How would a prime GSP do in an Olympic wrestling match?

<36>

cael-sanderson-gold-2101feb9fbd9c315.jpg

karelin.gif

Not very well.
Who is that?

GSP would do shit in freestyle wrestling. He'd be lucky to not get stopped within 1-2 minutes

Who is that?

Cael Sanderson and Alex Karelin.

Sanderson is an all-time great American wrestler and Olympic gold medallist.

Karelin is a three-time Olympic gold medallist and one-time silver medallist. His record is a stupendous 887 wins and 2 losses. Karelin is probably the best Greco-Roman wrestler ever. He was famous for his violent gut-wrench suplexes executed against elite-level, unwilling and resisting wrestlers. He could literally just pick people up and slam them around. Many people have asked whether Karelin would have won UFC 1. The reality is that Karelin was probably the baddest man on the face of the earth from the late 80's to late 90's. Forget Tyson, Rickson, etc. Karelin could likely just pick them up and powerbomb their brains out. If peak Karelin came into MMA today he would weigh 285lbs and be the scariest HW who ever lived. Good luck beating that guy in a fight.

Contemporary UFC HWs should be grateful that they do not live in the age of Alex Karelin.

Are you kidding me?

He would die with quickness, and would not be even remotely competitive.

Completely different sports so obviously not competitive, but if GSP fully dedicated himself to wrestling from an early age I think he would be able to compete at an Olympic level. Definitely has the talent for it.

he's strong as shit and he gets most of his takedowns off his jab.

his wrestling is good, but he wouldn't make the alternate team. his mma wrestling is great.

and of course by "is" i mean "was". i have every reason to believe he was better 6 years ago than he is today.

maybe if he had trained wrestling his whole life he might have done very well. As an MMA fighter probably not very good.

back in the day he was considering an Olympic run.

He will be competitive with the lower ranked guys but he will still lose in my opinion.

Wrestling in MMA has differences and is blended in a bunch of other arts.

Same like old and fat DC would still win vs Jones in just wrestling.

Probably poorly. He might have made the Olympic team but he wouldn't have done well once he got there. That's assuming he'd actually taken a couple years off before the 2012 games.

Lose badly. Completely different tactics and requirements. Dudes who go Olympic gold have been wrestling since 5 and have freak genetics. GSP has freak genetics but not the training.

I don't know but he was offered a spot on the National Team. Obviously, he never accepted.
With all due respect it's the Canadian wrestling team. It's like lil Nog on the Brazilian boxing team...

To make it more like Conor vs Floyd GSP would have to face this guy here...

Sadulaev 2 times world champion and Olympic champion, he is undefeated since 2013. Just recently moved up to the 97kg category and competed at the Russian Championship, despite the size difference he won.

lol he looks so tiny next to Baytsaev

Karelin is UNQUESTIONABLY the best Greco-Roman wrestler ever.

Fixed.

There's really no one else even close. Karelin's mystique was greater than prime Fedor's. Elite wrestlers would purposely let him pin them in the semi-finals of world championships so they could avoid injury from being slammed and at least have a chance at winning bronze.

Karelin went 10 years without giving up a single point in international competition. WTF. I hate the term but if there is such a thing as an A-Level athlete, Karelin was AAA.

Last edited:
Back