How would Bears do living in Africa? | Page 3

Discussion in 'Mayberry Lounge' started by squeezewax, Feb 9, 2018.

1. Spoken Silver Belt

Spoken
    ...and lions run 50. And the larger sources of prey that lions eat all run around 35. Most grizzlies arent running 35 miles an hour, though it obviously happens. This is a reason lions often hunt as a pride as well... easier to catch prey that are just minimally slower than you.

Again, considering a bear's diet in places I've lived, whether Montana or Alaska, the transition would be impossible.

But the Atlas bear, the one bear who is (was?) in africa probably ate roots and nuts and shit.

I'm feeling confident about this. I dont see a grizzly surviving africa. That said, if I get filthy rich one day, we can test that shit and find out

mb23100, Leagon and VivaRevolution like this.
  2. TSO Cookie monster belt

TSO
    Bears survived smilodon and the California lion. I think they would do pretty well in Africa if the weather weren't a factor.

Fugazy and raty tat tat like this.
  3. Treeloy Purple Belt

Treeloy
    I think the bear would struggle with catching animals. It would probably starve

4. Amerikuracana Yellow Card

Amerikuracana
    They would get hot and either start to change or die, probably.

Probably better than cheetahs in Alaska?

yamahacrasher likes this.
  5. Fluffernutter Black Belt

Fluffernutter
    Africa is a huge continent with varying ecosystems.

I am sure one of them could support a healthy bear population.

Martian 2.0, jgarner, Fugazy and 2 others like this.
  6. Secret Agent MANNY DIXON-DIÁZ

Secret Agent
    With minimal supplies the average man would be dead inside of minutes inside a whirlpool of second graders.

7. Ezekiel 25:17 Orange Belt

Ezekiel 25:17
    They use to do animal vs animal fights in the roman colosseum, unfortunately there are no concrete records that suggest which animal was the most dominant. Im thinking either bull elephants or rhinos for obvious reasons.

If you are asking how bears would do in africa.....not good. Bears are solitary creatures much like tigers, and much like tigers, they would get hunted down by pack hunters such as lions and hyenas. African animals form gangs lol. So even if you are a shit kicking fighter.....good luck against a squad. The south american rain forrest and African savanna are two of the most unforgiving places on earth as far as survivability amongst other animals.

Leagon likes this.
  8. bad seed Labor Creates All Wealth

bad seed
    no, there are plenty of solitary hunters in Africa- leopards, caracals, male lions without a pride. And there are bears that live in the jungles of SE Asia.
    [​IMG]
    Tigers prey on the juveniles but leave adults alone.

Cuzcatlan and TheGZA like this.
  9. BearGrounds A great many scalps.

BearGrounds
    On The Frontier west of the Hudson River.
  10. Ah Man Brown Belt

Ah Man
    Nitpicking here, but it's about adaptability to the ecosystem, which includes the biological elements. It's not uncommon that a predator introduced to an ecosystem finds a bunch of prey who have not adapted any defenses to it, and starts killing things left and right. Hence the whole invasive species thing. Think Burmese pythons.

They may not need to. If we're thinking African savanna, for example, there are some places where male lions do not hunt, because game density is so high that they can always scavenge something. Spotted hyenas will defend a kill from female lions given a large enough numerical advantage, but not male lions, because the individual size disparity is so large. I can see larger bear species enjoying a similar advantage and doing quite well scavenging from smaller predators like hyenas and cheetahs.

Bears are also pretty good at digging up moths, and it would be interesting to see if they could make a living off termite mounds. Bears also do pretty well with garbage produced by humans, which is plentiful in some places.

Just to add to this, there are also a lot of different bears. I doubt polar bears would do well in the NamibRand desert, but it's pretty unthinkable to me that no species of bear would be successful in any African ecosystem.

There are plenty of solitary hunters in Africa, although most of them are smaller and avoid conflict with the bigger ones. It would be interesting to see whether lions actively hunt larger species of bears. I think they probably would, but whether they'd hunt them to extirpation, I'm not sure. Anyway, there are plenty of places in Africa without lions.

I think the bigger issues are crocodiles and snakes. Bears would likely need a lot of water to keep their temperature down and larger pools of water in Africa tend to mean crocodiles, many of which are large enough to bring down any bear, to say nothing of bear cubs. The biggest issue that's pretty much continent-wide is venomous snakes. Africa is a whole different ballgame from the Americas when it comes to venomous snakes, hence the tendency for African primates to have trichromatic vision, while American primates tend to have dichromatic or even monochromatic vision. Poor adaptation to its snakes could make it really difficult for a large mammal to thrive in most parts of Africa.

11. IIIIIIII Titanium Belt

IIIIIIII
    i think a grizzly bear would destroy any big cat. their skin is incredibly thick and tough. they'd probably struggle with rhinos and elephants. definitely elephants lol.

12. Treeloy Purple Belt

Treeloy
    Ive seen tigers and lions fight bears and the bear always wins.

With that said a rhino or hippo would fuck a bear up bad. Elephants can take out anything

13. 90 50 Brown Belt

90 50
    Mountain lions don’t fuck with grizzlys or black bears and they live in the same areas all over the states.

I’m thinking lions etc would not either.

I think they’d do aight

14. FacePunch Double Yellow Card

FacePunch
    They'd walk up to any kill from any predator and just fucking take it. Hibernation? Lol. They only hibernate because of a harsh winter. They'd adapt to a warmer climate.

Bears run down deer and elk all the time. There is plenty of food in Africa for bears.

Bear stamina >>> Big cats.

Only advantage a lion would have would be working in groups.

15. Kanuck99 Orange Belt

Kanuck99
    The honey badger would be fucked.

Cuzcatlan likes this.
  16. raty tat tat Purple Belt

raty tat tat
    I wonder how Wolverines would
    do in Africa

There were Bears in North Africa at one time.

17. squeezewax Brown Belt

squeezewax
    Well leopards and cheetahs can get by ok being solitary. Sure they do lose a lot of their kills to others predators, especially the cheetahs as they can't pull their prey up a tree like a leopard.

This thread wasn't just about one animal vs another in a fight, i was wondering where a bear or tiger would end up living and the types of prey they'd end up surviving on.
    BUT, lets face it, i think lots of us wonder about which animal would win in a fight with another type. It doesn't mean we want it to happen in real life or we hate animals, it's just imagination. So criticizing people who are interested in that sort of thing need to shut up, it's only pretending!

18. shunyata Black Belt

shunyata
    This has already been done.

For a brief period it was all the rage to import male lions into California in the 1800s.

The idea was to have a fight to the death with a grizzly and said male lion.

Promoters would charge admission to the fights but make most of their money on the bets.

This whole process folded up in a very short period of time, I think less than a decade.

It was not profitable at all. The lion gets wrecked every single time so after the first fight the house couldn't make any money on the bets with the bear being a sure thing. This coupled with the significant expense of shipping a lion to California doomed the whole process.

All of the fights were over really fast, as soon as the bear laid a paw on the lion it would crack its skull and the fight was over.

Africa has wolverines. They are called honey badgers.

On the original topic, if a large bear in Africa could magically deal with the heat and getting enough water year round they would probably engage in raiding bee and termite colonies as well as good old fashioned thuggery (stealing kills from weaker smaller predators).

Last edited: Feb 9, 2018
  19. syct23 ...ElipsisBelt...

syct23
    Fascinating...

All I'm asking for is some decent footage..

20. shunyata Black Belt

shunyata
    Sadly none has survived.

With the weight difference it would be like Stipe Miocic fighting an athletic 11 year old child.

The results were similar. Weight classes exist for a reason.

Also if anyone was wondering, there are several big cat parks in China where lions and tigers live together. The tigers are much larger and heavier and male lions will take it on the chin from a tigress without even fighting back. They just get smashed in the face and then play submissive. There is footage of that. Lions really aren't all that 1 on 1.