How to distinguish a HCK Double Weave with Single Weave?

RuDOWN4It

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
I bought a HCK double weave on Ebay, and I was wondering how can I actually make sure it's a double weave? Would it say anywhere on the gi? Thanks.

Weight obviously but if you don't have 2 HCKs it might be hard to tell, as the HCK single is heavier than other singles. I think the color of the embroidery on the sleeve shows. I had a blue standard single and blue comp single. The letters were red on the standard, and gold on the comp single. But the comp single was a bit heavier and much softer and more comfortable than the sand paper-like standard. The unbleached standard single has brown letters, the white absolute has black letters.

I've seen white HCKs with green letters, and one with blue. I'd guess that one of them is a single and one a double but I'm not sure which is which. I was watching an HCK on ebay today, too. The guy said it was a double but the pics showed an unbleached single(only the single can be unbleached). The letters were brown, and next to a white belt appeared to be darker. Hope this helps, buddy.

This one:HOWARD KIMONOS MMA BJJ GI!! HIGH RETAIL AND HEAVY DUTY! - eBay (item 140379978390 end time Feb-06-10 19:46:52 PST)

I would like to see some pictures as well. I asked Howard to post some detailed pictures of the double or the absolute on his twitter account, but I am not holding my breath.

I tried a size 5 HCK on from a guy in the gym and there is no way that gi will fit my size. 6 feet and 163lbs. The sleeves were way too short.

I ve been eyeing a double or an absolute for quite some time, but I just can't bring myself to spend that kind of money, considering I have 7 gis already.

If anybody has any info on this, please post it. I am also curious if the double or absolute shrink any less than their single weave models?

Atama told me that gold weave shrunk the most and double the least.

Here is picture of my Atama double weave weave
DSC04374.jpg

Pic of Sfjam Noris double weave
DSC04083.jpg

Ki International single weave pic
DSC04086.jpg

I think that weight and feel are going to be the main thing in comparing the single to the double. Sometimes it is hard to distinguish them purely on looks.

Weight obviously but if you don't have 2 HCKs it might be hard to tell, as the HCK single is heavier than other singles. I think the color of the embroidery on the sleeve shows. I had a blue standard single and blue comp single. The letters were red on the standard, and gold on the comp single. But the comp single was a bit heavier and much softer and more comfortable than the sand paper-like standard. The unbleached standard single has brown letters, the white absolute has black letters.

I've seen white HCKs with green letters, and one with blue. I'd guess that one of them is a single and one a double but I'm not sure which is which. I was watching an HCK on ebay today, too. The guy said it was a double but the pics showed an unbleached single(only the single can be unbleached). The letters were brown, and next to a white belt appeared to be darker. Hope this helps, buddy.

This one:HOWARD KIMONOS MMA BJJ GI!! HIGH RETAIL AND HEAVY DUTY! - eBay (item 140379978390 end time Feb-06-10 19:46:52 PST)

Thanks so much for your answer. Actually that's the auction I won. Obviously if the gi is not what he claimed it was, I don't want to pay the money for it. I messaged him but he hasn't responded. I'll wait and see I guess.

The gi looks just like this one:
9254.jpg

It's kind of hard to tell from the budovids pic but the letters on the left arm are brown, just like in the auction. The white belt right next to the gi was a giveaway to me. I could take a pic of my unbleached single next to a white belt, if you want.

I just received an HCK double weave in white. THe letters on the arm are RED colored. So I guess the white single and the white comp single are green and blue. THe auction was definitely for an unbleached single weave. Comparing it to my single weave, there wasn't a very noticeable difference in the weight, only the stiffness and dense feeling of the double. THe double also felt smoother on the inside than the single.

Thanks Bolo for the update. How do you like your double so far?

I got this email from Howard from HCK, and he said:

Standard Single Unbleached - brown embroidery
Standard Single White - green embroidery
Standard Single Blue - red embroidery
Competition Single White - blue embroidery
Competition Single Blue - yellow embroidery
Competition Double White - red embroidery
Comeptition Double Blue - white emdroidery
Absolute - black embroidery

So you were absolutely right in that the gi in the auction was a standard unbleached single. The seller relisted the auction and it only sold for $37.

bump. double and comp single are on ebay if you're interested.

Just saw this thread, and that's a really sharp looking gi you got, clean and simple. Hope you get good money out of it bro.

Back