How would a prime Tim Sylvia fair in the modern HW landscape?

He also beat prime Ricco, young Ben Rothwell, Assuerio Silva, Mike Whitehead 2x, Cabbage, Gan McGee, Tra Telligman, Jeff Monson, and others

The head kick KO over Tra was scary. Many thought Tra was dead.

tumblr_m67or3IqH01ry1rm7o1_250.gif

I shouldn't have said legit HW, he has lots of wins over legit HWs of the time, I guess I meant elite/top level.
Yeah Ricco was a good win I overlooked.
Rothwell is a good win but it was so early in his career it was hard for me to credit Tim much for it (I know it was early in Tim's career as well)

The other fighters on his resume are good fighters for the time but not elite IMO.

Tim was a good fighter, I just think most of his resume is made up of journeymen. Although saying that it's always misleading to look back on a fighter's resume, you can literally discredit any fighter that way.

prime timmy would be heavyweight champ or top5

I doubt he would hold any belt but he would give plenty of good HWs fits.

DC would send Timmeh to the graveyard. Imagine Randy/Timmeh times 10.

LOLOLOLOL

I shouldn't have said legit HW, he has lots of wins over legit HWs of the time, I guess I meant elite/top level.
Yeah Ricco was a good win I overlooked.
Rothwell is a good win but it was so early in his career it was hard for me to credit Tim much for it (I know it was early in Tim's career as well)

The other fighters on his resume are good fighters for the time but not elite IMO.

Tim was a good fighter, I just think most of his resume is made up of journeymen. Although saying that it's always misleading to look back on a fighter's resume, you can literally discredit any fighter that way.
You´d better believe that Assuerio Silva was no joke though...

He holds two wins over the best version of Arlovski. So there’s that.

You´d better believe that Assuerio Silva was no joke though...

After Silva left Brazil and started fighting guys with Wiki pages he quickly amassed a .500 record. His wins during that period include MW/LHW Alessio Sakara, LHW Igor Pokrajac, and whoever Dave Anderton and Terroll Dees are. He also lost every one of his 3 UFC fights.
He wasn't a joke but he was no world-beater.

I think 2003 Sylvia would have a reasonable chance against a fair few of those guys. Dude was a scary finisher for a while there, then it went downhill pretty quick.

People like to hate, but up to around 2005/2006, Sylvia was a must watch fighter. Only went to the judges something like twice in his first ~20 fights.

I think he loses to Stipe but KOs everyone else

Way too tall for Cormier, DC would be punching vertically upwards while Tim would knee/uppercut his head into the 5th row.

I wanna say you're wrong but I remember that world class ADCC grappler Jeff Monson couldn't do shit to Tim on the ground because he couldn't even reach his head to hit it from guard. DC is about the same height and might have the same problems.

After Silva left Brazil and started fighting guys with Wiki pages he quickly amassed a .500 record. His wins during that period include MW/LHW Alessio Sakara, LHW Igor Pokrajac, and whoever Dave Anderton and Terroll Dees are. He also lost every one of his 3 UFC fights.
He wasn't a joke but he was no world-beater.
Actually, no.

He beat/schooled Valentijn, another tough mofo at that time, and by heel hook no less (Valentijn was quite good at it)

Remember> Valentijn could be considered a ranked win in 2001:

Stephen Quadros Top 10
Last Updated Friday 6-1-01
HEAVYWEIGHT 205 lb and up (93 kg and up)

1. Mark Coleman
2. Igor Vovchanchyn
3. Rodrigo Nogueira
4. Randy Couture
5. Kazuyuki Fujita
6. Heath Herring
7. Pedro Rizzo
8. Semmy Schilt
9. Valetijn Overeem
10. Tra Telligman

His loss to Aleks Emelianenko was a close one, split dec.

And at the tail end of his career, he lost to Kongo (majority dec) and dec loss to Sylvia, while being severely undersized
(in that transitional era, he could no longer be realistically considered a legit natural HW)

imo his skillset was worth noting: interesting mix of sheer violence on the feet coupled with a legit submission game, mostly leglocks.

Good fighter.

Last edited:
Sylvia would do fine. He wouldn’t be champ, but he would more than likely be top 5. Too bad the noobs don’t know Silvia destroyed Ricco when Ricco was The Man.

Holy shit the dude that Mercer knocked out was the Heavyweight champ??

Lmao holy shit
You realize Sylvia had back problems and was a shell of his former self?

Back