How to Develop Martial Arts Hand Speed

here's a post from space potatoe a few years back. Talks and shows Fedor using the weights for shadowboxing...someone better tell him to stop before he hurts himself.

http://www.sherdog.net/forums/showthread.php?t=275184

Again, your arguement of "that's the way it has always been done" is pretty worthless. I take that you haven't had any luck proving that you are capable of suspending the laws of physics????
Get back to me when you are capable of mounting a rational, logical & provable point (you know something besides NUH UH & that's the way everyone else does it :rolleyes: ).
Here, I'll help start you in the right direction-
www.google.com
www.yahoo.com
www.msn.com
Those are called "search engines" and if you type something into them you can actually learn about a subject instead of trying to pass off your erroneous opinion as a fact.
I'll wait while you educate yourself on the topic.

Again, your arguement of "that's the way it has always been done" is pretty worthless. I take that you haven't had any luck proving that you are capable of suspending the laws of physics????
Get back to me when you are capable of mounting a rational, logical & provable point (you know something besides NUH UH & that's the way everyone else does it :rolleyes: ).
Here, I'll help start you in the right direction-
www.google.com
www.yahoo.com
www.msn.com
Those are called "search engines" and if you type something into them you can actually learn about a subject instead of trying to pass off your erroneous opinion as a fact.
I'll wait while you educate yourself on the topic.
Wow, your post's reak of stupidity. You really add to ignorance of this forum. You CLEARLY dont know shit about mma, which is why all you have done is refute something I say while providing nothing yourself. Stick to fencing and tma. Perhaps you can explain WHY MOST MMA FIGHTERS USE DUMBBELLS YOU DUMBASS? Are they suspending the "laws of physics? Are there arms falling off from shadowing with 2lb dumbbells? Why would I need to prove anything? I provided links of fighters that use them so I suppose your quarrel is with them as well. It's annoying when you kung fu trolls get on here with your ignorant bullshit.

A quick check of your post history shows you claim to have 25 yrs of kunf fu experience as well as fencing. You say you are in your 50's, yet you are posting all over the standup and K1 forums with your ignorant opinions. You are a trolling for attention. This is my last post to in regards to you because you are dragging on and on with bullshit. Stop trying to act like an ignorant internet bully. You clearly offer nothing at all to theese forums. Trolls like you come and go all the time. Now act your age and I mean it old man.

Wow, your post's reak of stupidity. You really add to ignorance of this forum. You CLEARLY dont know shit about mma, which is why all you have done is refute something I say while providing nothing yourself. Stick to fencing and tma. Perhaps you can explain WHY MOST MMA FIGHTERS USE DUMBBELLS YOU DUMBASS? Are they suspending the "laws of physics? Are there arms falling off from shadowing with 2lb dumbbells? Why would I need to prove anything? I provided links of fighters that use them so I suppose your quarrel is with them as well. It's annoying when you kung fu trolls get on here with your ignorant bullshit.

A quick check of your post history shows you claim to have 25 yrs of kunf fu experience as well as fencing. You say you are in your 50's, yet you are posting all over the standup and K1 forums with your ignorant opinions. You are a trolling for attention. This is my last post to in regards to you because you are dragging on and on with bullshit. Stop trying to act like an ignorant internet bully. You clearly offer nothing at all to theese forums. Trolls like you come and go all the time. Now act your age and I mean it old man.

Damn, this is some hot ish. Poor old man, your probably arguing with Bolo Yeung or something, that would kick...

Remarkable how you dumbass children try to pretend you're something you're not on the internet. You better be careful or mommy & daddy will take away your internet priveleges.
You continue to babble on and yet you are still incapable of backing up your self contrdictory claims. I'll help you again since I am always willing to help those with limited mental ability.
www.physicsclassroom.com/Class/newtlaws/newtltoc.html
http://sportsmedecine.about.com/od/anatomyandphysiology/Anatomy_and_physiology.htm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Classical_mechanics
So exactly which one of the Laws of Motion are you trying to say doesn't exist???????
What part of Physics are you claiming is wrong? Momentum? Kinetic energy? Force? Mechanics? Leverage?
What part of Biomechanics are you claiming is wrong?
You made the claim that there is no chance for injury when shadow boxing with weights (up to 10# originally but you have since lowered that amount) and yet I have provided you with the FACTS NUMEROUS times and all you can do is whimper NUH UH & everyone else does it. While these might be considered good rebuttals in your 10th grade (it appears that is where you're at by your general lack of knowledge) classes it doesn't cut it in the real world where us adults require actual proof (you know, the stuff I keep providing for you to learn from).
Ball is in your court little boy, either refute the laws of physics & biomechanics or tuck your tail between your legs and run away like the little child you are.
BTW- I eagerly await you banning me like you threatened (I didn't realize that they let 16 year olds do that here) in yet another of your pathetic whimpering PM's. :rolleyes:

I read about this guy from 'DownUnder' that trains people to anticipate so it looks like a fast reaction time. he does this with all sports.

Saying that every single boxer uses weights for shadow boxing is a pretty big exaggeration. There are dudes who don't and dudes who do.

Meh. Everyone's different. To each his own

When there's clearly evidence to support both sides of an argument - you just have to pick what works best for you

Technique > All things, including speed

What good is technique if you're gassing two minutes into the first round? If there's one thing I've learned it's that conditioning takes a big part of the proverbial cake.

good technique is essential to relax and save energy, in order to maximize conditioning. conditioning means nothing when you have to use every bit of your strength to throw a 1-2.

so practice, practice, practice. there is absolutely no substitute for it.

Hand speed is overrated if against a well trained Thai fighter or mma fighter. Hand speed is useless if you can be walked down and taken apart. People should learn about technique and the speed will follow.

its really not that simple.....there are different punching styles that will almost always beat one another.....its like rock paper scissors, power>speed>technique>power, the power fighter WILL bomb through the speed fighter, the speed fighter will tear apart the technical fighter, the technical fighter will wait for the power fighter to throw and counter and wait for opportunities to fire back, of course there are hybrid fighters who are good in all aspects

Um...so when we talk "shadowboxing with dumbells" are we talking like...not going full-force/full-speed or really kinda "focusing on technique" and going like...60% speed or something...? Or straight up going all-out and punching full-force?

B/c I'm reading y'alls argument here and both make sense...sometimes empirical evidence (as seen in the many many generations of boxing gyms using dumbells) is good enough for me, sometimes it's not and good hard facts from exercise physiologists will do it for me...it all depends on the situation and using common sense...

For every argument there's plenty of decent, rational, yet incorrect thing...for example, "Well every boxer has done it forever and it's worked fine for them" sounds pretty good, but at the same time...for a long time, people believed the world was flat, the earth was the center of the universe, and all that jazz...all b/c we used what our senses could tell us to describe a situation and nothing more...just playing the devil's advocate here...

That said, I think you guys are arguing about apples and oranges...I honestly don't think anybody in the right mind would shadowbox full-force using a dumbell that's like 5 lbs...maybe I'm wrong because I don't train at a boxing gym and I've never experienced it myself, but my own frame of reference really kinda keeps me from doing that out of fear of injury; maybe I should try it to see if it improves my hands, I dunno........although I CAN imagine lightly shadow-boxing with heavier weights to indeed build up endurance and strength and whatnot...

It's kinda like wearing a weight-vest or something...it's just another tool in the tool-box...you're not going to straight up train all the time wearing one using the logic "Oh, if I can carry around THIS much weight, imagine my performance when I'm NOT wearing it"...it's hell on your lower back, hell on your knees, hell on your ankles, etc...but there IS a time/place for properly using them...

Ok, maybe I'm just rambling here...I'm just tired of seeing this dick measuring contest...

can any one answer his questins and stop the argumenst of who is smarter

A good way to build hand speed is pretty simple. There are weighted gloves, or you can use regular ol' boxing gloves. There's also the speed bag, which in conjuction will build your coordination and timing.

There's no miracle workout though, it will take time.

Lots of shadow boxing...throw the 1-2, throw the 1-2-3, punch-punch-punch.

Hand speed comes from muscle memory, otherwise you're just punching. Get your body used to the rhythm and combos by shadow boxing in the mirror and while running and then apply your "natural shadow boxing" to bag and mitt workouts and you'll notice you throw without even thinking. Weights/weighted gloves...not necessary.

The key to fast hands is relaxation. Tight muscle is slow muscle.
So true.
And tight muscle = tired muscle very quickly.

Holding weights as you shadow box is something that sort of makes sense to everybody at first. You think, why not? More resistance means my muscles are getting stronger right? And when I put the weights down, I should be more powerful and I do FEEL it when I try it myself.

But at the moment I'm leaning towards the "don't do it" crowd.

1) 2-3 lbs might be ok, but 5+ might be rather detrimental because you're putting unnecessary pressure on your joints and your muscles are getting used to moving with this extra weight that won't be there when you fight. Might throw off the overall balance of things.

2) It certainly feels faster when you put down the weights but i don't think you're actually faster than you were before. Some people are saying it might actually make you slower because your muscles adapt to moving at that speed. Of course nobody trains 100% with weights in their hand but if a study were done i think the guys who practiced without weights would be much faster.

But using a weight that's not too heavy for you could be beneficial if only for the strengthening of your muscles. But I don't think it would make you any faster.

Work on core speed. If you can hit 25 times per second while rotating your body back and forth you should give Dana White a call and ask him to put you up against Silva.

Back