How to set up hits?

Ilk

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
I have a lot of time to shadow box now and want to improve my technique and knowledge in stand up. I am reading in these forums a lot regarding set ups however I have a hard time to understand what hit or combo sets up which hits.

For example I know that a good reaching jab to the head can set up a good reaching jab to the body or vice versa. And when you mix them up a bit the oponent may get confused. You can double the jab or eveb go body head or head body or even chest head and etc. I ve learned in a private session with a very good coach how to set up a cross after a double jab by almost stepping on the back foot of my opponent which creates a good angle. I am awared that you can side step and attack and etc. I can set up low kicks with jab low kick or 1-2 low kick. However my repertoar is very simple. I have been practicing these like for almost 2 years. I have few more combos. I have created good technique in the leaping hook both the body and the head, my jab is ok, my basic set ups are okay. My starting straight right has some work to be done but I feel like I can finally step up to the next level with technique.

Please advice me on the following.
1) short 3-4 hit combos which set up a strong finishing blow in which I can remain defensively responsible. How do I get in in the proper distance, how do I trow what is the aim of the combo, and how I defend after I trow.

2) How can I circle around like Lomachenko does. I know he is an unique fighter who is extremely fast. But I believe he sets up trough a long range of feints and bullshit hits which allows him to to circle arround. My goal here is to learn how to do a combo, circle arround which is both an offensive and defensive manevuer and continue with a second combo. I want to be able to put a lot of pressure and mix up 2 combinations in a very short time period.

I really like Duke Roufus' four pillars of striking.

You let a bartender slap you, then you can counter back

You don't need much of a repertoire, 1 or 2 basic combo can work well, now you obviously adjust the levels to mix it up so you won't be predictable. Really the majority of my exp. my combo was 1,2,3, kick as offense, and kick, 3,2 as my defense combo (interrupting their flurry with my own).

So learn how to use your reach as bullshit. What I mean is, because people block, you can strike a bit further away and the feeling that their block "saved" them, fucks with them. They assume without the block your strikes would hit (very common with newer cats that don't know distance/range well), so it'll get to a point when they respect your hands, they'll be on the defense and you can kick. One of my favorite times to land a kick is when they're backstepping, it's basically a freebie. Rarely does anyone check while moving backwards its extremely difficult, and probably needs planning. For this you will need to learn "pursuit" combos on how to move forward while striking.

After you throw your combo, you can do 1 of two things:
-if the impact damages your opponent (steps back / buckles), stay there and continue with another combo, etc
-they remain firm and your combo didn't do much, step back out of their distance (orthodox: lead leg step back, now in SP stance, then step other leg back -- this will happen quick, maybe 1-1.5 sec) or angle out to the side. Basically get out of their strike range

I personally like 1,2,1 kick over 1,2,3,kick. Its faster, and realistically for the full extension of the cross to hit, the hook would never hit unless you open up, or you jam the cross to land the hook.

Putting pressure is another story, I don't know the "technical" specifics, when I generally have a "stalky" walk down type approach for aggression. Since I started competing, ring control has always been a large criteria (tied with aggression), so I've been trained to push forward. With that said, you go forward, and try to cut the space off your opponent/partners, while keeping your hands busy so you won't end up telegraphing. Telegraphing in the sense you move around alot, but dead stop for 1/5th of a second before throwing, thats a big telegraph, and people will see it).

For feints and bs to work, your opponent has to respect your strikes, if they don't, they won't buy it. You will have to sell it properly as well, throw the hands fast (doesn't have to be KO power -- 30-50% is plenty in sparring) while giving the body language and breathing that its a nasty head snapping strike.

Thank you both of you. Explained a lot.

Back