How to increase the power of your punches?

BringBackTRTforFairness

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
Any tips or tricks? Or is it all genetic?

ElectricBrilliantAnura.gif

46085_o.gif

Last edited:
technique. The first gif, guy sat down on his punch and pivoted his whole body into that punch. Whereas the 2nd gif, he had clean shots but poor technique. No pivot and didn't sit down on the punch.

^^This. If you haven't maximized your technique, all the side weird training and strength exercises aren't going to do sh*t compable to how you should have just sharpened your technique like you were supposed to do. People always try to find ways of "getting around" it but they're really doing themselves a unspeakable disservice. They'll go on chasing weird alternate ways to 'generate power' when the best way was right under their nose (sharpen technique bit by bit over time) and them refusing to do it because it was too straight forward.

Most people miss what usually happens before the 'knockout' punch lands. That's the key.

Most people miss what usually happens before the 'knockout' punch lands. That's the key.
I agree. I ikke your videos

Honestly how to improve punch power is a little bit of a foolish question and more often then not it is actually the wrong question to ask.
There are people who naturally hit harder, and having harder punches can lead to ore KO's it is not as simple as that. Take Julian Jackson as an example he is a deadly puncher but he is also a master boxer who threw beautiful punches and still cast the touch of death on plenty a warrior. Than comes McCallum a fighter who hits hard but compared to Jackson does not have the KO reputation. McCallum comes along and destroys Jackson getting an early stoppage, but in the process make him look human. Point being
There is more nuance and pure punching power is not the most important piece, the old adage "timing beats speed, accuracy beats power" is correct. If you are already training and hitting the pads, bags and mitts, With some semblance of technique you should be able to KO somebody. This is where technique comes into play, Using your feet to place you in advantageous positions to blast somebody etc..
Thirdly every coach probably has some approach to improving punching power, seeing as that is what most people will seek them out for. SO every coach can teach you or attempt to teach you to hit harder but it still might not be what you are needing to learn to progress.

I think there's two things in play when you talk about people with natural power. The first is what everyone thinks about, which is just fast twitch muscle and overall strength, i.e. athleticism. The second is related, it's how naturally coordinated you are. Some people just naturally get more of their body into their punches right off the bat, they look pretty good throwing even when they're first learning.

There's not much you can do about #1, other than get in the best shape you're genetically capable of. But the second, which is more important IMO, is totally within your power to train. You can build coordination through repetition with proper technique, you just have to put in the work. And if you're in good shape and have worked for years with a good coach on throwing properly, you're going to have enough power to make people respect it, even if you don't have Tyson-esque power to sleep people with every shot. So don't get discouraged.

So yesterday I ate a really light flush but I did not see it coming whatsoever. The guy timed it perfectly as I slipped his feint. That punch almost KO'D me. Took me a second to regain composure and look at my opponent. If he continued to throw combos at me, I'd been dead cuz I wouldn't have been able to see those follow ups.

In short, it's the ones that you don't see that hurt the most.

I must reiterate how light that punch was. We always spar light and even though I didn't see it coming, it did 0 damage or at least I felt nothing but I still felt my soul leave my body. Legs were weak for half a second. It was a very scary feeling for half a split second.

Get a stronker glute.

Link the glute exertion to the end of your knuckle.

Last edited:
You can always build a gravitational room to build up your strength.

vegeta%2Bgravity.jpg

You can always build a gravitational room to build up your strength.

vegeta%2Bgravity.jpg
That manlet's a total can, couldn't take it that he couldn't compete with Goku, and that his kid had a natty H-bomb, so he took PEDs from some shady old midget and his fatass bodyguard.

After all that fancy gravity shit, the only thing he had to show was getting beaten by a bunch of blue newborns that cell jerked off too on the moment; And even Goku's kid with no fashion sense out performed him also.

Dunno why Bulma settled for that can.

After all that fancy gravity shit, the only thing he had to show was getting beaten by a bunch of blue newborns that cell jerked off too on the moment;

I think because he over trains.

lol, going into the fight of his life with absurd amount of lactic acid build up

That reminds me of Pavel Tsatsouline approach to conditioning where you focus more on the aerobic and alactic energy system.

Is there any correlation with having a high vertical jump and a strong punching power?

Is there any correlation with having a high vertical jump and a strong punching power?

Yes but its a weak correlation.

Punching is not like sprinting. I bet/am damn sure a high vertical leap strongly correlates with a fast sprint time.

Punching is different.

Last edited:
Back