How to Solve the Champion Duck Syndrome

Bubba32

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
aka: the Mighty Mouse Johnson, aka the Tyrone Woodley, etc...

CHampions want to hold onto the belt as long as they can so once they see a threat or bad stylistic matchup or an easier fight elsewhere they begin displaying symptoms of the "champion duck syndrome".

I say let's get rid of champions holding the belt and just have the 2 best guys available fight for the belt every so often. Just like what happens in every other sport.

The previous champ gets first right of refusal to fight for the belt the next time its scheduled to be up and if they cant make it they wait until the next time its up.

if DJ doesnt want to fight TJ then dillashaw can fight cejudo for the title.

in other words you're only champion the night you win the belt up to the night its up for grabs again.

I think this will eliminate the bullshit.

this also means no more shitty interim belts.

lmao

DJ has defended his OWN division just fine.

Focus on CHUMP champs like McGREGOR, who have NEVER defended their titles instead.

aka: the Mighty Mouse Johnson, aka the Tyrone Woodley, etc...

CHampions want to hold onto the belt as long as they can so once they see a threat or bad stylistic matchup or an easier fight elsewhere they begin displaying symptoms of the "champion duck syndrome".

I say let's get rid of champions holding the belt and just have the 2 best guys available fight for the belt every so often. Just like what happens in every other sport.

The previous champ gets first right of refusal to fight for the belt the next time its scheduled to be up and if they cant make it they wait until the next time its up.

if DJ doesnt want to fight TJ then dillashaw can fight cejudo for the title.

in other words you're only champion the night you win the belt up to the night its up for grabs again.

I think this will eliminate the bullshit.

Easy to solve indeed....

Just ban the degenerate MMA "fans" like TS, who accuse them of ducking.

Champions have to take care of their bodies more so than other fighters. If there's a title defense scheduled and they get injured, 20% of their purse should be given to the contender already. If there's no injury and they declined to fight the no.1, strip them of their belt asap, give it to the no.1 contender and put the former champ at the back of the line-around top 12-15.

Easy to solve indeed....

Just ban the degenerate MMA "fans" like TS, who accuse them of ducking.
CevSbMZWQAAcs9o.jpg

The best way to solve his issue would be to remind fighters that the belt belongs to the UFC. It isn’t the champion’s belt, it’s the UFC’s. If you don’t want to fight the guy the UFC views as the next challenger, fine. You’re stripped of the belt. It isn’t the champion’s call on if a guy has “earned” a shot, it’s the UFC’s. Could you imagine an NFL Super Bowl team talking about refusing to play the other team because they were a 9-7 wildcard team? Fuck no. It’s utterly ridiculous.

The best way to solve his issue would be to remind fighters that the belt belongs to the UFC. It isn’t the champion’s belt, it’s the UFC’s. If you don’t want to fight the guy the UFC views as the next challenger, fine. You’re stripped of the belt. It isn’t the champion’s call on if a guy has “earned” a shot, it’s the UFC’s. Could you imagine an NFL Super Bowl team talking about refusing to play the other team because they were a 9-7 wildcard team? Fuck no. It’s utterly ridiculous.

this makes alot of sense. I like how you think.

this should just become the standard practice. Instead of interim belts. just do away with interim belts and let the 2 next best guys fight for the real title. if the champ ever nuts up and decides to come back they could fight whoever is the champ at the time.

this should also go for injuries as well because they could fake injuries just like what tyrone and might duck johnson are doing.

Being a UFC champion means getting paid. Is it shocking that champs want to take easy matchups or fights outside their weight class?
The vast majority of fighters make peanuts. Pay the fighters more and maybe you’ll get less ducking

I get annoyed with champs not taking the fights the fans want to see too but your examples don't make sense

Who has Woodley ducked? He might bitch and complain about it, but he has fought the number one contenders. I find his schtick annoying too but he hasn't actually ducked anyone. He's asked to, the UFC has said no, and then he's fought the #1 contenders.

Mighty Mouse has fought everyone in his division you can't strip him of the flyweight title for not wanting to fight a bantamweight, if you're doing that, just close the flyweight division and move them all back up to 135. Which tbh, you wouldn't see me too upset about

Being a UFC champion means getting paid. Is it shocking that champs want to take easy matchups or fights outside their weight class?
The vast majority of fighters make peanuts. Pay the fighters more and maybe you’ll get less ducking

the highest paid fighter (conor) is the biggest duck. second highest paid fighter (gsp) is now also a duck.

You pay them more and the more time they can afford to sit out.

I get annoyed with champs not taking the fights the fans want to see too but your examples don't make sense

Who has Woodley ducked? He might bitch and complain about it, but he has fought the number one contenders. I find his schtick annoying too but he hasn't actually ducked anyone. He's asked to, the UFC has said no, and then he's fought the #1 contenders.

Mighty Mouse has fought everyone in his division you can't strip him of the flyweight title for not wanting to fight a bantamweight, if you're doing that, just close the flyweight division and move them all back up to 135. Which tbh, you wouldn't see me too upset about

Tyrone ducked both covington and rda.

mighty mouse isnt being asked to move up to 135. TJ is moving down to 125. a ducks a duck.

when you have 2 clear contenders ready to fight for the title and the champion isnt ready (whether its because he's ducking or injury) the 2 clear contenders should fight for the title and the previous champ stripped once you have a winner.

DJ has defended his title against the best FLWs 11 times.

Tyrone ducked both covington and rda.

mighty mouse isnt being asked to move up to 135. TJ is moving down to 125. a ducks a duck.

By having surgery?

And TJ has never fought at 125. If he fought at 125, you can take the 125 title from MM for failing to defend against the number 1 contender. But TJ can't be the number one contender in a division he's never fought in. Whether Mouse is ducking or not it goes against all logic to strip him of the title unless TJ takes a fight at 25 and he still ducks

By having surgery?

And TJ has never fought at 125. If he fought at 125, you can take the 125 title from MM for failing to defend against the number 1 contender. But TJ can't be the number one contender in a division he's never fought in. Whether Mouse is ducking or not it goes against all logic to strip him of the title unless TJ takes a fight at 25 and he still ducks

when you're champ you have to fight anybody put infront of you that's in your weight class period.

you duck you forfeit.

when you're champ you have to fight anybody put infront of you that's in your weight class period.

you duck you forfeit.

He's not in his weight class until he fights in his weight class

That's how it works in every sport

you duck you forfeit.

You just want to argue, so I’ll just say this, your suggestions are never gonna happen./endthread.

Just adopt a zero tolerance policy. If you are able to fight and refuse to you're stripped and bumped from the top 10 and have to start all over again.

This has been tried. They did it in chess and everyone just ignored the tournament winners and kept following the lineal title. The players themselves even kept having the matches between each other even when they weren't sanctioned, lol.

Back