How would Bears do living in Africa?

they'd die quickly. Notice the alpha predators are fast and nimble in Africa? Bears survive on fish and/or berries. Also, no hibernation possible.

They have too much unnecessary body weight in the form of fat. Yes, that helps them in a one-on-one fight with a lion, but it means that they have to consume much more food to sustain themselves and, contrary to Sherdog belief, most of a predator's diet doesn't come from eating other predators after one-on-one death matches. They will be much less nimble than the other alpha predators in the jungle and they do not hunt in packs. I think that they will likely be scavengers who try to take food from other predators, but I doubt that that will successfully sustain them.

A pack of lions would own a bear, so would a pack of hyenas.

Grizzly would own a tiger.

Elephants would kill a grizzly.

Hippo vs grizzly would be interesting.

In reality, one would retreat, and the other wouldn't pursue, because they are all dangerous. Fantasy fight to the death match, I got grizzly 1 on 1 beating everything but 24 foot crocodile, full grown bull elephant, and like I said hippo vs grizzly would be interesting.

they'd die quickly. Notice the alpha predators are fast and nimble in Africa? Bears survive on fish and/or berries. Also, no hibernation possible.

Bears are actually very fast and nimble. Also smart as shit. It's really the weather that would do them in.

Bears are actually very fast and nimble. Also smart as shit. It's really the weather that would do them in.
They aren't going to catch the kind of prey lions are catching, lol, nor do the have the weaponry to do it. Their claws don't function like a cat's.

They have too much unnecessary body weight in the form of fat. Yes, that helps them in a one-on-one fight with a lion, but it means that they have to consume much more food to sustain themselves and, contrary to Sherdog belief, most of a predator's diet doesn't come from eating other predators after one-on-one death matches. They will be much less nimble than the other alpha predators in the jungle and they do not hunt in packs. I think that they will likely be scavengers who try to take food from other predators, but I doubt that that will successfully sustain them.

That's not really fair. Bears go like 6 months without eating.

They are only fat because they are about to go 6 months without eating.

Mate with giraffes and make a new super predator

They aren't going to catch the kind of prey lions are catching, lol, nor do the have the weaponry to do it. Their claws don't function like a cat's.

I would bet that anything a tiger can catch, a grizzly could catch.

FYI a grizzly's top speed is 35 mph.

It could also take down larger prey.

They’d probably get by with a little help from a friend.

tumblr_mbc2a6RKpJ1rafupso1_500.jpg

@Zookeeper Gabe Would probably give the best answer one this.
Aren't there some bear species that live in more tropical areas in Asia? They might do fine. Since bears are omnivorous they might not directly compete with carnivores.
Are you trolling Gabe?

If there is anything he seems to hate on this forum it is fictitious 'what animal would win' fights.

At best he might speak to why the bear would not adapt to that clime.

Large bears would own a lion. Only a tiger, elephant or rhino or wild hippo couls take them. I don't think any crocodile could. But no tigers in Africa right?

Tigers can not take them. People have placed both in a fight to the death. Bears win every time pretty easily.

Might depend on the habitat. A bear probably wouldn't do well in a savanna, but might better adapt in a jungle or the mountains.
I know he hates these, but I'd like to get input from @Zookeeper Gabe

well, i dont know if they would fully adapt to the heat and the lack of a heavy winter

Not sure what thier main diet woudl be either.

Regarding other animals- I bet they would slot in pretty well. They leave rhinos and elephants along, and they are too big for lions to hunt.

they would have to compete with hippos for the bodies of water that might be a problem for them hippos can be 11-17 ft long and weight 4,000 lbs most bears are only 1,300 lbs and usually 6 ft tall.

I wonder how Grizzlies would fair if they were introduced to African countries? Obviously that will never happen of course, but in some other weird world it did, i wonder how they'd go competing with the hyena and the big cats?
I suppose they wouldn't really cross paths with lions that much as lions like the open plains don't they?
What about tigers in Africa? Again they'd be in a different habitat than the lions, but probably the same as the bears.

You do know that there literally used to be bears that lived in Africa right? The atlas bear was a brown bear species that was introduced to Africa during the Roman empire and had an expansive range access northern Africa. It did well except for all the humans hunting it to extinction.

Last edited:
Yeah there are some in Asia.
The bear in Africa would have to be in a forest type habitat. I wonder how a big grizzly would fair against a Silverback Gorilla. The male gorilla always does a bit of bluff charging, doesn't he? But if he saw the grizzly weren't leaving he'd have to fight or run. Good amount of meat on a big gorilla.

I've seen some shows on this guy in Africa who keeps tigers and breeds them on his large acreage.
I think it's called 'The Tiger Man of Africa?'

The grizzly would fuck the gorilla up

Gorillas are strong but don't have the bone density to compare with a grizzly, and grizzlies have claws

They used to stage these fights in 19th century, grizzlies always won

Back