How would Stipe have done against Fedor's competition in PRIDE?

Discussion in 'The Wasteland' started by superpunch, Mar 8, 2018.

1. TrueFightFan

TrueFightFan Fight Purist

My take is this, Miocic is a great fighter and has done well for the competition they have thrown at him but he did have his "Struve moment" and it goes to show how hard it is to go 10 years undefeated in a division where any one shot could end your night. I don't think anyone, ANYONE, would say that Struve was an upper echelon or elite heavyweight yet he KO'd Miocic and made it look pretty easy. Aside from beating a "way past their prime" Noguiera and Silva, his only noteworthy win is his KO of Miocic. This is not a knock on Miocic because, again, it is almost impossible for any heavyweight to get out unscathed but it just goes to show how incredible Fedor's streak was. Call his opponents "cans" or mediocre or whatever you want, the current UFC GOAT's record proves that you CAN never count out a CAN in the heavyweight division. Call his loss a fluke, call his loss accidental but it still shows what can happen in this division and, as for Fedor, he beat everyone they put in front of him, especially the cans. We all succumb to age and Fedor is no different but look at the guys who everyone was claiming were potential goats and look how many fights they've had and how far they've fallen... Velasquez and Dos Santos.... I won't even mention Ngannou because half of the Shertard tards were on that NEW GOAT boat and I don't want to ruffle any feathers.

HHJ likes this.
  2. HHJ

HHJ Plutonium Belt

Fedor,cro cop,nogueira,barnett
    Cain,jds,stipe,werdum

The difference here is not large.
    There isnt a heavy evolution

3. Breakfast Bar

Breakfast Bar Brown Belt

Back then Kevin Randleman was slow, CroCop’s kicks weren’t really hard, Hunt won a different type of K1 Grand Pride, Ogawa and Coleman competed in more primitive versions of Judo and wrestling in the Olympics and Hoi Man Choi was actually not that tall. The sport has evolved.

4. TrueFightFan

TrueFightFan Fight Purist

True. The only things that have evolved are the rules.

5. Koro_11

Koro_11 Silver Belt

Big Foot Silva beat Overeem too. And Serra beat GSP and Bisping beat Rockhold, and Randleman beat Cro Cop and Dennis Bermudez beat Max Holloway, and so on.

But you know all this, so don’t play stupider than you are.

6. MCS

MCS Gold Belt

Cro Cop would've been very difficult stylistically. Stipe would have to be on point with the pressure boxing. Him being tall makes it tough to get into shooting range, CC's TDD too good. Patient measuring kickboxing means CC gets to choose where his kicks and straights land. He got high/middle/low kick 1-shot (T)KO's. Pressure boxing while avoiding CC's side-step counter left, or he gets KO'd.

7. Koro_11

Koro_11 Silver Belt

I’m not one of those buying into a big evolution, especially at HW. I think Fedor was great and a prime Fedor would be a serious contender even today. But the 10 year unbeaten thing is very misleading because as champ he got to fight a lot of scrubs too. M

Cro Cop and Nog were great wins, Coleman and Schilt were good wins too, and you might come up with a few more notable names, but then there’s a bunch of joke matchups, and a period where we was out for a while with the thumb injury.

So not really trying to discredit him, I think he was one of the greatest, but the Godlike status he’s gained with some overzealous fanboys is too much, you have to consider all the factors.

8. Gabe

Gabe Saturdays are for the Boys

Where do you rank Bigfoot and Hendo?

9. wearetheromans

wearetheromans Brown Belt

Stipe couldn't even get past struve and you expect him to beat a bigger, stronger, better striking opponent? (HMC)

10. Rod Farva

Rod Farva War Big Nog!

If you want to discredit Fedor, you will find a way. Were there some lousy fighters in there? Yes.

Be consistent though and look at the fighters as they were at the time.

Randleman
    Schilt
    Coleman
    Nog
    Cro Cop
    Ogawa was a Olympic medalist
    Fujita
    Heath Herring
    Arlovski
    Sylvia

Not every guy on this list went on to be a legend. But there really wasn’t anyone in PRIDE that he didn’t fight. Where are guys like Ngannou, Struve and Shane Del Rosario going to be on the legends list ten years from now?

11. hugemmafan22

hugemmafan22 Banned Banned

Coleman was also in his 40’s when he fought Fedor and 40 is 7 years passed when a fighter is completely shot and done because as we all know fighters are done by age 33.

12. Omega Man

Omega Man Black Belt

I think he would match Fedors record.

13. fightfan84

fightfan84 Silver Belt

its more of a wear and tear type thing in professional sports and combat sports in general then age.
    But yea a juiced up coleman still had flashes of excellence and could cause stipe problems.

Typrune Goatley likes this.
  14. hugemmafan22

Has Cro Cop ever gotten a head kick finish against a high level heavyweight fighter?

15. hugemmafan22

Such as how?

16. superpunch

superpunch Silver Belt

i think that's just a rationalization for why MMA has so many 30+ year old athletes without having to admit that the competition is just weak compared to other sports

17. Claude

Claude Red Belt

Wouldn't even make it a year undefeated. Gets wrecked by Schilt like this:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sorry, Stipe is not that good.

fightfan84 likes this.
  18. fightfan84

fightfan84 Silver Belt

strong as fuck, grandfather of the ground and pound. I think he could control stipe.
    He was always subject to face punches and stipe is amazing at punching faces. I think sergie in his prime would be a good fight for stipe too, even alex emil. neither fought fedor. Shilts probably gives him trouble too if theres no weight limit. Gary juiced up would be a better option then coleman.

19. fightfan84

fightfan84 Silver Belt

its super hard on the body going thru a fight camp man let alone actual fights. Sambo career, fighting career plus life. Its a tough sport to have longevity in at the top

20. hugemmafan22

Hahaha yup everybody that fought in pride is way way better now than they ever were. Nostalgia and human nature are a funny thing.