How to practice BJJ alone?

no_itsnotadash**

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I've been taking BJJ for a couple of months now but since I take only one night a week (only night its offered, can't afford to travel to take more) I want to practice more. I know this has probably been asked before but how can I improve by myself?

goals: solidify the basics and be more conditioned for rolling.

books, dvds, drills, anything.

I am very broke right now so cheap solutions are very welcomed!

One of our blue belts says that he practices submissions and positioning at home by himself. Not sure how much that actually helps but i'm sure it does a little bit.

Only thing i'd be able to suggest is practicing on a friend/family member.

Grappling alone? I think putting the extra time into pure physical workouts instead will be more productive for you.

its pretty easy, i just watch mma, bjj and some tutorial vids on youtube, buying a dvd or some books can also be usefull

its pretty easy, i just watch mma, bjj and some tutorial vids on youtube, buying a dvd or some books can also be usefull

That's called watching not practicing. Maybe some call this practicing, but they probably aren't that good.

Its tough because a lot of what you learn/practice really needs to be applied to someone to get it down.

It's hard to practice with friends when you work 12 hour shifts :rolleyes:

well when you work 12 hour shifts you dont have much time for anything.. but if you really love bjj and truly want to learn more.

make it a priority in your life. make friends that also train or convince your friends to practice with you.

roll around on a stability ball, squeeze it between your legs, do knee on bellys (on the ball) stuff like that can help out your jj related strength.

Do the work outs on crossfit.com. If you can keep up (it is a hell of a workout), then at least you won't gas or be overpowered at training. Also, write down everything you learn and review it every day.

If you need help giving yourself a bj, i advise getting REALLY Flexible.

:redface: :redface:

I'll take a shot at this one.

I think BJJ can be supplemented with solo practice. Good examples of things to work on:

Rolling in all directions
Hip movement (shrimping, hipping up for triangles/armbars, etc.)
Bridging
Escaping to the knees
Certain basic sweep movements (hip bump, scissor, flower)

Also don't forget about takedowns. Doing shots in the air is very helpful for form. Also any other throw you want to do is good to practice in the air.

Just remember it's not a substitute for training with a partner. It's just a supplement. But to that end, I think training on your own is just fine and in fact very useful. I do it personally, for what it's worth.

I'll take a shot at this one.

I think BJJ can be supplemented with solo practice. Good examples of things to work on:

Rolling in all directions
Hip movement (shrimping, hipping up for triangles/armbars, etc.)
Bridging
Escaping to the knees
Certain basic sweep movements (hip bump, scissor, flower)

Also don't forget about takedowns. Doing shots in the air is very helpful for form. Also any other throw you want to do is good to practice in the air.

Just remember it's not a substitute for training with a partner. It's just a supplement. But to that end, I think training on your own is just fine and in fact very useful. I do it personally, for what it's worth.

Exactly, all of what you said helped me. I wasn't able to sweep people before, then I practiced and visualized the techniques at home. A couple of weeks later, I went back to class I was sweeping people. The power of visualizaiton is great. Like shadowboxing except this is shadowgrappling. I think if it wasn't for shadowboxing I still wouldn't be able to slip punches. I'm not saying that drills with partners don't help. That's the main thing but shadow training helps.

Thanks guys for the comments. I was just looking for some help on things to work on,on my own since my work schedule is kinda hectic, getting off at odd hours in the night/morning.

Thanks again!

you can drill movements by yourself and that helps a lot, it did with me. also go over in your head the techniques that you have been working on, you game will skyrocket, guaranteed.

Stephan Kesting drills dvd! A lot of the drills are solo.... HTH

build(or buy) a grappling dummy, then u can drill subs/transitions/sweeps/espcapes. you obviously wont have a resisting opponent, but at least you can go through the motions.

Back