How to finally solve your conditioning problem

Wow this is a whole lot to take in but i'm definitely reading this thread continually. I do have a concern about my own conditioning. After a hard run toward the end I start to feel a pain in my chest pretty sure its like my HR is too high or something but is that something you can train out of or should I be consulting a Doctor?

Wow this is a whole lot to take in but i'm definitely reading this thread continually. I do have a concern about my own conditioning. After a hard run toward the end I start to feel a pain in my chest pretty sure its like my HR is too high or something but is that something you can train out of or should I be consulting a Doctor?

Chest pain is always something you should be taking seriously, which means involving a doctor. Peace of mind alone would be worth the cost.

I agree with the above poster!

However, if your doc gives you "dont run as long or push so much" sort of diagnosis insist on a stress test for more answers or piece of mind.

EZA,

Please do not be mad cause my question,

I want to lose weight and increase my cardio, I am 33, 6'0'', 231, what do you think about the INSANITY program, I am doing mma 2 times (1h,30min per class) per week, and go to the weight room 2 times (1h,30min per session) per week as well.

EZA,

Please do not be mad cause my question,

I want to lose weight and increase my cardio, I am 33, 6'0'', 231, what do you think about the INSANITY program, I am doing mma 2 times (1h,30min per class) per week, and go to the weight room 2 times (1h,30min per session) per week as well.

Joel generally doesn't think much of random high-intensity circuits

Based on the questions on the last couple pages of this thread, I'm assuming EZA unsubscribed a long time ago.

Hey, somewhere in this forum for a couple of years ago I found an excellent 10-20 min interval cardio workout for crosstrainer/running, cant find it now.

Could anyone recommend a specific interval schedule would be awsome! Cheers

how to make muscles oxidative instead glycolytic ?
maximum effort explosive movement for 7-10 seconds(no more no less) followed by 30 seconds rest(no more no less) for several sets. for example you could do explosive push ups just make sure you are doing them as explosivly as possible

Do you know what oxidative is ? glycolytic ?
slow muscle fibers, fast muscle fibers? acidification ...
No ?

So maybe better to read than write ???

Sure, I know about how the body is structured and the way it works. It's just that your question makes no sense.

You realise that ALL 3 energy systems lead to the same outcome, right? That outcome being production of ATP to be used by muscle cells as fuel in order to keep working.

Now, your body constantly uses all 3 of these energy systems. Whether a muscle is composed primarily of Type-1 or Type-2 fibres is irrelevant. You cannot change this fact.

Now, I believe what you wanted to know was whether it was possible to convert fast-twitch muscle fibres to slow-twitch muscle fibres. This is impossible. You cannot simply change the structure of certain tissues. This is similar to people thinking that it is possible to convert fat into muscle- it does not work that way.

However, through continued training and efforts, it is possible to enlarge your slow-twitch muscle fibres and strengthen them. You can find many of these methods in Joel's book. I'd get my copy and tell you the exact page number, but it's on the other side of the room, and I'm comfortable sitting here, so I'm afraid that's an impossibility.

Now, maybe you go do some reading, ask less retarded questions, and quit being a condescending douche nozzle.

Sure, I know about how the body is structured and the way it works. It's just that your question makes no sense.

You realise that ALL 3 energy systems lead to the same outcome, right? That outcome being production of ATP to be used by muscle cells as fuel in order to keep working.

Now, your body constantly uses all 3 of these energy systems. Whether a muscle is composed primarily of Type-1 or Type-2 fibres is irrelevant. You cannot change this fact.

Now, I believe what you wanted to know was whether it was possible to convert fast-twitch muscle fibres to slow-twitch muscle fibres. This is impossible. You cannot simply change the structure of certain tissues. This is similar to people thinking that it is possible to convert fat into muscle- it does not work that way.

However, through continued training and efforts, it is possible to enlarge your slow-twitch muscle fibres and strengthen them. You can find many of these methods in Joel's book. I'd get my copy and tell you the exact page number, but it's on the other side of the room, and I'm comfortable sitting here, so I'm afraid that's an impossibility.

Now, maybe you go do some reading, ask less retarded questions, and quit being a condescending douche nozzle.

alot of what you said is only partially true and a good bit of it is just plain wrong.

You can infact make fast twitch fibers more oxidative by using the method i described above.

alot of what you said is only partially true and a good bit of it is just plain wrong.

You can infact make fast twitch fibers more oxidative by using the method i described above.

Yes, much of it is over-simplified.

Changing characteristics of a muscle fibre (such as increased endurance in Type-II fibres) does not mean you are changing the actual type of it. I already said this.

You can also increase hypertrophy of Type-1 muscle fibers via methods such as tempo lifting (as described on page 39 of Ultimate MMA Conditioning).

I believe the method you described is called "Aerobic Plyometrics". Simply put, this is designed to increase the aerobic abilities of fast twitch fibers. However, this does not mean that it becomes slow-twitch.

Also, what you said about using "maximum intensity" was incorrect- as Joel writes;

First, because aerobic plyometrics are meant to be done for a relatively long duration, you have to use relatively low intensity. Whereas plyometrics can be very effective in increasing max strength and explosive power, the aerobic plyometric method uses plyometrics to improve explosive endurance so they must be done with this goal in mind.

So, in order to preserve the ability to which you are able to perform the exercise, no, it should not be performed as explosively as possible.

There are many methods of improving aerobic power and capacity, but you cannot change the fact that all 3 energy systems are used to varying degrees during different tasks. It's merely that one energy system is more dominant than others. So, making muscles rely solely on oxidative pathways and not on glycolytic pathways is absurd.

I'm going to believe the sciency guy.

Back