How to gain weight and muscle back

OldTimer

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
Quick background:
Mid 50's, a shell of my former self.
I was never a "big guy" 5'8", 170 pounds but somewhat muscular.
Lost my job a couple years ago, had to resort to eating 1 big meal a day.
After I found employment again, 16 months later, I was down to 140 lbs.
I would like to get back to my former self, at least.

I know Eat, Eat, Eat and workout.
Eat anything and everything, right?
Workout, basic movements, bench press, squats, deadlifts, etc, correct?
One gram of protein for every pound of bodyweight, (or is it 1 gram of protein for every pound of bodyweight goal?)

Of course, fruit and veggies should be included in diet, although they don't help in weight gain, but for all round health.

Creatine too (?), although doesn't that help muscles absorb water, and if you quit creatine, don't you lose the benefits of taking it?

Looking for advice to get back the 30 lbs I lost, but keeping in mind my age, how long would it take?

Thanks in advance my friends

It's all eating and training.

The only shortcut is drinking your calories.

A weight gain beverage like shakes or ensure or beer on top of your big meals and hard training can help.

Quick background:

Maybe if you're a 19 year old long distance runner. I mean if you eat indiscriminately in your mid 50s you're going to put on those 30 pounds you lost but they probably won't look like the same 30 pounds you had before.

Get your hormones checked along with the rest of a full blood panel and checkup. Actually being healthy becomes a bigger part of maintaining muscle with every passing year.

The rest of the post shows that you basically have the right idea, find a good bodybuilding forum or hire a coach if you need too get more educated about the details. In my mind you don't have the time to spend years dialing in your program, gainz get harder and inuries get easier every year.

Quick background:
I was never a "big guy" 5'8", 170 pounds but somewhat muscular.
Lost my job a couple years ago, had to resort to eating 1 big meal a day.
After I found employment again, 16 months later, I was down to 140 lbs.
I would like to get back to my former self, at least.

Workout, basic movements, bench press, squats, deadlifts, etc, correct?
One gram of protein for every pound of bodyweight, (or is it 1 gram of protein for every pound of bodyweight goal?)

Of course, fruit and veggies should be included in diet, although they don't help in weight gain, but for all round health.

Creatine too (?), although doesn't that help muscles absorb water, and if you quit creatine, don't you lose the benefits of taking it?

Looking for advice to get back the 30 lbs I lost, but keeping in mind my age, how long would it take?

Thanks in advance my friends

1g per lb of bodyweight is appropriate, .7g per lb of bodyweight for maintence.

You could include fruits pre and/or post workout but veggies are a bit more important in my opinion. Just be cautious of broccoli, cauliflower, and peppers. They can cause digestion issues in a ton of people. Most of the time it's so minor it's just enough issue to make you not want to eat your next meal even though you don't feel any nausea or anything like that.

Creatine can help with recovery and the intramuscular water retention it causes can help with force production. It shouldn't be a world ending difference if you come off of it.

There's just no way to give you a time frame since we don't know how your body holds water, glycogen, fat, etc or how you respond to training and what not.

It's 1g per lb of goal weight. So if you want to be 180 lbs, 180g a day. If someone were 300 lbs and wanted to be 180 lbs, they'd eat 180g as well - not 300g.

At your age it's a lot harder to put muscle back on. That's why prevention of muscle loss is very important in older age. Even if it's just whey (very cheap per gram of protein, if poor), always make sure your protein is on point. If you did a lot of lifting in the past it's going to come back faster.

Just hit the gym and take optimum nutrition serious mass. Ive tried them all and this is my favorite.
Ashwagandha powder will boost your testosterone too and relieve stress.

Eggs, natural peanut butter, cheap meat fish, dairy if you can handle it. Olive oil coconut fat for cooking. Carbs, pasta, oats, potatoes. Fruits and veggies daily in moderstion. Whey shakes. Nuts seeds.

Source : I'm fat. Nah I'm not really fat but 6' 255.

I rather lose some of my weight

And sleep 7-9 a night. And weight training.

Just do it all regulary

Last edited:
Back