how to take a punch?

shermanguy

Yellow Belt
@Yellow
Reaction score
I have never been able to take a punch like the better fighters at the gym. I stay wobbled and remain vulnerable longer than other guys. Why?

Is there anything I can do to take a punch better? Or is it just genetic, who is born with the better chin or not? WHAT CAN I DO TO DEVELOP MY CHIN????

Also, what do you think the effects of fitness and age are on the chin?

for the most part, how u take punches is what ur born w/. For whatever reason, tons of Mexican fighters have iron heads and can take hits w/o flinching. U can develop ur neck muscles to help a bit, but if someone has a glass jaw, best bet is to learn how to move that thing so it won't get hit in the first place.

it's not cool to absorb punishment, so even if defense isn't your "thing", develop it to the point where u won't walk away from fights looking like shit. even offensive machines like Trinidad had enough of a defense not to get splattered nonstop and walk away like a train wreck.

If you are flinching you can train that away. Just take a couple of punches and force yourself not to flinch, should only take a couple of sparring sessions.

I saw a movie where muay thai guys were pulling weights by biting a rope and lifting their necks, I dont know if its beneficial but it looked hardcore!

LilFinger said:
If you are flinching you can train that away. Just take a couple of punches and force yourself not to flinch, should only take a couple of sparring sessions.

I saw a movie where muay thai guys were pulling weights by biting a rope and lifting their necks, I dont know if its beneficial but it looked hardcore!

boxers do that exercise in essence, w/ a headstrap connected to a weight and lift their head up and down, usually while laying in the ring w/ their head leaning out so the weight dangles over the floor. Like i said before, it sure helps b/c a weak neck damn sure won't.

Developing and getting a strong neck is the best advice

shermanguy said:
WHAT CAN I DO TO DEVELOP MY CHIN????

develop a strong neck. (twice a week)

124404275.jpg

One of the reasons Holyfield could hang with the big guys was that he could take a punch.

Iloveshamrock said:
Take a punch better... hmm let me think about that. How about not getting punch in the first place.

I take it you don't do much stand-up.

Don't listen to this guy. Getting punched is inevitable. I came into MMA from a Traditional Martial Art and Reality-Based Self Defense background. The people who teach those styles have this way of making you believe you're invincible, and that you can avoid being hit while dishing out punishment. When I started Muay Thai and Kickboxing sparring, I was in for a rude awakening about my invincibility.

There's a few ways I can advise you. First, you need to protect your jaw at all costs. You are going to get hit, but it is possible to go without being hit in the jaw. ALWAYS keep your chin DOWN. And, make sure you're clenching your jaw.

When you're defending, make sure to counterattack. That was one problem I had when I started sparring. I wanted to get so good at the defense, because being hit was a big shock to me. I would just sit there and try to defend every strike that was thrown at me, while ignoring all these great counterattack opportunities. Drill it into your head to take the opportunity when you see an opening for a counterattack. Defend, and then realize that your defense has done its job, and it's time to switch to offense.

Get rid of your ego before you step into the ring or wherever you're sparring. Realize before you step in that you are going to get hit no matter what happens, but as long as you keep your chin protected, you'll be okay. You can take an absolute battering to the forehead, believe me. It's when you start to get hit in the nose and jaw that you run into trouble.

Now, you say other fighters are good at remaining standing after they get hit. Are they taking clean shots to the face, or are they taking it on their forehead? You need to realize that the location of a punch on the face makes all the difference in the world.

Remember to stay calm when you're under attack. This took me many a sparring session to do, but I'm really getting good at it. Be confident enough in yourself that you can ride a storm of punches on the forehead (because believe me, you can). When you start to panic and clam up when someone's throwing punches at you, you tend to make yourself a much easier target than when you just relax, protect your chin, and fight your way out of it.

I'm guessing your problem is one of or both of these problems:

-You're getting hit in the nose or jaw, while the other fighters are getting hit in the forehead. That's why they're able to stay standing.

-You're not relaxing during sparring, and thinking of every strike that you didn't defend as a failure. If a punch or kick gets through your defense, relax. You need to learn to let the past go, and by past, I mean milliseconds. You need to always be focusing on the present and the very near future. Don't worry about a punch that hit you, and don't get cocky when you land a punch on him.

If you're getting wobbled, you're taking shots on the chin. If you're just finding yourself under a storm of punches, and in a very vulnerable, unbalanced position, you're not relaxing.

Strengthening your neck muscles will help. But I really don't believe that's your problem.

Just think about what I said, ask for help from your coaches, check your form, and RELAX! Sparring used to be this big test for me. I wanted to spar to get better, but at the same time I loathed having to get hit by guys who were bigger and better than me. After a while though, I really started to have fun sparring. Getting hit is really no big deal, as long as you're not taking it on the jaw. Sparring is an absolute blast once you learn to throw caution to the wind and not worry about getting hit anymore.

Good luck!

And thanks to the many others for their sincere responses...I am going to train my neck muscles for sure. I have never done that consistently before. My neck is definitely weaker than the ex-wrestlers I have sparred with.

Iceman, when you asked about what I was comparing myself to, I think I am making a true apples-apples comparison with other guys I know at the gym. I have seen them get hit in the jaw by a certain guy and show little effect, but I seem to get dizzy with the same punch and have trouble finding my bearings soon afterwards.

It's not just me I guess. Watching Pride and UFC events, there are just some guys that can take something like an uppercut better than others, and feel like I am one of the "others" and wondered if there is anything I can do differently.

Thanks for all the tips on mindset and strategy- I guess that along with neck exercises are all I can do.

For whatever reason, tons of Mexican fighters have iron heads..

that's because mexico has a larger population base for boxing than most countries. A larger talent pool= more people withe the tools to become great fighters.

I got a Doctor buddy and he says there is a mechanism in your brain that regulates conciousness. It's called the ascending reticular somethingorother, it is located low down on the medula oblongata.
Basically, any sudden impact or snapping on the neck, chin or jaw will shut this thing down and make you go bye-bye.

Doctor says that it is genetic how much punishment your ascendor-reticulator will take. But you can develop your neck to help keep it in place when you are struck, it will help.

I do not beilve the your born with it stuff.When I stated kick boxing last year my chin wasn't near what it is now and I have done no neck strengthening what so ever.I think you build a tolerance to a degree with sparring.Maybe the other guys in your gym are just as stunned and wobblely as you but don't seem to show as mush as you do.

really work out your neck, and chew gum whenever you can. works out the muscles around the jaw.

shermanguy said:
And thanks to the many others for their sincere responses...I am going to train my neck muscles for sure. I have never done that consistently before. My neck is definitely weaker than the ex-wrestlers I have sparred with.

Iceman, when you asked about what I was comparing myself to, I think I am making a true apples-apples comparison with other guys I know at the gym. I have seen them get hit in the jaw by a certain guy and show little effect, but I seem to get dizzy with the same punch and have trouble finding my bearings soon afterwards.

It's not just me I guess. Watching Pride and UFC events, there are just some guys that can take something like an uppercut better than others, and feel like I am one of the "others" and wondered if there is anything I can do differently.

Thanks for all the tips on mindset and strategy- I guess that along with neck exercises are all I can do.

No problem man. But still, make sure that your jaw is clenched. You could possibly be keeping your jaw open without noticing it.

Idk. It's just me. I truly believe a hit to the jaw is a hit to the jaw. Some strength in neck muscles might help a little, but I think the only difference between getting wobbled by a jaw shot or not getting wobbled depends solely on if your jaw was clenched and how the punch hit you. Just keep your chin up... err... in this case... keep your chin DOWN and keep working at it.

Everyone said 'neck exercises' already so I'm going to say, Wrestlers Bridges...

... I love 'em.

AgentZ said:
Everyone said 'neck exercises' already so I'm going to say, Wrestlers Bridges...

... I love 'em.

Haha, or you could always do what they do in Thailand: attach a rope to a weight or some heavy rocks, bite on it (sometimes have a stick to bite on), and life the weight or rocks with your neck. It must do wonders for your dental bill :wink:

I agree with a lot of what Iceman says.

But it's also psychology too. I train with fullcontact titleholders, if they are lucky enough to catch me with a punch I laugh it off. But if it is on the button, and you aint thinking right, you gonna feel it.

Back