How would you program if...

MMA Maine-iac

Red Belt
@red
Reaction score
You could only deadlift and row?

Short story: I'm afraid years of being in the masonry field has destroyed my left shoulder. Almost every time I set down to do a program something happens to it. I'm waiting to see the doctor to find out if its a tear, pull or something like arthritis. Either way, I'm very limited with my lifts and it's too painful to keep fighting through and maybe making it worse. I used last week as a tester. All varieties of squats, bench, and OHP are simply too painful to do. Deadlifts, rows and tricep pushdowns don't aggravate it. No pull ups or chin ups, though.

So, in case this is something in the "itis" family and not a legit injury, any of you seasoned lifters have an idea of how to continue lifting just using the lifts that don't bother me? Or what would you do?

I'd clear that with a one or few sports docs and seek therapy than improves the situation. But it's an interesting proposition. If I'd continue to lift three times a week, I'd set up a heavy-light-med deadlift routine, with different rowing variations and pushdowns.

But are these all you can do right now? No belt squats, lunges with a weighted backpack, curls, facepulls, abs?
Loaded carries seem to pose no problem as a mason, maybe some farmer walks or sled work?

Last edited by a moderator:
Holding the bar during squats puts too much pressure on my shoulder. I tried to squat today, and it gave out. Thank goodness for safety bars lol. Curls are a no go. Facepulls are manageable. I've not tried lunges or farmers walk, but I think those would be ok, since I can hold deadlifts at lockout with no pain.

Where are you located?

You should definitely have an assessment from a PT or DC to see if there is anything that warrants their services, then find a Trainer that can actually help with reinforcing what you rehabbed.

Short story: I'm afraid years of being in the masonry field has destroyed my left shoulder. Almost every time I set down to do a program something happens to it. I'm waiting to see the doctor to find out if its a tear, pull or something like arthritis. Either way, I'm very limited with my lifts and it's too painful to keep fighting through and maybe making it worse. I used last week as a tester. All varieties of squats, bench, and OHP are simply too painful to do. Deadlifts, rows and tricep pushdowns don't aggravate it. No pull ups or chin ups, though.

So, in case this is something in the "itis" family and not a legit injury, any of you seasoned lifters have an idea of how to continue lifting just using the lifts that don't bother me? Or what would you do?

Is the pain load-dependent, or do even unloaded variants cause pain?

So far any kind of pushing motion, bench, push ups, ohp with just the bar cause pain. Low bar squats hurt too, but high bar aren't as bad. Still don't feel great.

Of course the first thing would be to see a doc and see if you can get fixed up.

Belt squats? Not a lot of places have those but if you're lucky enough to be where they have them. Lunges holding dumbbells, especially if farmer's walk doesn't bug you. Core work. Shrugs. Rowing machine? Lateral raises?

Not point in getting advice before seeing a doctor.

Leg press or plyo squat jumps as a sub for squats.

PT for shoulder.

Lots of core work.

I've rehabbed a shoulder and still have chronic shoulder problems from rugby. I suggest warm-up, then shoulder rehab using bands or cables or tiny dumbbells whatever you have available, then do the rest of your workout, leaving rehab to the end, means it is more likely to be skipped.

If you can't put a barbell across your shoulder and don't have access to a belt squat contraption, you can still do dumbbell or kettle bell lunges, split squats, rear elevated split squats or step ups.

If you can only pull and not push I still think you could make gains, there are lots of rows, cable, dumbbell, barbell, t-bar etc. You also can do a variety of raises front, side, rear. I'd be careful trying to pull too heavy of a deadlift or any weight, really you can do a lot with a bum shoulder as far as lower body, you can also just train your good arm and do one arm dumbbell bench press or incline press, if you must bench. Same with rowing, you could always row with just your good arm, or go heavier on your good side using dumbbells or cables.

After doing nothing for five weeks, I tried to squat today and was able to without any pain. So that was good. I only did around 70%, but there wasn't an issue. These were high bar. Front squats put too much strain on my shoulders.

My shoulder problem is weird. The pain is along my clavicle and can run up into my neck muscles. I'm wondering if I've done some kind of damage to the AC joint. I think that's what it's called. The bone around that area is what hurts.

Still waiting for my appointment at the end of the month.

Thanks for the replies and advice.

Well when you can't do 3/4 of the normal exercises out there, it would seem like it's more important to get healthy than to get your deadlift up. So go to a doctor and get fixed. Ignoring the issue and working around it is literally the dumbest shit you can do.

Check out Power for the People. It has a lot of variations of deadlifts, some as substitutes for squats.

I had a similar issue with my shoulders where I couldn't press or do pull-ups, so I was mainly doing swings and tactical lunges with heavy kettlebells.

Can you do deltoid raises? Or are those out as well?

Anyways, see a physical therapist ASAP. Better than any reply we could possibly give you.

Back