How training specifically to beat bigger guys can hurt you

A strong catch wrestler 40 lbs heavier popped my elbow (kesa gatame v-bar) and then a month later a wrestler 60 lbs heavier popped my other elbow. (straight arm-lock from guard)

I also have had my ankle popped from a guy 100 lbs heavier than me. (toe hold) (My fault I didn't tap, thought he couldn't finish it without isolating my leg with his legs, I was literally sitting on his chest and he used his massive biceps to crank my ankle)

As an mma guy I'm done training with guys over 20 lbs heavier. All my major injuries have been from big guys using all their strength against me
Sounds more of a gym issue with the members treating rolling/sparring like they're sanctioned bouts.

The easiest way to avoid injury against big boys is to take them down from neutral, rather than letting them sit on you and trying to work from bottom.

Last edited:
Legitimately what is the biggest/ heaviest guy anyones ever rolled with? Today I rolled with a cat, 7' and he said he was 385, but I know a 385er and this dude had to be 450+, not a white or blue belt, Ill leave it at that. I know he is closer to 450 because I chest pressed 405 the other day, and 315 for reps and I couldn't press him off of me.

Now Im not a small cat at all. Well short as Im only 5'9-10ish, but I weight quite a bit 250-255, not all fatness jerks. I run 3-4 days a week, do weights 3-4 days a week, and BJJ 2-3x a week. I ran my last FULL marathon Oct 9th 2016 and will run another in 2017. I eat a lot I wont lie about it, and drink a lot of beer on weekends.

So anyway this guy comes in lets say anywhere between 385-450 and I could not get anything going on this guy. His top game consisted of him attacking my arms while he splayed me out with his entire upper body. His upper body, no arms, no head, no legs, was literally as big as most of me. I couldnt not do anything anything anything to get this guy off of me. I tried bridging, I tried rolling, stuffing, shucking, shrimping. Tried bringing in one leg, lockdown, using his weight against him. I literally couldnt do shit. In a last ditch effort I attempted electric chair on him, ended up trapped so bad.

So seriously WTF do you do with a guy like that.

No offence, but I don't think this is a shocking revelation. BJJ was basically developed by Helio Gracie because of his small size and his desire to apply technique against larger opponents.
This is such bullshit. How is this still being peddled in 2017?

Haha, my bad. It wasn't being peddled in 2017, it was 2012 and biscuits made a crazy necrobump.

Legitimately what is the biggest/ heaviest guy anyones ever rolled with? Today I rolled with a cat, 7' and he said he was 385, but I know a 385er and this dude had to be 450+, not a white or blue belt, Ill leave it at that. I know he is closer to 450 because I chest pressed 405 the other day, and 315 for reps and I couldn't press him off of me.

Now Im not a small cat at all. Well short as Im only 5'9-10ish, but I weight quite a bit 250-255, not all fatness jerks. I run 3-4 days a week, do weights 3-4 days a week, and BJJ 2-3x a week. I ran my last FULL marathon Oct 9th 2016 and will run another in 2017. I eat a lot I wont lie about it, and drink a lot of beer on weekends.

So anyway this guy comes in lets say anywhere between 385-450 and I could not get anything going on this guy. His top game consisted of him attacking my arms while he splayed me out with his entire upper body. His upper body, no arms, no head, no legs, was literally as big as most of me. I couldnt not do anything anything anything to get this guy off of me. I tried bridging, I tried rolling, stuffing, shucking, shrimping. Tried bringing in one leg, lockdown, using his weight against him. I literally couldnt do shit. In a last ditch effort I attempted electric chair on him, ended up trapped so bad.

When in doubt ground and pound

Stop lying, no one benches more than teh 275

Mr. Miyagi says best block, no be there.

A strong catch wrestler 40 lbs heavier popped my elbow (kesa gatame v-bar) and then a month later a wrestler 60 lbs heavier popped my other elbow. (straight arm-lock from guard)

I also have had my ankle popped from a guy 100 lbs heavier than me. (toe hold) (My fault I didn't tap, thought he couldn't finish it without isolating my leg with his legs, I was literally sitting on his chest and he used his massive biceps to crank my ankle)

As an mma guy I'm done training with guys over 20 lbs heavier. All my major injuries have been from big guys using all their strength against me
As an heavy-ish guy myself (195 lbs) it sounds like a partner/gym problem. You might need to address that first. If you have this issue only with those two guys you can either refuse to roll with them or you should speak to them very frankly, tell them that you are not trying to tough-guy your way out of submissions when you get caught and that they need to give you more time to tap.

Also you should throw pride out of the window and tap early when you get caught, even though it might not always be enough. I remember when I was a very white belt I also got one of my elbows popped (americana from side control). The guy just did it lightning fast (for my white belt mind) that I didn't even recognize what was happening until I felt the pain and a pop. Some people just can't adapt to their rolling partner's experience level and all in all you are the first one you must rely upon to look after your safety.

For the purposes of non absolute sport BJJ it seems like it would be best to train close to your weight class. If you are a lightweight and only train with heavyweights you will most likely be unprepared to face other lightweights as the heavyweights will not be replicating the movements and techniques that the lightweights will be doing.

Sounds more of a gym issue with the members treating rolling/sparring like they're sanctioned bouts.

Yeah i was gonna say sounds like he trains with power cranking assholes.

On this topic I like to follow Marcelo Garcia's lead. He specifically says that he only uses techniques that work on everybody regardless of size, which is why he doesn't favor head and arm chokes and kimuras (although I'm sure he can probably still kimura anyone he pleases).

When you watch him roll, it seems like his game would translate pretty well to MMA and be effective against bigger opponents in that setting too. So I don't think it's always the case that training BJJ against bigger opponents hurts your MMA game, it's all about what kind of game you have.

Marcelo had an mma fight he lost to cut in the second round, but in the first he had a good amount of control time on the ground including mount and couldn't finish.

Marcelo had an mma fight he lost to cut in the second round, but in the first he had a good amount of control time on the ground including mount and couldn't finish.

It was a bs stoppage. I think he just had not adjusted to the gloves yet, making it a bit more difficult to get chokes in

I think since you are used to being the big guy you probably are not as good off your back. Creating and maintaining space and using speed are the most important things when dealing with a bigger opponent. I've noticed that when big guys end up on their backs they are not nearly as effective at using their feet and creating frames.

I don't train only for bigger guy, but I always keep notice when I see a video or anything about ''How to roll against a bigger guy''.

If some techniques or choices can help you in those occasion you can keep it in mind.

I'm rarely the smaller guy being about 190 LBS with not a lot of fat and I don't think I overuse my weight or my strenght advantage.

I rarely roll with monsters (like fit 250 LBS guys) but since a couple of months I do MMA sparring with a really legit wrestler (he used to train with the canadian olympic team) and he's an absolute grinder. When he goes for a takedown it's more about how can I avoid being injured instead of how can I stop him. When we get on the ground he's just a berserker. Even if I'm leagues ahead of him technically on the ground, he's always making me feel like a little bitch.

So until I'm able to perform better against him, I will surely be watchind some videos on how to defend against a bigger guy. It already helped me a lot just by limiting him on some of the side control position that he's always getting after the takedowns.

Do what's best for you. Personally someone 20lbs heavier is a challenge but not a deal breaker but it's relative. At 190 lbs someone 220 isn't a huge problem but st 170 someone who is 190 might be. Maybe. It really depends. Also different weight classes fight different.

Guys 130 LN's fight very similar to a guy who weighs 150 lbs but a guy who weighs 220 usually fights very differently to a guy who fights 190. If a heavier opponent doesn't fight similar to potential future challenges I wouldn't even waste my time.

It comes down to goals and if your partner helps you get there.

Back