How to not be a stationary target?

Practical Goat

Knowledge Seeker
@White
Reaction score
Hi guys,

My coach tells me I'm too still while on the pads. I've only just started sparring within the last month so want to have a good movement which isn't footwork related. Any advice? I've watched a lot of Joshua and he sort of raises and lowers his gloves in an unpredictable pattern.. thanks

Dont move your hands too much, but move your feet and upper body, the rhythym to your movement helps mask your offense and gives you a head start on your defense.

first piece of advice is to move. Second advice is to not watch Joshua for good movement.

Try watching Conor, great head movement.

Or for general movement advice, Ido Portal is a good one.

Hi guys,

My coach tells me I'm too still while on the pads. I've only just started sparring within the last month so want to have a good movement which isn't footwork related. Any advice? I've watched a lot of Joshua and he sort of raises and lowers his gloves in an unpredictable pattern.. thanks
Watch Floyd Mayweather jr and learn from the best

All about having good footwork, lateral movement, changing levels and giving different looks, throwing shots and spinning off,

In all seriousness, the best person to watch for movement is Dwight Muhammad Qawi. Guys like Floyd and Sweet Pea were athletically gifted and fast twitch, Qawi had some of the best mix of slipping, bobbing and punching and always keeping elusive through upper body movement.

Has he taught you to move (slip) your head with each punch? That should be built right into the punch mechanics

Try doing it exaggerated slowly and then tighten it up after you have the feel of it. Especially when going fast you want to tighten it up. You'll want to make all the movements tight and efficient if you ever want to get fast (they'll hold you back if not)

Whatever you're learning you want to do it slow until you know exactly what to do 1) so you and your coach can see/catch it and fix it better and 2) so you can feel the intricacies better while learning it. The truth is you'll always be learning how to tweak it to make it better but the less you know, the slower you need to practice it so you can smooth out the wrinkles. If something feels wrong, slow it down and observe (also have your coach observe) so it can be corrected/ tweaked to be more efficient.

Last edited:
Has he taught you to move (slip) your head with each punch? That should be built right into the punch mechanics

Try doing it exaggerated slowly and then tighten it up after you have the feel of it. Especially when going fast you want to tighten it up. You'll want to make all the movements tight and efficient if you ever want to get fast (they'll hold you back if not)

Whatever you're learning you want to do it slow until you know exactly what to do 1) so you and your coach can see/catch it and fix it better and 2) so you can feel the intricacies better while learning it. The truth is you'll always be learning how to tweak it to make it better but the less you know, the slower you need to practice it so you can smooth out the wrinkles. If something feels wrong, slow it down and observe (also have your coach observe) so it can be corrected/ tweaked to be more efficient.

Yeah, done quite a bit of slipping but it's quite an awkward movement for me. I see too much debate about whether to slip from the feet and turn or from the hips like Tyson.

I'm about to under go some minor shoulder surgery (just a shaving of the bone spurs) but I can't stand the thought of being sat still until I heal up so I want to practice some footwork and basic stance movements.

Yeah, done quite a bit of slipping but it's quite an awkward movement for me. I see too much debate about whether to slip from the feet and turn or from the hips like Tyson.

It's a whole body movement. That means both your feet AND your hips (and spine, and etc.)

Your problem is you are probably thinking in terms of isolating areas for movement (naw it shouldnt be like that). If you MUST focus on one, I guess start with your feet, because that's where it starts and is the most awkward part for a lot of people. But after that feels natural, your whole body should do it and it should feel like it's all simultaneous, without straining. It shouldnt need to be "forced", your whole body should work to make it feel fluid and help "get out of the way of" the movement, assisting and adding to it rather that fight the movement or be dead weight merely buoyed by it

Watch Canelo, not Joshua

Good point, Loma as well but that is a bit advanced and unorthodox.

Also study what Mikey Garcia does he has more subtle movement. And uses more distance and timing .

:meow: .

Back