How Will Public And Government Concern Over CTE Affect The UFC?

Has nothing to do with the question that was asked.

Are you sure?

I believe that eventually both boxing and MMA (at least in its current form) will be outlawed as awareness and concern over CTE increases. I don't expect it to happen soon, but eventually I think boxing and any other sport that allows punches and kicks to the head will be outlawed.

I think it would be smart for The UFC to prepare for that possibility by starting a catch wrestling promotion. They could find out how much public demand there would be for professional catch wrestling. People are always going to be interested in watching combat sports and if sports that allow strikes to the head eventually become outlawed, then catch wrestling would be more likely to fill that demand than anything else.

Are you sure?
Casual fans don't shape public policy in sports. Public opinion, in general, shapes public policy around sports.

Most people don't track the stats, player names, drafts or wins in football. But by now, most people know something about CTE in football.

That awareness will impact the survival of youth football, regardless of whether those with the opinion watch it or not.

I don't think it will. Rules basically outlawed the 15 round fights in boxing after Mancini killed that poor kid from Korea.

Boxing has literally had people die in the ring from single punches and people still watch it enough the top tier guys make millions for one 12 round fight every 6 months. This won't impact combat sports.

Back