How to improve muscular endurance for BJJ?

Discussion in 'Strength & Conditioning Discussion' started by Alzi_, Mar 28, 2006.

1. Alzi_ Orange Belt

Alzi_
    My one biggest weakness when I roll is that I gas quickly. Usually after 5 minutes my energy starts draining and after that I can only last another 5 at best. At times I get so tired I don't even have the strength to push the other guy off. I used to think its was due to poor cardio but my cardio has steadily improved from doing jiu-jitsu for the past few months yet I haven't gained a whole lot of endurance. So it occured to me that maybe a lack of strength is to blame for my muscle fatigue. Would it help my muscular endurance if I started lifting weights? I hate weightlifting and avoid it like the plague thinking the BJJ will be enough to improve my strength but if it would help I would definately do it. I'm can't train right now cause of an arm injury but in the meantime I'd like to do some exercises to increase my endurance.

2. Dawgie Banned

Dawgie
    Ask krazy horse

3. teal Yellow Belt

teal
    ya sounds like if you dont reverse in a few attempts your stuck there for the rest of the match :D if you hate lifting weights why not do other strength exercises in judo you do arm circles both forwards and backwards for about 5 mins in each direction also push ups chin ups lunge walking forward and backwards wall sits, as for stamina you can do sprints uphill walk down and sprint up again do squat jumps lots of fun things to do :p

4. Heavy Hitters Orange Belt

Heavy Hitters
    sprints are a great way to improve stamina, I would also suggest plyometrics

5. Clann Guest

Clann
    Your muscles are getting tired because they aren't used to functioning in a certain way. The best way to increase your cardio is actually rolling, rolling hard, and rolling alot.

You can do other things to help aid your cardio; like running, doing burpees, isometrics, plyometrics, sprints, etc.

You need to set up a schedule for when you're doing these things, rather then just doing it whenever you feel like it. For example, you could jog three times a week. You could do sprints twice a week and you need to make a weight training schedule (go to S&P).

Those are a few things that could help aid your cardio. Eating right will also be a plus. Only eat healthy foods... stop eating at Mc Donald's every day.

Good luck.

6. Alzi_ Orange Belt

Alzi_
    Thanks for all your advice. Yeah I figured my stamina will improve eventually as I keep rolling. In the meantime, I will use the elliptical to improve my cardio and add some plometrics later.

7. Stively Guest

Stively
    lifting weights will definitely improve your strength. one thing that you should focus on with weight training are large muscle movements that require most, if not all of your body such as powercleans, jerks, snatches etc. if you do not know these techniques, learn them from someone who is knowledgable. these movements will increase your stamina, power and core strength which is huge in jiu jitsu. as stated in the other replies, your cardio is very important as well. just sparring will do things for your lungs but gassers and sprint intervals will elevate your game as well. good luck.

***using and elliptical will only benefit ur cardio minimally. when doing cardio try to do something that involves your entire body such as running, or swimming.

8. Girljock Guest

Girljock
    Are you eating enough? Correctly? Cardio doesn't do squat if you don't have fuel in your body. I would also say...if it's muscular endurnace you want....hi reps might be a good friend.

9. anvar Guest

anvar
    get good sleep
    eat good food
    learn better technique (i.e. less muscle moves)
    ROLL MORE
    get stronger (if you don't have strength what are you enduring)
    if your already strong enough...start doing strength endurence sets in the weight room.

10. colinm Brown Belt

colinm
    roll roll roll! roll for timed rounds, with a fresh partner for each round if possible. roll at a higher pace...lazy man jiu jitsu is great for learning, but come competition time you need to pick it up.

increasing you limit strength will help also, of course.

11. triso Green Belt

triso
    My first tournament is coming up in the Grapplers Quest US Nationals in NJ.

I want to be sure I’m in shape cardio wise. I’m already strength training and rolling like a madman, but I’m bound and determined to start running again.

What is a good way to gain functional cardio for grappling besides rolling? I’ve read that jogging for 30seconds and then sprinting for 30seconds is a good method, but figured I’d verify it here.

12. Girljock Guest

Girljock
    I would think anything that simulates what you'll be doing. Short bursts...using muscels during that burst. ( I have a vision of a football sled in my mind, but not sure that applies) :) Can't go wrong with sprints though. Good luck.

13. adamantium Orange Belt

adamantium
    strenght; low reps high weight.
    endurance; do your sport.

thats how i like to keep things.

[edit] also HIIT and body weight exercises are good imo. Do bas ruttens workouts they are hardcore.

14. Mark Limbaga Amateur Fighter

Mark Limbaga
    Doing other routins may help improve your bjj cardio, but not totally. The only way to improve bjj cardio is by doing more bjj

15. anvar Guest

anvar
    if you look at the athletic shape of a pure BJJer who does not lift weights they are usually lean, compared to a sprinter who are usually buff. So i would say muscular endurance is huge in bjj, however, strength is key for endurance (if you don't have strength what are you enduring?).

16. Jaxx Green Belt

Jaxx
    Karl Gotch bible will do wonders for your conditioning.

17. I've recently started to train BJJ and find that after running gauntlets my body is dead. Not that I'm complaining right now since I am very new to the sport.

Where I train people tell me not to lift weights and that I don't want to add any muscle mass. I think that I should because I'm 5' 7" and like 135 the youngest and smallest person training at age 17. I would definitely like to gain a little bit more muscle but is that recommended or would I lose flexibility and other things?

18. colinm Brown Belt

colinm
    if you continue to stretch, you will not lose flexibility when you lift weights. granted, you need to lift weights the right way for an athlete: low reps, high weight, compound movements and don't forget to squat and deadlift. no bodybuilding bullshit i.e. arms day.

i think some bjjers have a lean build because of how they train: long rolling sessions of 30-60 minutes pretty much straight. that is totally different from what you're doing in competition. the truth is even some of the top guys have poor strength training, but their jiu jitsu is flawless and their technique makes up for it....but thats not to say good strength trainiing wouldn't help. given equal technique, the stronger, faster, better conditioned athlete wins. i know bjj is all about technique > strength, aggression etc., but that shouldnt be an excuse to be a poorly prepared athlete.

19. Alzi_ Orange Belt

Alzi_

Would high reps/moderate weight be good for improve muscle fatigue? I thought low reps/high weight is for building muscle mass.

20. squats deadlifts bench press and what else? i'm going to be working on all of these tonight and asking if i should have a certain diet plan. given the fact that i have very high metabolism and am only 17 i'm not sure if i should be eating certain foods yet or not.