How would you have seen comebacking Foreman vs Holmes panning out?

RawHawg

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
Like perhaps around 1992 when both were competing at a high level? That was a fight that I had always hoped would materialize, was rumored to be in the works, but of course never happened. Foreman made no secret that he was very selective about who he fought, depending on what he had to gain vs the risk factor. I seem to recall that he was not shy about saying that he didn't like going against tall fighters who could jab well and move. Not many could jab better than Holmes, but this 92 Holmes was not moving much and spending a lot of time on the ropes and in the corners, like when he outsmarted Mercer. I would think this would have been a fairly even odds fight.

I don't see Foreman falling for the rope a dope twice. Holmes would have to stick and move in my eyes. Foreman would spark him if they stand toe to toe or even in the corner. Holmes was a great technician but I don't see him going the distance with Foreman without the movement, and the jab.

Holmes had good head movement against Mercer. Foreman needs to attack the body, get Holmes to gradually drop that guard. Then try for some head hunting. In no way shape or form was Mercer cracking like Foreman.

Last edited:
Holmes in 92 pretty much stayed on the ropes. Worked well with Mercer....

I dunno if presenting a stationary target to even comeback Foreman would have been wise

There is a reason Foreman didn't fight Holmes, he knew it was all wrong for him. You have to remember those guys came back because they didn't think the fighters were very good in that era, lots of guys came back. If Ali and Norton weren't so damaged they would have came back too, so would Joe Frazier, all those guys left all their fight in the seventies, Quarry came back with tragic results, ron lyle came back and many fringe contenders of the 80s were giving the lewis' and bowe's tough fights. Anyway, George doesn't get the credit for the management job he did for himself, he made very smart choices and one of those was not fighting a guy like holmes who knew his craft, cut his teeth in his era and could employ a strategy that would beat George. Larry would use angles, not dance, battle of jabs, win a decision and I think he had the chin and the heart to make it through to that decision. It's funny but old george and young george had different but major weakness'. when he was young, he was fast, he could cut off a ring better than anyone ever did against ali (his words) then, of course with age and weight, those legs didn't have the same capability and he knew it. Old george knew how to pace himself through a long tough fight, the same mental/physical issue with stamina would never happen to old george. Like the older Ali, age seemed to make his will stronger.

Back