How was the Simon Finish Any Different from WWE?

It's obvious to a guy that has been practicing and watching Jiu-Jitsu for years, so yes, I am confident that I saw Merab going out and coming back numerous times.
I've seen this happen at least 10 times before.

The ref was a new guy and didn't recognize it, but any decent referee with experience in Jiu-Jitsu (Goddard, for example) saw it.
It was very dangerous to not stop the fight. He was in huge danger. Merab could've gotten brain-damage from going out and coming back for 45 seconds.
right, so he shouldve stopped it long ago. but thats not the argument here. he let it go till the bell. THEN called it off?

i think this whole thing is dangerous, ive said it many times, look at condit vs oliveira. i think condit was out, but it wasnt called... im not sure what the answer is..

but to call a fight after it was over does not seem correct.

right, so he shouldve stopped it long ago. but thats not the argument here. he let it go till the bell. THEN called it off?

i think this whole thing is dangerous, ive said it many times, look at condit vs oliveira. i think condit was out, but it wasnt called... im not sure what the answer is..

but to call a fight after it was over does not seem correct.

The referee definitely fucked up, that's not what I'm disputing. I 100% agree with you on that.
But Goddard made it right, it would've been a tragedy if Merab won that fight despite being out when the choke was released at the bell.

Also, if a fighter is out at the bell I believe it's automatically a win for the other guy. i don't think they overturned the decision.

The referee definitely fucked up, that's not what I'm disputing. I 100% agree with you on that.
But Goddard made it right, it would've been a tragedy if Merab won that fight despite being out when the choke was released at the bell.

Also, if a fighter is out at the bell I believe it's automatically a win for the other guy. i don't think they overturned the decision.
right, but there is controversy when we see another ref step in and make a ruling. i dont think weve ever seen that before either.

i dont want to take a firm stance either way, im leaning on the side that tonight was incorrect.

like why did another ref come in and interject his opinion? the fights over

im curious, do u think o'malley should have lost when his ankle was broken? he couldnt even stand up on his own when the decision was made.

im curious, do u think o'malley should have lost when his ankle was broken? he couldnt even stand up on his own when the decision was made.

That depends. Soukhamthath was dumb enough to go to the ground with him, but if Soukhamthath would have decided to stand O'Malley up and O'Malley couldn't stand up, then it would've been declared off, and a win for Soukhamthath by default.

That depends. Soukhamthath was dumb enough to go to the ground with him, but if Soukhamthath would have decided to stand O'Malley up and O'Malley couldn't stand up, then it would've been declared off, and a win for Soukhamthath by default.
well no, it doesnt depend. do u think o'malley should have lost?

I don’t know if they mentioned it during the broadcast, but before the Fightpass prelim they said New Jersey has instant replay, but only to answer questions about the proper outcome of the fight. Is that what happened here?

If he was out at the bell, that means he was out before the bell. therefore it is a technical submission.

well no, it doesnt depend. do u think o'malley should have lost?

Of course it depends, because the rules state this.
If you can't stand up due to an injury sustained in the fight you lose the fight, but since O'Malley didn't have to stand up letting the fight go was okay according to the rules.

Of course it depends, because the rules state this.
If you can't stand up due to an injury sustained in the fight you lose the fight, but since O'Malley didn't have to stand up letting the fight go was okay according to the rules.

right so after the bell sounded we found out he couldnt get up
after the bell sounded we found merab was asleep

see where im going?

Someone should have come in and hit him with a steel chair after to make sure he was out & then called it .

He made the right call, who cares?

Why should Merab get the decision if he was out at the end of the fight? That would be fucking stupid.
He wasn’t out at all. Simon released it sat up and said to the ref he was out and Merab immediately looked at the ref and said no I’m not

It's obvious to a guy that has been practicing and watching Jiu-Jitsu for years, so yes, I am confident that I saw Merab going out and coming back numerous times.
I've seen this happen at least 10 times before.

The ref was a new guy and didn't recognize it, but any decent referee with experience in Jiu-Jitsu (Goddard, for example) saw it.
It was very dangerous to not stop the fight. He was in huge danger. Merab could've gotten brain-damage from going out and coming back for 45 seconds.

You dont know how many matches that ref has officiated.... you don’t know if he is new to anything.

You don’t know if that ref has Jits experience, has a black belt or under whom he earned it.

You are making shit up because you have hung out in a gym.

You literally know nothing more here than anybody else who watched that mess on tv.

You dont know how many matches that ref has officiated.... you don’t know if he is new to anything.

You don’t know if that ref has Jits experience, has a black belt or under whom he earned it.

You are making shit up because you have hung out in a gym.

You literally know nothing more here than anybody else who watched that mess on tv.

right so after the bell sounded we found out he couldnt get up
after the bell sounded we found merab was asleep

see where im going?

Right. All im saying is we start setting weird precedents when other refs can just come in from outside the octagon talk to the commision and change decisions. They assign refs inside the octagon for a reason. Right or wrong, he said the guy made it the 15 without going out. Fights over.

This was similar to the WWE in that the ref was incompetent, except in the WWE the refs are just following directions and aren't actually incompetent. Merab KO'd himself on his takedown attempt and then slipped in and out of consciousness for the rest of the fight and the ref didn't notice.

This was similar to the WWE in that the ref was incompetent, except in the WWE the refs are just following directions and aren't actually incompetent. Merab KO'd himself on his takedown attempt and then slipped in and out of consciousness for the rest of the fight and the ref didn't notice.

So why not just score refs, have a group of the best ones gathered around a monitor with the commission and they can make all the calls. When its time for a fight to stop just hit a button to sound a big ass horn or something. Instant replay shouldnt be used for judgement calls. It isnt in any other sport.

Everytime i watch this clip...I'm dumbfounded on so many levels.

Your question was stupid, though.
No, a fighter that passes out on the next day should not lose the goddamn fight from yesterday.

But a fighter that went out exactly when the bell hits (in this case Merab was out even before the bell hit) and was CLEARLY unable to continue a fight shouldn't win a decision.

Let's say you hypothetically punch a guy right at the millisecond when the bell hits - he drops to the floor and goes out after the bell already rang, from that punch right at the bell, you're saying he should still win the decision if he won the previous rounds?

So what does him being CLEARLY unable to finish the fight have to do with anything when the fight was literally over?

So why not just score refs, have a group of the best ones gathered around a monitor with the commission and they can make all the calls. When its time for a fight to stop just hit a button to sound a big ass horn or something. Instant replay shouldnt be used for judgement calls. It isnt in any other sport.
On the other hand, it's hard to argue that you won a fight if you end up unconscious

Back