How work out chest without shoulder involvement (injury)?

JohnMandick

Interim Saku belt
@red
Reaction score
Basically can't use my right shoulder at all in any kind of pushing motion.

I can do chin ups and lat pulls and stuff like that, but no pushing.

Any ideas?

Can you hold a press lockout position without discomfort? If so, planche (not plank) work could be a great option. Depends on the nature of the injury though.

I've got the same kind of injury at the moment, it's quite annoying.

So it's a rotator cuff issue?

The function of the chest is to produce movement in the shoulder joint. In other words, there is no chest exercise without shoulder involvement.

Having said that, chin-ups also involve the shoulder. So if you can perform those, then that means not every shoulder movement is problematic for you.

Look through this exercise list, and see if there is anything you can perform without pain: http://www.exrx.net/Lists/ExList/ChestWt.html

Can you hold a press lockout position without discomfort? If so, planche (not plank) work could be a great option. Depends on the nature of the injury though.

this. often when you can't work dynamically you still can do isometrics of some kind.

can you do flys? or the hug machine?

I didn't think of isometrics! Thanks!

Never heard of a planche before. Will try that after work today and report back in case it helps anyone else (or just interested).

I think you would be better off healing up and getting better before possibly injuring yourself further. Better to take three weeks off than three months. Just my opinion though.

I didn't think of isometrics! Thanks!

Never heard of a planche before. Will try that after work today and report back in case it helps anyone else (or just interested).

Make sure to try the easiest variations first, e.g. the frog stand or tuck planche. Don't hop into trying the full planche.

Make sure to try the easiest variations first, e.g. the frog stand or tuck planche. Don't hop into trying the full planche.

Your profile pic. I think I know that chick. Can I get a high def wallpaper of her to confirm. Links to nudes too. To confirm her moles match up.

<{yearp}>

Ha ha, no shit. Have you tried doing a full planche? So hard.

I look into it, thought that doesn't look so hard... then quickly discovered I was very very wrong.

Can you be more specific as to what motion causes pain or where the pain is? And have you received a specific diagnosis? I had shoulder pain for YEARS. Tear in the labrum and supraspinatus. Anything involving the front delt/biceps tendon was off limits. However, I realized that other positions that are typically thought of as worse positions were much less painful. I did isometric holds on the pec dek fly machine. Especially if I scooted forward on the seat and made it more of a decline angle. Decline machine bench press with my upper arms way out to the side (typically thought to be worse for shoulders) was pretty good too. You can definitely work your chest if you play around with a bunch of exercises and angles.

Cant work the chest without the shoulders. Heal and then do movements.

Back