How would a prime GSP do in an Olympic wrestling match?

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by StormGymLuton, Jun 19, 2017.

1. StormGymLuton Blue Belt

StormGymLuton
    All this talk of Mayweather McGregor made me think. Conor is one of the best boxers/strikers in MMA, but I can't see how he has a chance against Mayweather in a boxing match. GSP is one of the best MMA wrestlers, so how would he do in pure wrestling? Obviously, as per McGrgeor in boxing, MMA wrestling is different to pure wreslting. Could GSP compete at the top level?

I really don't know anything about amateur wrestling so I have no idea? If he could do well, then why doesn't the same transition work in boxing?

2. moreorless87 Gold Belt

moreorless87
    Not very well IMHO, a lot of his MMA success was down to linking his wrestling into his striking catching opponents off balance.

OmegaRugal, Gilday, TehFlame and 4 others like this.
  3. Degen Gambler Silver Belt

Degen Gambler
    Conor isn't trying to out box Mayweather. He is trying to land one big shot that ends the fight. I don't believe there is an option for that in wrestling.

4. Stained Class Metal Gods

Stained Class
    I don't know but he was offered a spot on the National Team. Obviously, he never accepted.

Vegeta likes this.
  5. HuskySamoan Brown Belt

HuskySamoan
    He'd have done terribly. A lot of pro boxing world champs wouldn't/didn't even qualify for their countries Olympic team either. They are different sports, MMA wrestling isn't freestyle wrestling

6. Mob69 Brown Belt

Mob69
    <36>

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Not very well.

MMACroatia likes this.
  7. Typrune Goatley Orange Belt

Typrune Goatley
    He would get pinned

MMACroatia likes this.
  8. kimocomplex Black Belt

kimocomplex
    He was considering it, then the UFC came with a big new contract with perks like events in big time Canadian locations, his buddies getting signed etc...

9. waiguoren Brown Belt

waiguoren
    Disagree. I think he would get tech falled in the first two minutes by any world class freestyler. He would have the awareness to avoid his shoulders getting pinned but he would not be able to stop world class freestylers from taking him down and leg lacing or gut wrenching him immediately. Four consecutive leg laces and the match is over.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2017
    Sapp and Typrune Goatley like this.
  10. ArtemV Red Belt

ArtemV
    Not good. Canada are okay at wrestling (hence their lack of success with medals).

But lol, GSP vs Geduev/Yazdani/Burroughs. Even if GSP were to cut down to 65kg, he would have to deal with Ramonov, Asgarov and Chamizo. If he were to bulk up, he would have to face guys like Sadulaev lol.

StopDucking likes this.
  11. zieg Berserk

zieg
    Probably not to well. Now if he focused on wrestling when he first started maybe he could have done well.

And he would have to cut more than 170 to reach his ideal weight class. Or bulk up and face some really strong technical dudes.

12. Sapp Green Belt

Sapp
    He would be non-competitive.

13. justbetter Green Belt

justbetter
    Olympic wrestlers get paid shit. Therefore, Sherdog logic dictates that the best possible athletes are not attracted to the sport and because there is a higher financial ceiling in the UFC, olympic wrestlers will mostly be inferior athletes. GSP beats every single one with 1 month training camp.

14. gspieler Black Belt

gspieler
    He'd get his ass handed to him, by guys that have training solely wrestling their hole lives, and went through an extensive filtering process in their country to get their.

15. HHJ Plutonium Belt

HHJ
    If he focused only on that from the beggining,who knows? Its not really a fair question to ask about anyone who is devoted to multiple arts.

16. fruta JCPENNEY $3.98 BELT

fruta
    Agree with this.

I remember this but can't see how it was anything more than a publicity push for Canadian wrestling. The Olympic styles don't reward sustained top control like in MMA wrestling and folkstyle (U.S. high school and college wrestling).

I think GSP could have done well in Folkstyle, which rewards riding time and ground control (with hooks in) and translates directly as "lay and pray" in MMA. As waiguoren states, groundwork in the international styles reward quick back exposure moves like leg laces and gutwrenches, but would be laughably useless in Folkstyle or MMA for that matter.

For reference, most dominant top control MMA fighters come from a folkstyle (or Judo/Sambo) background. I'm hard pressed to think of any that came from a pure freestyle or greco base.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2017 at 8:41 AM
  17. MMACroatia Green Belt

MMACroatia
    The first trio would maul him,don't even wanna imagine how would he fare with the Tank at 86.

18. tru3f4n Brown Belt

tru3f4n
    about as well as Kid Yamamoto

19. potemkin723 Orange Belt

potemkin723
    Sorry to say this but MMA wrestling is different than freestyle wrestling competition.

I think he has chance, but I doubt that.

20. applesbananas Green Belt

applesbananas
    Terrible. These threads are stupid. GSP probably doesn't even know how to wrestle. Everyone in MMA thinks Wrestling = Takedowns but there is much more to it than that.

Also, if he was wrestling Folk Style, he probably would just DQ himself.