How to Open the Closed Guard

goatfury

Gold Belt
Platinum Member
Reaction score
Getting the guard open has to be one of the toughest things in all of jiu jitsu to accomplish. Think about all of the tools your opponent has at their disposal: posture-compromising attacks, chokes, armlocks, and even the constant threat of transitioning to an equally dangerous open guard. What follows are some simple adjustments you can make to get your partner's guard open much more easily, and then how to start passing right away. If you're a BJJ purple belt or higher, you might consider supplementing these lessons with a more advanced Tozi/Wilsontutorial. Meantime, let's really dig into what "posture" actually means.

https://howtheyplay.com/individual-sports/How-to-Open-the-Closed-Guard-in-BJJ

I find a hot iron or an electroshock very helpful when I explain how to maintain posture :)

Just fuckin dig right in there with the elbows man

might work in the gym against relaxed training partners and cause them some pain

but try that shit in a competition where the opponent has adrenaline rushing through them, that ain't going to work.

might work in the gym against relaxed training partners and cause them some pain
Actually, it's the opposite. This works best when legs are tensed up.

One of the easiest defenses against elbow digging is to put head down on the floor and relax the legs.

but try that shit in a competition where the opponent has adrenaline rushing through them, that ain't going to work.
Works in judo.

I thought it would be obvious I was joking

Sorry everybody :(

I've trained with amateur MMA guys with multiple fights, with good grappling skill. They could do all the fancy no gi shit - truck, twister, lockdown, spinning armbars, flying triangles, blah blah blah.

The only guard pass any of them knew or did was to dig with their elbows. They thought that if they punched someone in the face from closed guard, they would open their guard to try and make distance, and they could just smash the leg down with their elbow and pass to half guard.

Actually I know some pretty high level BB that use the elbows to break guard quite a bit.

There's a lot more to it than just "grind the elbows" though. There is a real technique to it. It takes some serious drilling and practice. But done properly, it's surprisingly effective.

"Never use your elbows to open guard" is on my personal BJJ half truth list. It's up there with stuff like "if you just keep coming you'll get better", "never cross your feet on an armbar", "you have to block both sides of the neck to get a blood choke", etc.

Oh man, a half truth MMA list would be money!

"Never start a combination with a kick."

"Never shoot a head outside single."

Oh man, a half truth MMA list would be money!

"Never start a combination with a kick."

"Never shoot a head outside single."

Just made one for BJJ actually.

Great minds think alike.

I usually try to stand to pass and break peoples guards open. I wish they had some sort of slam rule after you pick people up over a certain height haha. I open my guard and sweep when people do it to me, but so many people just keep their guard closed and hold on for dear life.

I really like the tozi pass and have the most trouble defending that when someone is good at it.

Getting the guard open has to be one of the toughest things in all of jiu jitsu to accomplish. Think about all of the tools your opponent has at their disposal: posture-compromising attacks, chokes, armlocks, and even the constant threat of transitioning to an equally dangerous open guard. What follows are some simple adjustments you can make to get your partner's guard open much more easily, and then how to start passing right away. If you're a BJJ purple belt or higher, you might consider supplementing these lessons with a more advanced Tozi/Wilsontutorial. Meantime, let's really dig into what "posture" actually means.

https://howtheyplay.com/individual-sports/How-to-Open-the-Closed-Guard-in-BJJ

Don't let them close their guard

/thread

I usually try to stand to pass and break peoples guards open. I wish they had some sort of slam rule after you pick people up over a certain height haha. I open my guard and sweep when people do it to me, but so many people just keep their guard closed and hold on for dear life.

I really like the tozi pass and have the most trouble defending that when someone is good at it.
I love the Tozi pass. It is my go-to closed guard opening.

Check that oil. Guaranteed to open that guard and make space.

Have you ever had a chance to watch the youtube videos where Tozi himself teaches the pass? They have been taken down now, but supposedly he taught a few variations. I wish I had come across them while they were still up.

In this page they are still embedded with the original video urls, but the footage is unavailable http://grapplingweekly.com/the-wilsontozisao-paolo-pass-revealed-2/
The same videos are referenced on many sites.

It's funny that the more people aren't aware of the Tozi pass. My gym doesn't teach it, and I'm pretty sure I'm the only one at my place who has even attempted it. I'm not that good at it yet, but my partners hate the shoulder pressure. If it weren't for Sherdog, I would not know what a Tozi pass is.

Back