How to get thicker neck to withstand punches?

black belch

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
In my muay thai academy, there are these dudes with thick necks, they are much less knocked out..

im wondering how to get that neck, and if there are steroids envolved?

There are neck strengthening exercises. Just google them, many you can do right on your living room floor with no equipment.

Wrestling and jiu jitsu help

The exercises of wrestling and jujitsu you mean. Though doing a little bit of grappling can help a little, the best way to do so is through specific exercises. You never hear how grappling will make you develop thick huge biceps for the same reason. You need to target the neck through specific exercises.

There's plenty of small guys with small necks in BJJ. Including my black belt coach.

But my Judo coach on the other hand does strength building excercises and he does have a thick neck.

The exercises of wrestling and jujitsu you mean. Though doing a little bit of grappling can help a little, the best way to do so is through specific exercises. You never hear how grappling will make you develop thick huge biceps for the same reason. You need to target the neck through specific exercises.

There's plenty of small guys with small necks in BJJ. Including my black belt coach.

But my Judo coach on the other hand does strength building excercises and he does have a thick neck.
Yeah, wrestling moreso than bjj, but all grappling can help a bit. My old wrestling coach was really big on those neck exercises.

Yeah, wrestling moreso than bjj, but all grappling can help a bit. My old wrestling coach was really big on those neck exercises.

Yes sir. Believe it or not OP. Your own head weighs enough to strengthen your neck.

Steroids are the fuel of sports.

The traps have the most testosterone receptors, so huge traps are usually due to steroids, neck growths as well.

get something like 12lb on your forehead and bring you chin to your chest, 10 reps X3 sets.. I do this and works great

When I started training MMA I noticed a crazy difference in neck strength when my coach made us start doing this between rounds
wrestlersbridgenohandsnew.jpg

May look stupid but trust me it works. Just do until you fail at least a couple times a session.

When I started training MMA I noticed a crazy difference in neck strength when my coach made us start doing this between rounds

May look stupid but trust me it works. Just do until you fail at least a couple times a session.
Neck bridges work. IIRC Tyson did them as well.

It's very easy to tweak your neck doing shit like this though. Just a word of caution.

It's very easy to tweak your neck doing shit like this though. Just a word of caution.
There's a progression to build up to it. Of course you don't jump straight into a full bridge, it starts out with using all limbs (hands to support), then partial bridges, etc

There's a progression to build up to it. Of course you don't jump straight into a full bridge, it starts out with using all limbs (hands to support), then partial bridges, etc

Like I said, a word of caution. Even doing it with the support of your hands it is easy to tweak your neck. Just looking out.

in Goju we do Sanchin while a black belt chops or forearm strikes our necks and shoulders

Like I said, a word of caution. Even doing it with the support of your hands it is easy to tweak your neck. Just looking out.

To me, exercises like that aren't worth risking the long term damage it' can cause on your neck... Anything related to your back, spine or neck is fragile and can't be replaced really, so I'd rather avoid those exercises or go a different, logical and safer route.

So, I definitely agree with you

I was like the only one who couldn´t do this though at that itme I was one of the more athletic guys, nowadays i´m wishing to buy this belt thing you put a weigh on and move your head up down while sitting, till then I´m laying on a bench on my back and just rotate my neck in one then the other direction then up down, I got a bih head and gravity helps me

The common method incorporated by Muay Thai fighters is using a rope attached to a weight wrapped in a towel which they bite onto and pull up, which also works the jaw muscles. Years of clinch work will also strengthen the neck.

I'd only recommend neck bridges if you're a wrestler, where being in that position can come in handy or if you lack equipment. Wrestlers don't have to worry about getting hit in the jaw so they can just isolate the neck; standup fighters don't have to worry about having their back on the ground for long periods, so there's an added benefit by utilizing a method that trains the jaw muscles as well.

I personally like the way Athlean-X (whether you like him or not) advises and this is coming from someone with multiple bulging discs

Back