How to work counter fighting solo

Silver tongue samurai

Ronin
@Blue
Reaction score
What are some ways I can practice my counters when im alone. Some things I already do is shadow boxing with good defence and counters off the defence, slip bag, double end bag with counters off head movment. any other ways I can train this without a partner?

Batting cage. The machine shoots balls at you, and use it for head mooooment I guess?

Just call up some friends man, we're all social retards, but not this socially retarded.

"Hey bud, try to break my face, and I'll give you a beer"

problem solved!

Batting cage. The machine shoots balls at you, and use it for head mooooment I guess?

Just call up some friends man, we're all social retards, but not this socially retarded.

"Hey bud, try to break my face, and I'll give you a beer"

problem solved!

Spent most of my highschool years reading up on martial arts and moving houses and gyms so im limited in regards to buddies who want to drill or god forbid do some flow sparring...maybe I should forget countering and just bang.

Dont you go telling me how socially retarded I am, mom says we're all different.
<DCrying>

Spent most of my highschool years reading up on martial arts and moving houses and gyms so im limited in regards to buddies who want to drill or god forbid do some flow sparring...maybe I should forget countering and just bang.

Dont you go telling me how socially retarded I am, mom says we're all different.
<DCrying>
buddies + flow sparring = 10 seconds later : banging gym war championship bouts

Just drill longer ;) after class. If your gym is big enough to have people do their thing on the other side away from an going class, grab someone and do some drills. He/she will be on offense, you will be on defense, you are only allowed to block, parry, evade, and *counter. Don;t let more than 3 strikes hit you consecutively

* = interrupt their combo with one of your own, could be 6,3,2. Or kick, 3,2,3

It will feel very much like sparring

buddies + flow sparring = 10 seconds later : banging gym war championship bouts

Just drill longer ;) after class. If your gym is big enough to have people do their thing on the other side away from an going class, grab someone and do some drills. He/she will be on offense, you will be on defense, you are only allowed to block, parry, evade, and *counter. Don;t let more than 3 strikes hit you consecutively

* = interrupt their combo with one of your own, could be 6,3,2. Or kick, 3,2,3

It will feel very much like sparring

Ill try to do this more after class but the main problem is everyone leaves rather early after class so im usually left alone. My gym is rather small so there isnt a ton of people to grab to begin with (out of a class of around 10 we have even had 6 only me and maybe one other guy want to compete everyone else is there for fitness excluding the monday class). The reason for the thread is that I train in the morning before work in my little basement set up and its usually on drilling counter scenarios. Countering is also a big part of my style

<DCrying>

I never grow tired of that gif

Ill try to do this more after class but the main problem is everyone leaves rather early after class so im usually left alone. My gym is rather small so there isnt a ton of people to grab to begin with (out of a class of around 10 we have even had 6 only me and maybe one other guy want to compete everyone else is there for fitness excluding the monday class). The reason for the thread is that I train in the morning before work in my little basement set up and its usually on drilling counter scenarios. Countering is also a big part of my style
That's still doable, if they don't stay back, call them pussies.

When I did 2x a days, I had my mornings as conditioning / lifting / cardio.

You can't really do much outside of shadow boxing, and its not entirely realistic either. We need that human element to it, because even a light tap, throws the whole thing off.

I guess you could attach a string/rope across the walls and work on slipping while coming forward

What are some ways I can practice my counters when im alone. Some things I already do is shadow boxing with good defence and counters off the defence, slip bag, double end bag with counters off head movment. any other ways I can train this without a partner?
i don't know how you could learn countering without sparring...you can practice the motions alone to ingrain it a bit in muscle memory, but you might create bad habits if you do that alot more then live training. you could have a friend chuck balls at your head but then your not really alone any more. i feel that my post is kinda useless...
<6>

i don't know how you could learn countering without sparring...you can practice the motions alone to ingrain it a bit in muscle memory, but you might create bad habits if you do that alot more then live training. you could have a friend chuck balls at your head but then your not really alone any more. i feel that my post is kinda useless...
<6>

...haven't we established my social retardation.

In all honesty I do a fair bit of it in sparring and my gym is very movement and defence based so countering is usually drilled in class. Its just such a big part of my style I enjoy training the movements even when im not with a partner. Im also very aware in regards to technique. Quality reps grasshoppa
{<RR}

Last edited:
Like I said I also do counter drills with my coach.
View attachment 330201
I'm envious, you have the p4p King of coaches. The coaches of coaches. He puts Hume, Hooft, Zahabi, and Jackson to shame.

Its common for coaches to not be GOAT fighters, but Edmund's taken on Werdum on short notice, and defated him badly! Won on aggression, and ring control.

I'm envious, you have the p4p King of coaches. The coaches of coaches. He puts Hume, Hooft, Zahabi, and Jackson to shame.

Its common for coaches to not be GOAT fighters, but Edmund's taken on Werdum on short notice, and defated him badly! Won on aggression, and ring control.

Werdum beat Fador, Edmund beat Werdum. Edmund is GOAT. (Werdum got pillow feet)
<{Joewithit}> 200w_d (4).gif

Easy.

Walk up to the biggest baddest mtherfker you can find.
Tell him "mama said knock you out" and "I'm gonna knock you out !"

Start countering.

<Gordonhat>

Back