How would Fedor's intermediate level opponents do in todays heavyweight division?

A well rounded Semmy Schilt would be amazing, but I can't really see it happening unfortunately.

His win over Pete Williams was awesome, definitely the first fighter in the UFC I saw that made me think "Now this guy is a striker well above MMA level".

Schilt_Williams_TKO.gif

Herring is the best of that list, I think he is a tough out for anyone in todays game, or yesterdays.

Heath's best wins are against Mark Kerr, 50 fight Igor, and Kongo. He's probably the only fighter given more credit than Gus for fighting well in his losses.

Heath is a tough guy, but a mediocre fighter at best.

Fedors competition was much better than the current HW's. I think they would all be in the top 10-15 area.

any hw on the roster can rip off a 2 win streak and get title shot

Heath's best wins are against Mark Kerr, 50 fight Igor, and Kongo. He's probably the only fighter given more credit than Gus for fighting well in his losses.

Heath is a tough guy, but a mediocre fighter at best.
ya.

I read so much stupidity on this thread, I had to create an account to clarify some reality. No #1..I know people have a complete inability to think for themselves nowadays, but after one person mentioned Heath Herring, all the other knuckleheads started piling on and naming him like he was actually a top fighter during PRIDE days. Fedor turned his face into hamburger, and Herring didn't make it to the second round. Big Nog took GNP punches harder than any UFC could hope to ever muster, and he was a UFC champion when he was far past his prime-imagine what he would do nowadays in his prime. And he wasn't even the best in PRIDE. I wonder how many of you have even watched one single PRIDE fight. No mention of Big Nog in the whole first page? Clueless.

none are top 5, or even close, although a big hitter like Rogers could take a top fiver out on a lucky night.

Herring is the best of that list, I think he is a tough out for anyone in todays game, or yesterdays.

Fujita was a punching bag, made of granite, but no real offensive threat. I think Fedor is the only good fighter he hurt, aside from breaking hands on his head.

Rogers mostly sucks, but is big, athletic and hits hard.

Schilt was a beauty. Great combat fighter, tough as nails.... its just the wrestling that would always hold him back. I consider him a rich man's Steven Struve, for what thats worth.

Choi. I dont know. I cant see him being easy for anyone, but, just not enough info.

Depending on matchups, if those guys were prime and in the UFC right now, Herring and Schilt would wander in and out of the top ten, I figure.

"Herring is the best of that list."

Wow, you're clueless. A guy that couldn't even sniff the PRIDE championship was the best? Watch the Fedor fight and educate yourself, before speaking out and removing all doubt that you have the slightest clue you know what you're talking about. I supposed you missed the Schilt/Kharitonov fight where he got completely destroyed.

Surprised you didn't mention Giant Silva as top ten material too.

Don't think any could be top5 except for maybe semmy.

Great logic (not). A guy that wasn't champion in PRIDE and got destroyed by about the #4 contender would have been champ today. People's abilities to think for themselves today extends as far as reading anothers comments then copying and pasting apparently.

"Herring is the best of that list."

Wow, you're clueless. A guy that couldn't even sniff the PRIDE championship was the best? Watch the Fedor fight and educate yourself, before speaking out and removing all doubt that you have the slightest clue you know what you're talking about. I supposed you missed the Schilt/Kharitonov fight where he got completely destroyed.

Surprised you didn't mention Giant Silva as top ten material too.
Who is the best on the list, then?

I'd ask @kikikhan if he was still with us

that dude made so many threads glorifying Fedor's old opponents so as to prop up the man's career accomplishments or whatever

'Chris Haseman would fuck up any UFC HW'

If Struve could KO Stipe someone like Schilt could be a force too. Especially with a good camp.

Prime Herring wasn't much worse than Travis Browne.

Fujita could be top 20 for sure.

Schilt top 5
Herring and Rogers top 10/15
Choi and Fujita top 20 imo

All would struggle? No way. I think you're over valueing who is in the HW division. You're saying Heath Herring, Semmy Schilt, Brett Rogers wouldn't be in the 10-15 rankings pretty easy? Come on....Arlovski is #10 and old as fuck.

10 Andrei Arlovski 25-14-0
11 Stefan Struve 32-8-0
12 Alexander Volkov 27-6-0
13 Daniel Omielanczuk 19-6-1
14 Aleksei Oleinik 51-10-1
15 Tim Johnson 10-3-0

Not to mention a guy like Rodgers beat Arlovski before he got old.

Schilt and Herring would do OK. Fujita could get some wins.
Choi and Rogers are a joke. One is a giant that cannot fight at HW and the other is a big slow dude with a big punch, he could get a big win but once figured out he would be destroyed by pretty much everybody. He beat Arlovski because Arlovski is possibly the easiest guy to KO at HW, dude has been KOed by Datsik.
Datsik is literally retarded.
Fedor had a weird fight with Rogers because he was old and underrated his strength and size but once in the stand up he KOed him.

I read so much stupidity on this thread, I had to create an account to clarify some reality. No #1..I know people have a complete inability to think for themselves nowadays, but after one person mentioned Heath Herring, all the other knuckleheads started piling on and naming him like he was actually a top fighter during PRIDE days. Fedor turned his face into hamburger, and Herring didn't make it to the second round. Big Nog took GNP punches harder than any UFC could hope to ever muster, and he was a UFC champion when he was far past his prime-imagine what he would do nowadays in his prime. And he wasn't even the best in PRIDE. I wonder how many of you have even watched one single PRIDE fight. No mention of Big Nog in the whole first page? Clueless.

No one mentioned Big Nog because the topic is specifically about "the intermediate level" opponents Fedor faced. Big Nog was one of his elite opponents. Herring is inherently being considered as intermediate in this conversation.

Back