when people are in their peak

7. TeenageMutantLesnarTurtle

TeenageMutantLesnarTurtle Green Belt

I think Wilders 3 right hand variations (down the pipe, windmill or wide baseball bat swing) are the most likely to put you down with one shot. He commits so much to them and the latter two are quite likely to catch you somewhere weird and hard to defend like behind the ear or on the top of the head.

Joshuas hooks, uppercuts and body shots are probably more powerful though and I think hes a more clinical finisher if he gets you wobbled.

Philtard likes this.
  8. Philtard

Philtard Black Belt

I think Deontay is the more concussive puncher but accumulation wise AJ has him beat. Every shot AJ throws is solid and it only takes one. Wilder has to wind up although he has a nice jab too

9. ccm22

ccm22 Blue Belt

I think a younger Povetkin would have beaten him without much difficulty, but he’s about 40 now and would fold after about 5 rounds. No point in a fight like this taking place now

PUO3 and Badr Hari like this.
  10. Seano

Seano Hands of bone

Povetkin is overrated. When he fights outside Russia, he mysteriously looks mediocre.

PUO3 likes this.
  11. doubleg

doubleg I will reak Double Yellow Card

only got koed once

12. doubleg

doubleg I will reak Double Yellow Card

too fast for wilder, and punches like a truck

13. Seano

Seano Hands of bone

The guy had 2 tune ups for the Wilder fight. You're exaggerating.

14. JayE

JayE Black Belt

Prime Povetkin had plenty of trouble with the likes of Marco Huck and Carlos Takam. I can't see Wilder ever being an easy fight for him. At the same time Wilder isn't the kind of guy who comes in and has an easy time with top fighters, either. It's a tough fight to call, but Povetkin has always been plenty hittable, and that's not the thing to be against Deontay Wilder.

15. JayE

JayE Black Belt

And Parker just lost to a guy even more raw than Wilder.

PUO3 likes this.
  16. Blazeblack

Blazeblack Blue Belt

Povetkin lacks the movement and ring smarts to avoid that right hand for long.

17. RDL81

RDL81 Orange Belt

Those two fights where a joke and everyone knows it for 1 he spend more time watching the crowd fight then fight himself.