How watered down is Muay Thai in North America?

AminoAcid

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
Compared to Brazil, South Asia and Thailand?

Last edited:
lion fight is the premier muay thai promotion in the world probably

lion fight is the premier muay thai promotion in the world probably

In terms of training, you will often hear people say to go to Thailand to learn from the best.

Are the instructors and training methods in North America watered down to a lesser degree than Thailand?

In terms of training, you will often hear people say to go to Thailand to learn from the best.

Are the instructors and training methods in North America watered down to a lesser degree than Thailand?

yes yes, in america the water is better, thailand is more peepee.

on a serious note: of course thailand has better muay thai. it's like saying: 'is basketball in america better than in europe' ?. muay thai is a thai sport, america is in terms of muay thai nothing compared to thailand

but if you are a heavyweight thailand is not the place to be. the ufc section of the sherdog forums would deem thailand manlet country. their weight classes dont go above 145/150 or something. and those weight classes arent deep as well. 105-135 pound is where its at in thailand. most sherdoggers probably tower over the biggest muay thai fighters as if they are lil kids. they dont cut as much weight either, so mighty mouse would probably be one of the 'normal sized' or bigger guys there. they are tiny.

"watered down" is just a negative way of saying it's been modernized for a new age. Thais are too stuck in the past with traditionalist nonsense to upgrade their art. That's why if you want to learn really effective kickboxing you go to Holland, not Thailand.

"watered down" is just a negative way of saying it's been modernized for a new age. Thais are too stuck in the past with traditionalist nonsense to upgrade their art. That's why if you want to learn really effective kickboxing you go to Holland, not Thailand.

that's why the dutch get their ass pounded whenever a thai transitions from muay thai into kickboxing.

what's so modern about kickboxing in the netherlands, that isn't done in thailand anyway?

Last edited:
This is a crock of shit.
A huge number of Thai gyms have incorporated boxing a lot more. But the Thai Style in its raw form has little to "upgrade" under Thai rules.
Other than some punching. Even so, the Thai punchers were more efficient when bare knuckle. The gloves changed it.

Good legit Muay Thai instruction is very limited and hard to find in the US. Most of it is just Kickboxing or MMA Muay Thai.

That's why if you want to learn really effective kickboxing you go to Holland, not Thailand.
What's your definition of "really effective kickboxing"? Because from my understanding the top 5 P4P kickboxers in the world all come from a MuayThai background and none train out of Holland. Over and over again we've been shown that MuayThai is more effective than Dutch kickboxing and yet it confuses me how many people today still question which style is more effective?

There's nothing you'll learn at a kickboxing gym in Holland that you cant learn out in Thailand. Plenty of gyms in Thailand today are very modernized. Gyms like Banchamek and Sitsongpeenong display a good balance of traditional Thai and modernized training. If I had to give a kickboxer advice on which gym to train at hands down a good gym in Thailand over a gym in Holland any day.

What is with this stupid fucking obsession with modernised muay thai? Some people will look for any excuse to insert a racist narrative.

Last edited:
What's your definition of "really effective kickboxing"? Because from my understanding the top 5 P4P kickboxers in the world all come from a MuayThai background and none train out of Holland.

What's that Top5 P4P Kickboxers list you have in mind?

There's nothing you'll learn at a kickboxing gym in Holland that you cant learn out in Thailand.

I'd also take that with a pinch of salt, Kickboxing Gyms in Holland aren't just a copy of Muay Thai gyms. For instance I don't see gyms in Thailand incorporating Kyokushin techniques like you have in some Dutch gyms. The sparring style and focus on boxing combos is quite different too between the 2 countries. I'm not saying one is better, it's just different.

Last edited:
In no order: Sittichai, Petro, Yod, Kaew, Superbon
How is Yod on your list but Rico isnt? What has Yod done as of late to be considered top p4p?

Superbon still hasn't done enough IMO either.

How is Yod on your list but Rico isnt? What has Yod done as of late to be considered top p4p?

Superbon still hasn't done enough IMO either.
Lets cut the BS. P4P Yod is better than Rico even if he hasn't done much recently. You and I both know this.

So it's basically your biased Top5 P4P list you're referring to...
Seems like a logical top 5 to me. By all means list a better top 5 list. I genuinely cant think of any other kickboxer who is better than any of those names. And no I'm not listing this by what a fighter has done recently but based off who I think is better.

Lets cut the BS. P4P Yod is better than Rico even if he hasn't done much recently. You and I both know this.
No. I absolutely don't know that. Quit injecting your opinion on everyone else as if it's fact. Rico is a better and way more accomplished Kickboxer than Yod IMO and its tough to argue otherwise. Your as bad as broadcast is when it comes to bias.

Seems like a logical top 5 to me. By all means list a better top 5 list. I genuinely cant think of any other kickboxer who is better than any of those names. And no I'm not listing this by what a fighter has done recently but based off who I think is better.

That's exactly why your list is completely biased by who you prefer watching rather than by who's actually achieving more.

If we're talking all time top5 P4P I'd probably go with Hoost, Schilt, Petrosyan, Aerts and probably Buakaw.

Top5 P4P now, I'd probably say Rico Verhoeven, Sittichai, Nieky Holzken, Robin van Roosmalen, and maybe Kaew or someone else.

That's my subjective list based on accomplishment, but I might have forgotten someone.

But again I'm not the one saying "the top 5 P4P kickboxers in the world all come from a MuayThai background and none train out of Holland". That by itself isn't true and based on your own subjective list of top5 P4P.

Back