How would a prime Tim Sylvia fair in the modern HW landscape?

Aside from that one KO over Arlovski Sylvia never really beat a legit HW.

He had a jab and could stick to a gameplan though so he'd still be floating in that 10-15 range in today's division.
And that’s exactly the the type of noobs I was talking about.

Dude, shut the fuck up.

Way too tall for Cormier, DC would be punching vertically upwards while Tim would knee/uppercut his head into the 5th row.

Couture didn't have any problems with height/reach, he just took him down and all that height went to shit on the mats

Couture didn't have any problems with height/reach, he just took him down and all that height went to shit on the mats

Actually goes to show how underrated Couture is. After losing to Randy, Tim made Brandon Vera look silly and dominated Nog before a classic, comeback submission.

Tim had just bested Prime Arlovski for the second time in a row and defended against Monson, one of the better HW grapplers to ever compete.

Aside from wins over Ricco and Arlovski Sylvia never really beat an elite HW, most of his wins were against fighters who were good for the time but despite it's weakness I think the current top 10 is better than most of Tim's resume.

He had a jab and could stick to a gameplan though so he'd still be floating in that 10-15 range in today's division.

So he beat 2 all time greats. He also holds wins over Rothwell. He didn't have as much to work with but he has quality wins

Actually, no.

He beat/schooled Valentijn, another tough mofo at that time, and by heel hook no less (Valentijn was quite good at it)

Remember> Valentijn could be considered a ranked win in 2001:

Stephen Quadros Top 10
Last Updated Friday 6-1-01
HEAVYWEIGHT 205 lb and up (93 kg and up)

1. Mark Coleman
2. Igor Vovchanchyn
3. Rodrigo Nogueira
4. Randy Couture
5. Kazuyuki Fujita
6. Heath Herring
7. Pedro Rizzo
8. Semmy Schilt
9. Valetijn Overeem
10. Tra Telligman

His loss to Aleks Emelianenko was a close one, split dec.

And at the tail end of his career, he lost to Kongo (majority dec) and dec loss to Sylvia, while being severely undersized
(in that transitional era, he could no longer be realistically considered a legit natural HW)

imo his skillset was worth noting: interesting mix of sheer violence on the feet coupled with a legit submission game, mostly leglocks.

Good fighter.

I admit he was a good fighter, and yeah I was a bit wrong on his record starting with the Valentijn fight he went 9-6-1, a bit better than the .500 record I originally credited him with.

Like I said, no joke, but also a beatable fighter.

Way to be unnecessarily rude bud.
Oh, I feel it was totally necessary. Guys like go on fightfinder, watch a few clips and then talk shit about fighters. No context. It’s often the same people who take a shit on Royce, thinking it’s easy to slap a sub on a 250lbs juiced up fighter because guys were just not that good before. I’m just tired of this.

End of rant

I'm sorry, but if someone as unimpressive and generic as Marcin "I lost to Timothy Johnson" Tybura is top 10, then prime Sylvia makes that list too. Tuivasa got to fight Arlovski for a spot in the top 10 after beating Cyril Asker FFS.

I admit he was a good fighter, and yeah I was a bit wrong on his record starting with the Valentijn fight he went 9-6-1, a bit better than the .500 record I originally credited him with.

Like I said, no joke, but also a beatable fighter.
oh for sure beatable... That generation, guys like Assuerio or Valentijn, was not really about gameplans or calculating in the ring...

Beatable but highly dangerous.

Oh, I feel it was totally necessary. Guys like go on fightfinder, watch a few clips and then talk shit about fighters. No context. It’s often the same people who take a shit on Royce, thinking it’s easy to slap a sub on a 250lbs juiced up fighter because guys were just not that good before. I’m just tired of this.

End of rant

Please. Conor would wreck prime Tim and make it look easy. It's a different era now man.

Tim is one of the worst and weakest champ in ufc history. He would be lucky to crack top 8

UFC HW has always been weak and still is. Timmy would do fine.

I think he loses to Stipe but KOs everyone else

Way too tall for Cormier, DC would be punching vertically upwards while Tim would knee/uppercut his head into the 5th row.
Timmeh was getting outboxed by a 5'9" Jeff Monson.

Prime Tim is criminally underrated.
He’d beat a fair few of those guys. Certainly #15 - #10 and easilly some of the top 10 imo

A prime Sylvia beat up Cabbage and koed Ricco...koed McGee...called out Fedor and then got busted for steroids (McGee fight)...got armbared by Mir...ankle locked by Arlovski...koed Telligman...was holding on to the fence to avoid getting taken down against Silva (didn't he also shit himself against Silva?)...put on 2 sleepers against Arlovski and Monson...

... a prime Sylvia would probably get busted by USADA today...

But, he sure had good skills on the feet for a 6ft8 guy...
His heigh, reach, good and powerful straight punches would give a lot if guys trouble today....
Guys like: Lewis, Struve, Francis and a couple more would definetly have a lot of trouble with him.

Last edited:
Tim Sylvia had good distance control and a jab but that's pretty much it. The guy was always over-rated by UFC fans.

His best win was probably over Andrei Arlovski..followed by Ricco who beat Randy in like 2002

A prime Tim Sylvia, we're talking after his win over Ricco up until his second reign as champ would be a top 5, he could beat anyone on that entire list. I wouldn't favor him to beat some of the upper guys like Stipe, Cormier, but I would favor him over him anyone in the 4-10 aside JDS. Overeem would be a good fight. Lets keep in mind were talking a prime Tim Sylvia vs the current HW, a lot of these guys are old.

Tim Sylvia had good distance control and a jab but that's pretty much it. The guy was always over-rated by UFC fans.

His best win was probably over Andrei Arlovski..followed by Ricco who beat Randy in like 2002

And that's what made him so effective and good, you only need to be strong basics. He had like you said good distance control which is one of the most important things in mma for striking and grappling defense, had a good jab and he had a very good power right hand. It's like Jon Jones, he's not the most skilled striker at LHW but he is the most effective one and he does a few things very well.

Back