How to spar

Discussion in 'Standup Technique' started by freaky, Oct 4, 2017.

1. freaky Black Belt

freaky

I just want to share this video. All technique and speed but no power. They look like they're having so much fun.
    No protective gear needed. They can spar like this for days.

I don't understand why boxing and AKA spar 100% all the time. You would learn so much more if you spar light. Light and control. I remember my coach saying, don't throw it if you can't control it.

What say you guys? Why do Thais spar light and boxers feel the need to go 100%? How do you spar? What's the best way? IMO, this is the best way. Also explains why Thais can keep fighting almost every week while boxers and MMA fighters only fight once or twice a year.

RichardN7 likes this.
  2. j123 Pro Sherdogger 500-0-1

j123
    Different gym culture. Hard sparring has its place, you do need to hard spar but not at the frequency some gyms do it at. I only hard spar 1-3 times when in camp, thats it. And its about the midway point.

Also, they spar lighter because they fight more frequently, can't be getting banged up when you're set to fight every month or 2, compared to 3-4x a year in North America.

imo the best is "thai-styled" spars around 30-50% power BUT not dropping speed or technique. Problem alot have is assuming power = speed, so they decrease speed to tai chi style sparring and the technique suffers.

To me sparring isn't a fight or a makeshift exhibition, its a testing ground for me to test techniques and tactics I've been drilling all week, and putting it to work in a live environment. To be fair, my drilling is pretty much light sparring. Its usually stuff like partner's on offense with all freedom, I'm on defense, and my only tools is to close distance to clinch. It ends up feeling like sparring.

PivotPunch and Paradigm like this.
  3. Paradigm Gold Belt

Paradigm
    Thais are humble people that need to fight often to feed their families and Americans are meatheads that barely fight in comparison so they hammer it out in the gym. Even the poorest people here in the US are not as poor as the poor in Thailand.

Plus, we can afford the best CTE treatments over here (or something).

Personally, I spar like the lighter Thai way, since the guys I came up under were all Thais. Even sparring at 50% 3-4x a week can end up with you feeling banged up, hitting the random elbow with a kick or whatever.

4. j123 Pro Sherdogger 500-0-1

j123
    There is alot on this, really its guys who don't fight that have the gym wars as their "fight". Its alot of bullshit though, if they really wanted a semi-exhibition they'd tell their partners straight up they're gonna go hard, but they don't. So essentially they "sucker-spar" their partner. John doe might be looking to work slip 3, step in 2 and has the mindset of a regular spar, chilled, and technically focused, whereas "chump the can" amped himself for an hour before thinking he's going to war. Comes to the gym, throws John off with laugh and smiles. Then the bullshit happens.

We had a former gym hero (not with our gym anymore) who injured a fighter during a spar because he felt was being "ignored". guy didn't sign up for camp, doesn't do the classes, just hits the bag. When he comes against intermediate and top level guys at the gym and gets wrecked, he disappears for a month.

I also believe gyms who's members engage in gym wars all the time never progress at all. You can't work on new material if someone is trying to injure you and shut everything you have down with just aggression. The only progress that happens is their aggression and probably athleticism for pushing a high pace all the time. Still not worth the injuries and brain trauma. Save that stuff for the ring/cage

Paradigm likes this.
  5. Reyesnuthugr belt

Reyesnuthugr
    I think Thais have fights so often that it effectively substitutes for any hard sparring that they could ever need. They have no time to develop rust, they are always in tune and just need light sparring to test new techniques and keep minorly adjusted between fights.

6. Sinister Doctor of Doom

Sinister
    There's a thread around here some guy started called "levels of sparring" ...check it out.

7. tehmvp WBA Super Neighborhood Champion

tehmvp
  8. Atrfin White Belt

Atrfin
    Exactly this. I was sparring with a guy yesterday who was blasting me full power and I asked him to tone down his punches. After the round we were chatting and he was telling how he doesn't understand how he is not supposed hit with power because "speed is power right?", and if he doesn't hit fast then I easily block and it becomes pointless.

9. Tiger Random Poster

Tiger
    There's a difference in putting everything in your punch to hurt the other guy and simply going hard to simulate a real fight.

In my experience sparring light does not help me much. Unless you feel the threat and deal with it accordingly, how will you remain calm when you finally get the real deal?

That being said, going full blast just to hurt the other guy is stupid.

Maxim Warfield likes this.
  10. j123 Pro Sherdogger 500-0-1

j123
    You can spar light (in terms of power) while keeping the speed and intensity high. Its not a one or the other arrangement. But different strokes for different folks I guess. Light sparring doesn't mean pit pat tai chi sparring. Its still intense, but the power is dropped.

Generally if you can hit your partners and you still have lots of weight to push in, thats good enough. Only thing that's left is just a slight shift forward and that's KO/rock city.

Maxim Warfield likes this.
  11. spacetime Purple Belt

spacetime
    I have sparred semi to full contact, and I found that punching was less sensitive to semi contact than kicking. You can throw proper hip rotation kicks that do damage in a semicontact format, but you can do that with punching a lot easier

12. Maxim Warfield White Belt

Maxim Warfield
    IMO, There is no 'best' way or 'how to' spar. You only have spar types which suits what you want. The key is to communicate with your sparring partner on how intense you want it.

That day I was sparring with a newbie (who has been in some street fights) and he was throwing his punches and kicks like life depends on it even when we are actually being supervised by our trainer to practice sparring with the new combos we just learnt. From that I learnt that communication is vital in sparring.