How will you remember Zab Judah?

Zab is often judged on his talent rather than what he actually accomplished. His resume is thin, in my opinion, and I like Zab. He just does not have very many impressive wins.

He’s an odd guy to pin down. You look at some of his losses and wonder how he ever managed to pull off his big wins. Granted with the exception of Spinks, his big wins were razor close and disputable. And after Spinks, he loses to Baldomir.

I’d concede he was more than a gate keeper. Maybe “belt warmer” is a better term.

Zab had great talent but underachieved. I think he was mentally weak in the moment but also mentally tough never wanting to give up on his career.

in the defining moments of his career he could not overcome the elite of his divisions.

Ill remember him as a talented gatekeeper

I don't think it's fair to define Zab as a gatekeeper. He quite literally hit the peak of the sport: he was the lineal, unified champion in arguably the sports most prestigious division. He was just kind of a headcase that couldn't keep it together.

Gatekeeper my ass he was lineal at one point.
He'll get to the HOF

Having a fight cancelled by managing to fall through a shower door and cut his arm.

Zab was a very talented guy and a hell of a talent, I just think he lacked maturity and focus, in and out of the ring.

Loads of talent, but lacked the discipline to stay on top. He was a front runner that should have achieved more than he did.

Gatekeeper my ass he was lineal at one point.
He'll get to the HOF

Seriously. Lineal Champ is no Gatekeeper. Yes, he might have won a couple more had he been more disciplined but most fighter would give their left nut to accomplish what he did.

Yes he was lineal. So was Baldomir. Yet no one would argue that Baldomir was elite. And he (Judah) immediately lost it. If I take his entire career into perspective, he had moments where he looked elite and then moments - and when I say moments I mean the entire second half of his career - where he looked a lot less than top notch and lost to every reasonable threat he faced.

“Motivated BJ Penn” comes to mind in this thread.

He may sneak inside the HoF but I wouldn't bet on this. Witter, Pineda, Spinks and Matthysse were good wins. The losses to Garcia and Floyd were decent efforts.

At some point you wanted to scream "When will you learn ?" to his believers whenever he bounced back and got another big fight.

Great athlete, though. Amazing handspeed, and one hell of a left uppercut.

he just looked so good as a fighter. but the results never matched what he looked like he could do / should do.

As a very talented fighter with some psychological drawbacks. He was a legitimate welterweight champion for a minute but spent most of his career as a solid contender. He hasn't accomplished enough to be considered a Hall of Famer but he'll be remembered as someone who gave the elite good fights and served as a measure for top fighters.

I would call him a worker, the type of guy that boxing needs. He was never the best, but he acted as a very good gatekeeper. Immense talent and skills, but a front runner who didn't adjust well when things weren't going his way. Not a HoFer, but not miles off, either. Extremely talented guy whose significant flaws (in and out of the ring) prevented him from being great.

A dude with tons of ability, but also had flaws that elite fighters were usually able to exploit. That combination made most of his fights pretty fun to watch. I always tuned in.

Back