How to use the axe kick?

dudeguyman

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Seems to me employing crescent(inside and outside) and front kicks for feints would be the best option. Opinions?

Seems to me employing crescent(inside and outside) and front kicks for feints would be the best option. Opinions?

Only a couple of fighters could pull it off at high level, unless you're really proficient with it, it's a high risk kick.....

Andy Hug...

Low % effective, better spent drilling other stuff unless you are developing advanced leg attacks.

Depends. What are you fighting in? A cage? A ring? Enclosed circle?

The most successfull axe kickers run into the shot for more damage. Andy Hugs way of doing is not really ideal because while he tags them, it doesn't do much damage compared to other kicks.

a friend of mine just won a international IKF belt against a guy from Canada. He pulled off a crescent kick during the fight.

Seems a kind of mocking/trolling the opponent kick, the kickboxing equivalent of a Stockton slap more than being a technique that will actually hurt someone.

If it landed on the nose it could break it maybe that's about it.

Seems a kind of mocking/trolling the opponent kick, the kickboxing equivalent of a Stockton slap more than being a technique that will actually hurt someone.

If it landed on the nose it could break it maybe that's about it.

I think the original intention was something along those lines, yes.

Though Saenchai did have a fair bit of successs with it fighting overmatched opposition at the end of his career.

What is effective about Saenchai’s axe kick is that if an opponent starts to move out the way, sometimes he turns it into a front kick landing high on the sternum.

Examples of it doing damage are few and far between though they do exist;

Even when Saenchai was fighting balls out in Thailand he still mixed in unorthodox techniques like the flying elbow here;

The vast majority of top level kickboxer mix in some kind of spinning kick/spinning back fist at some point during their fights, though the overwhelming majority of fights are decided on the basics.

Last edited:
I think the original intention was something along those lines, yes.

Though Saenchai did have a fair bit of successs with it fighting overmatched opposition at the end of his career.

What is effective about Saenchai’s axe kick is that if an opponent starts to move out the way, sometimes he turns it into a front kick landing high on the sternum (hard to catch a kick that high, though it has very little power).

Examples of it doing damage are few and far between though they do exist;

Even when Saenchai was fighting balls out in Thailand he still mixed in unorthodox techniques like the flying elbow here;

The vast majority of top level kickboxer mix in some kind of spinning kick/spinning back fist at some point during their fights, though the overwhelming majority of fights are decided on the basics.

That's quite surprising indeed to see a KO with an axe kick.
It just goes to show that if someone has sufficient athleticism, power and technique, they could make most moves functional even biomechanically and strategically inefficient ones.

Pretty accurate, works well chained with front kicks and crescent kicks. Decent with round kicks too.

I think it's wrong to say that you shouldn't train such a kick because it's not a high percentage move. Maybe you can say train it less.

You should listen to your own body and not other people. All that matters is if you feel good throwing the kicks and understand the tactics and mechanisms behind it.

These relatively low-risk but wild techniques are a great thing to throw out there occasionally just to make sure your opponent doesn't get comfortable with recognising your patterns.

Almost landed one in my first MMA fight. I did it too far away due to being a little hesitant to commit to it. He block his head to the side opening his face wide open and my foot crossed about a foot from his open face. I was kinda pissed at myself I didn't commit to it and close the distance. Doubt it would have koed him or rocked him bad, but it would have been cool to land it.

Stumbled one from old school Muay Thai (timestamped);

No idea what that documentary is about but it looked interesting.

Would he more useful against those tending to move linearly and away from an impending attack instead of countering. That's probably why it's much more common in TKD

I feel it takes a lot of speed and leg strength to KO someone with it.

The reason being the downward movement vs the skull/neck. Where as a round kick, spin back kick, capoeira spin kick have left and right movement and a lot of room for wind up.

Even a front kick that goes straight up (not side to side) goes directly to the opponents jaw.

With the ax kick it must come up first (easier tell) and you're striking with what momentum was created on the downward foot movement. On top of that it's more likely to hit the crown and top of head instead of the jaw.

So the reason it's low percentage, than even a question mark kick which has broken momentum, is because a) the visual tell b) less likely to hit on the jaw or chin c) the striking range of the kicking motion (the motion downward) whether facilitated by a crescent motion beforehand, is limited.

Leg must come up first before coming down and it's less likely to hit the jaw in a way that rattles the brain.

PS: I'm a newer member that wants to make new threads to discuss striking tips and ideas. How do I get sufficient privileges to post new threads? Thanks

Last edited:
The trick is to use the axe and forget about the kick.

Back