How to hang heavy bag in garage?

mjfan12

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I have a 100lb banana bag and the only place I can hang it is in the garage. I have no basement. The bag has been sitting in my room for over a year, so I should hang it already.

The garage had wooden rafters on top going across below the roof where the door opener is mounted.

so my questions are will these rafters be strong enough to support the bag and also the extra impact from pounding on it?

Is so what type of mounting hardware do i need? and where can i find it?

If I cant hang it on the roof, what about the studs on the walls? Like the mounting thing that juts out from the wall. You bolt them to the studs.

Finally i can get a free standing hanger, but they are like 250. can i find one cheaper somewhere?

I have a six foot bag and the way I keep it up(!)is I have a heavy bag bracket(from Tao in the UK) which is much bigger/stronger than the cheap brackets you often find.I drilled 6 holes into the wall approx half to three quarter inch each WIDE and then used expanding wall bolts to hold it in place(available from hardware shop)drilled to about 3 inches deep that works fine for me.

My instructor uses a much larger bag than I do (each to their own) much heavier.He drilled all the way thru the wall and out other side,then he used the same type of bracket as I use and due to the size used large metal plates over the thread part of the 6 bolts going thru the wall and then bolted on the nuts.So it goes bolt,bracket,wall,metal washer/plate,nut.

He is an engineer and uses the washer/plates to spread the weight load rather than take a chance of the bolts tearing out the wall due to the weight of the bag..the weight of the bag is pulling on a much larger area than otherwise..

Any use?

Besides whats already been said you can use a basketball goal if you have one. Other than that whats already been said is the most ideal method.

This should hold it good to the rafters: http://store.titleboxing.com/hbh-1.html
The only problem I had was it shook my whole house when I hit the heavybag. The rafters should be strong enough to hold it.

If you can, I would use this: http://store.titleboxing.com/hbhdw.html
This is what I have now and it's way better. I have it mounted to cinder block wall in my basement. I'm not sure if you can find a way to mount it in your garage but I highly recommend this.

You were worried about the extra impact or weight when the bag is in use?I have a friend who has his bag on a strong spring which is then attached to his bracket.He claims that the industrial spring means that the bag does'nt drag the fixings out as the spring absorbs the impact and weight change.Don't know if he is right but it is still in his wall and hes pulled fixings out until he strated using this method.

I used a stud finder to locate the stud. I pre-drilled a whole and screwed in a huge eye-bolt. I also used a heavy spring that I bought at Title boxing. I beat the living shit out of that thing and it hasn't come out yet.

Originally I had placed my 100lb heavy bag in the middle of my garage, but even with several support boards the entire garage shook (a bit disconcerting when you strike and the ceiling moves). So, what I did was to move closer to a corner so it had two exterior walls for support. I hung it via the Everlast joist hanger, but also put 2 sister-boards next to it in order to absorb sideways energy transfer. It helped, but what really worked what getting the heavy bag spring from Title Boxing so now my heavy bad doesn't make the garage shake or threaten to collapse.

Back