How to Tie Your Jiu-Jitsu Pants w/ Rener Gracie

Hahaha me too sadly. I've been just tying the thing together randomly for 18 months and the stupid things kept falling down. Sad to say that this video was extremely helpful for me

Why did no one show me how to do this? This should be shown the first day of every BJJ class. Unless they're all silently giggling behind closed doors at us and this is their version of hazing or something.

Since a few have found the first video helpful, here's one that's related:

Since a few have found the first video helpful, here's one that's related:

Oh man, 9 minutes on belt tieing. This stuff is WAY too funny when inebriated.

It's not Rener, but the guy shows a pretty dang cool detail that I never noticed before:

Kinda like the difference between thinking you know a fundamental technique, and then having a master show you a little detail you never saw that takes it to the next level. :)

a3a.gif

OMG

This is the single most helpful BJJ video I have EVER watched. No joke. Here are a few images to express the emotions that Rener has invoked

jai2px.png

v9v2s.gif

i5u8w4.gif

That shit is funny!

It's not Rener, but the guy shows a pretty dang cool detail that I never noticed before:

Kinda like the difference between thinking you know a fundamental technique, and then having a master show you a little detail you never saw that takes it to the next level. :)

I've been doing it wrong my whole life.

20659243.jpg

Last edited:
This video, and responses, prove that a great deal of humanity would erase itself if we were ever forced to problem solve in life or death situations.

You don't have to tie it the way he does to get the same strong form knot. It's pretty awkward to loop it around the other way if you are right handed. The video misses the underlying concept entirely.

The knot is handed in both phases: the initial crossing and pulling the laces tight, and then the making the bow and looping around part. If you tie right handed and then right handed, you get the weak form. In the video, he is tying right handed and then left handed, making the strong form. But it is really awkward to tie a bow left handed using your right hand.

Luckily, you can much more easily get the strong form by tying left handed and then right handed. It's a lot easier to do the initial crossing and pulling left handed than the little bow part. You will see that you get to the same exact knot. Just do the initial crossing and pulling the laces tight part exactly backwards of how you do it right handed now, and then do the bow part just the same as always.

The key is just reversing the handedness of the knot to make it align with the long axis. Looping it around the other way is just a more complicated way of setting that up.

I am a red belt in shoe lacing by the way.

Could you make a video please?

This explains the two knots. The strong form is a reef knot. The weak form is a granny knot.

The difference is whether you go right over left or left over right. You are just doing it twice. There is nothing special about the bow ends; you just treat them like one piece of lace and cross them over.

If you can't figure it out the bunny around the tree way, just make two bunnies and knot them the same way you did it with no bunnies at first. If you make a granny knot (weak form), just reverse one of the steps and keep the other step the same. It's easier to reverse on the step before you make the bunnies I think.

Basically, if you are tying the granny knot, just go switch from right over left to left over right or vice versa when you do the first step before you make any bunnies. Keep the bunny part the same. Now you have a reef knot like a boss.

Also, think about how you tie your belt. That is another reef knot.

When you wrap it around the first time, you tighten it with the right end over top of the left end. When do it again to finish it, you switch sides and put the left end over top of the right end. This makes the reef knot that looks nice and lays side to side.

If you didn't switch your sides and did the right end over top of the left end again, you'd tie a granny knot. This is the dumb shit white belt knot that sticks straight up and down.

Your shoe laces are the same. Do one right end over the top, and do one left end over the top. If you do it the same both times without reversing it, you will end up with the bad granny knot.

Yes, you should wash your belt many times to make it appear older and more worn out. You must air dry it or it will shrink and use fabric softener too.

Bump

@2:00

everyone had a giggle, but now that guy is the first man to finish Frankie Edgar and will challenge for a title...

"who saw that coming?!"
*Joe Rogan voice*

I've been tying my pants wrong for a decade.

I've been tying my shoes wrong for several decades.

I wonder what condition my ass is in.

Last edited:
Back