how to spar against kyokushin karate fighter

From the perspective of a guy who served 2 years in an inner city shelter with constant drug gang trafficking activity all around the facility, ex cons cycling in and out of the crim justice system leading to daily violent altercations against clients and staff.

I can't think of a better combination than KK with Judo based TDD. Taking in to account the liability and agg assault legalities the TDD Judo control is more appropriate but direct assaults on staff are common so KK conditioning from bare knuckle sparring and in very limited applications offensive response make clients back off.

Great combo sry to interrupt some interesting info....

No need to apologize, your input is very valuable. Of all the traditional Martial Arts Geoff Thompson is of the opinion that Old School Judo is the best kept secret of the Martial Arts. Personally I, like you, am of the viewpoint that KK along with some old school Judo is the best kept secret.

But I do have to agree to a certain extent with spacetime (even though he was trolling me o_O ) that one should also make sure that he knows how to defend against punches to the head and he should have some decent footwork as part of his toolkit. I am personally a fan of the kind of footwork (sabaki) that the late Hideyuki Ashihara taught.

what are their weaknesses? I don't seem to get close enough to punch as he keeps alot of distance with his kicks and barely punches. any tips how to spar against these types of fighting styles would be appreciated.

Wing chun can be used against most styles if you are sufficiently proficient, but you have to get a high level of mastery. Have a look at the way the person in this video is defending against two attackers

Wing chun can be used against most styles if you are sufficiently proficient, but you have to get a high level of mastery. Have a look at the way the person in this video is defending against two attackers

LOL. Dude, the guy in the video is not defending himself against two attackers. He's playing around and flailing his arms just like the other two guys.

From the perspective of a guy who served 2 years in an inner city shelter with constant drug gang trafficking activity all around the facility, ex cons cycling in and out of the crim justice system leading to daily violent altercations against clients and staff.

I can't think of a better combination than KK with Judo based TDD. Taking in to account the liability and agg assault legalities the TDD Judo control is more appropriate but direct assaults on staff are common so KK conditioning from bare knuckle sparring and in very limited applications offensive response make clients back off.

Great combo sry to interrupt some interesting info....

That's interesting as you share the opinion of someone I know who works in a rough prison and he also says that he finds KK + Judo and Japanese Jujutsu type of holds and locks to be the most relevant for him in his daily job having to deal with all kind of aggressive criminals with unpredictable behaviours. He also trains some boxing sometimes here and there.

This is just my experience - so take it with a grain of salt.

I've only really ever done Kyokushin (and a similar karate style before that but that was a long time ago).

I've been doing Kudo just over a year and I can say quite honestly that pure boxing wise I'm a newb. I'm lucky that I seem to have a chin but it would be an understatement to say that I get boxed up by the guys who've been doing Kudo longer. I think most KK guys would have the same issues. I think part of the issue is the Kudo helmet - still not use to it and breathing with it on is not easy - as well as the mist that makes it difficult to see.

Although I'll add as well that when it's boxing & kicks - I don't get hit nearly as much and my KK training seems to be an edge - to the point that I can spar on equal terms with senior grades and give them issues at least with the standup.

The grappling does change things a lot but I think if you have a set strategy/gameplan - you can minimize the grappling exchanges but the threat will always still be there.

That's my two cents.

evidently mas oyama did know how to punch people in the head. this looks to me more like traditional karate.

That won't do any good unless you actually have a proper boxing coach. Boxing is not about simply throwing punches, it's about combinations and defence. Unless you learn that in a boxing gym, you will get steamrolled by a kickboxer, let alone boxer. For instance head movements, combos are all things part of boxing theory that a Karate club misses even if the boxing strikes are taught and even applied in karate sparring.
that doesnt seem to hold true from all the kk guys who did well in k1

Understand what they are doing, their strength and what they don´t like.

You need to learn how to close the distance
Study the ways people beat lyoto machida

lol you trying to get me bro?! lol. oh yeah he is one who did. but I hadnt heard that the others did.

I can't prove it but they would have been foolish not to. Also, the were the most gifted fighters on the planet and really not representative for Kyokushin.

They crosstrained extensively in boxing.

Most K-1 fighters cross-trained in boxing whatever their original style, including the Thais like Buakaw.

I can't prove it but they would have been foolish not to. Also, the were the most gifted fighters on the planet and really not representative for Kyokushin.

You're talking out of your ass again. Guys like Francisco Filho didn't extensively train in boxing and you can see that in his fights.

How were the Kyokushin fighters who fought in K-1 not representatitve of Kyokushin btw? Because they were gifted? WTF? lol

How were the Kyokushin fighters who fought in K-1 not representatitve of Kyokushin btw? Because they were gifted? WTF? lol

Yeah. Gifted people are not representative of Kyokushin or any other art, because gifted people are not the average. Most people training are average joes who go to work the next day.

Yeah. Gifted people are not representative of Kyokushin or any other art, because gifted people are not the average. Most people training are average joes who go to work the next day.

What about gifted people who choose not to fight as a career path?

Back