How was it that Newton beat King Mo twice?

Bocgam

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
Flukes? Bad matchup? We can't say that King Mo is an extremely different fighter now, right?

I ask because I saw that Newton recently lost to Erokhin.

First fight was a fluke, the second a robbery.

Mo is a much better fighter.

Because Mo's striking is primitive and quite bad and Newton's is tricky enough to make a fool out of Mo

His bad striking is usually covered up by his athleticism and the low level of his opponents who he can showboat against but when he meets a good striker he does get exposed ( Jiri, Newton, Calvacante, Mousasi who banged Mo up pretty good as examples)

His KO win over Jiri was because Jiri had a hellish fight with Nemkov where Nemkov was beating Jiri but had to quit due to exhuastion so Jiri was exhausted and damaged for his final fight against Mo whereas Mo had a super easy quarter and semi final match

Despite all that Jiri was still torching Mo on the feet until Mo landed a good counter and with Mo's power it was lights out for Jiri but if Jiri was as fresh as Mo that would have been a slaughter and Jiri would have rightfully KO'd Mo

One. Spinning backfist KO.

Newton-after-hitting-Lawal.png

The other was by decision where MO just sat back trying to counter.

First fight was a fluke, the second a robbery.

Mo is a much better fighter.

Second wasn't a robbery IMO
Mo just implemented a stupid gameplan, he tried to strike with Newton and he should have used his wrestling

Mo just isnt very good.

Newton has always had decent tdd training with McKee and mo has next to nothing in the way of footwork and output on the feet so Newton was just generally a bad matchup for him

Mo has always been overrated but he did win the second fight imo

Because Roger Mayweather didn't think about prepping him to defend spinning back fists.

Newton was on a roll and one could argue he wqs a top ten talent around that time always had such awkward standup as well , hes just on a down slide at the moment

Some people just have another's number

The hallman answer seems right. Im sure if they fought 5 times mo would win one or two but it's not the best matchup. Mo is a much better fighter tho. Newton wouldn't have anything for a Kongo.

Newton was on a roll and one could argue he wqs a top ten talent around that time always had such awkward standup as well , hes just on a down slide at the moment

Newton has not looked good outside of the Mo fight. He was getting owned by Beltran before he landed the KO shot.

Newton has not looked good outside of the Mo fight. He was getting owned by Beltran before he landed the KO shot.
Everybody has a bad fight every once in awhile and the close fights to vassell and mcgeary are nothing to be ashamed about if you ask me both are really good fighters also stepped up to fight a heavyweight too which i dont think was the smartest idea he could have had

Newton was at his peak, and initially Mo was overconfident, in the rematch, he was tenative and scared where Newton wasn't. Newton could hurt Mo and Mo struggled to take him down.

Back