How to Set Up X-Guard

goatfury

Gold Belt
Platinum Member
Reaction score
https://howtheyplay.com/individual-sports/How-to-Set-Up-X-Guard

X-guard is the best guard. Well, that's a little subjective, but it's a position that more often than not leads to a sweep, and once you're in the position, the sweeps are relatively easy to hit. Getting there, on the other hand, can be a real challenge, particularly if your opponent is savvy and understands how bad things can be for them if you get underneath them. Here, we'll cover a relatively basic entry you can use right away, then augment this with considerably more advanced techniques you can use to sneak into X-guard on virtually any partner.

NICE ONE CHAMP!

If I go to x guard I almost always set it up with 1LX first. This will help me diversify. Thanks.

Nice x-guard entry from butterfly, thanks.

Any suggestions getting to x-guard from closed guard when opponent stands up? I can’t seem to work out a very smooth transition on this one.

Nice x-guard entry from butterfly, thanks.

Any suggestions getting to x-guard from closed guard when opponent stands up? I can’t seem to work out a very smooth transition on this one.
X-guard from closed guard isn't impossible, but it definitely involves more steps, and you're much better off (IMO) hitting a more fundamental sweep from right there. If you're interested, I can put together a future tutorial on this topic.

If you're really, really sold on going to X-guard from closed guard, I'd recommend pointing your inside knee (whichever one you choose as they stand) down and toward the ground, and then entangling their legs that way. This likely will make little sense without examples; unfortunately, I don't have any at the ready right now.

X-guard from closed guard isn't impossible, but it definitely involves more steps, and you're much better off (IMO) hitting a more fundamental sweep from right there. If you're interested, I can put together a future tutorial on this topic.

If you're really, really sold on going to X-guard from closed guard, I'd recommend pointing your inside knee (whichever one you choose as they stand) down and toward the ground, and then entangling their legs that way. This likely will make little sense without examples; unfortunately, I don't have any at the ready right now.

Thank you for this. I’ve just started playing with the waiter sweep against standing opponent in my closed guard.

A future tutorial would be great on getting x-guard from closed guard......only if you feel like it of course.

Thanks again!

Thank you for this. I’ve just started playing with the waiter sweep against standing opponent in my closed guard.

A future tutorial would be great on getting x-guard from closed guard......only if you feel like it of course.

Thanks again!
I'm very curious as to how you are hitting the waiter sweep from closed guard.

Just to be sure we are on the same page, are we talking about this?
https://howtheyplay.com/individual-...p-Options-from-Deep-Half-Guard-a-BJJ-Tutorial

I'm very curious as to how you are hitting the waiter sweep from closed guard.

Just to be sure we are on the same page, are we talking about this?
https://howtheyplay.com/individual-...p-Options-from-Deep-Half-Guard-a-BJJ-Tutorial
He may mean the sweep where your opponent stands in your closed guard and you underhook a leg with one hand and use your other hand to push off the mat. The pushing motion kind of looks like a waiter holding a platter (if the waiter were upside down).

I like your description better.....eliminates confusion. All good, I’m going to drill the heck out this, plus the arm bar options. Thanks again, great vids!
Glad to help! If you get stuck doing any of the things I suggest in the videos, just reach out. I can help (well, hopefully!).

Back