How to Develop Martial Arts Hand Speed

Discussion in 'Standup Technique' started by JimMayor007, Jun 27, 2007.

1. JimMayor007 White Belt

JimMayor007
    What makes a martial artist fast? Are they really that fast? Or is there something else that makes them appear fast?

Any trained martial artist will tell you that knowing your opponent is more important than the speed of your attacks. If you already know what your opponent is going to do, then you can react before they fully initiate their move. This will make you appear to possess lighting fast speed.

Guide to Develop Martial Arts Hand Speed

2. Hand-Of-Fate Yellow Belt

Hand-Of-Fate
    As for the guys who claim to hit 25 times a second...

As a former Kenpo Student (1st Degree Blackbelt), I can tell you...they hit fast, but not hard. Useless imo.

3. jamison Brown Belt

jamison
    Hand speed is overrated if against a well trained Thai fighter or mma fighter. Hand speed is useless if you can be walked down and taken apart. People should learn about technique and the speed will follow.

4. jamison Brown Belt

jamison

5. philong Orange Belt

philong
    You will never to be able to develop speed that is faster than the innate ability that you are preprogramed with genetically. Some people are born with faster speed / reflexes and some aren't.
    You can train yourself to maximize what you are innately capable of through training. Muscle memory and your nerve synapses can be maximized through repetition. As mentioned knowing your oponent (which is why I've cross trained in so many different styles) lets you predict what he'll do and intercept it, thereby giving the appearence of faster speed. Guard position helps. If your guard is in the correct position you will have to move minimally to counter an attack that has to travel a longer distance, if I only have to move 4" to deflect your strike that has to travel 30" I can react much slower and still be "faster". Deception helps, if I fake a low strike and then go high and my oponent hesitates deciding what to defend I will be "faster". Distance plays a role, if I am 4" out of range my oponent has to make a partial move to get within range before he can strike me. If I attack as soon as he makes this move he is in range and has not yet started his attack so I am "faster".
    These, and a lot of other variables, go into "speed" and not just the ability that you are limited to by genetics.

6. Anurux White Belt

Anurux
    maybe he's punchin clown at that speed?! :eek:

7. jamison Brown Belt

jamison
    Hand speed in MMA is extremely OVERRATED. What is more important is REACTION SPEED and that is mental. Here's a drill to my prove my point. pick a partner and grab a pair of mitts (focus mitts), Work some quick hand drills with your partner to warm up, then tell him your going to thow combinations at him (with the mitts on) relentlessly, and he can only strike back with the appropriate punch when you're done hitting him.
    EXAMPLE. Your partner covers up having know idea what you're about to throw. You throw a 2,3,1,2, 3 (cross, hook, jab, cross, hook) or any combination you want. as soon as your done, hold out the proper pad's for him to throw a 3,2, back at you, or any other combination, he wont know what he has to thorw untill you hold out the pads. If he is not well trained, you will see it take's them upwards of a second or more (a long time for reaction) to go from uncovering to striking back. This is much more important than hand speed. Hope this makes sense.

8. skippyzippyjoe Yellow Belt

skippyzippyjoe
    Stick fighting like that in many Filipino martial art systems greatly improves reaction time and hand speed.

9. Gungnir Blue Belt

Gungnir
    Technique > All things, including speed

Fast is good but power is necessary. Best way to develop speed is punching speedily. First thing to know about learning to do something is to do it.

10. fennway4414 Hepatitis squirt gun

fennway4414

I wouldn't say hand speed is overrated, but I would DEFINETLY say that reaction speed is underrated. Hand speed can't hurt to have, but reaction speed is far more important.

11. zeroek Guest

zeroek
    I seriously took notes from this Thread. Thanks guys. Jamison I like your ideas.

12. younggunz working it on out

younggunz
    look at how baseball players get their batspeed quicker

Fast twitch neuromuscular reactivity training

Want faster hands -throw faster punches
    Use lighter gloves in training, and practice throwing as quick as you can.
    THEN, switch gloves and practice throwing harder shots
    there is a huge misconception that heavier gloves will enable you to throw faster when you drop down to a lighter glove; what actually happens is that you are able to throw the same amount of punches at the same speed, just with greater endurance...

Basically, do exercises that emphasize explosive movements (complex explosive movements) and train your body to throw quicker.

13. kku919 Yellow Belt

kku919
    Whats helps me with my hand speed is shadow boxing with 10 pound weights, this increase speed and power, and for the person who says hand speed is overrated its NOT, it great for counter punching

14. aries Red Belt

aries
    A point I'd like to bring up: the average punch for a decent boxer takes 100 to 150ms from start of the elbow extension to the moment of impact. Now for anyone who doesn't know the average reaction time is between 200 and 270ms. For someone very fast it could be as low as 150ms. It doesn't take a genius to see that once a punch thrown by said 'decent' boxer has been initiated, no human can react in time to defend it.

So there must be other mechanisms at work when someone defends a punch in these circumstances (i.e. two good fighters). Most likely what seems to happen is that a good fighter will see the telegraph of the punch before the actual start of the punch proper. So it would seem that being able to appear fast would have more to do with reducing the telegraphing movements than speeding up the actual punch. And the converse would be true. To increase your success at defending, it would be important to spot the telegraphs. That would give the appearance of faster reactions where actually you are just seeing the movement earlier and increasing the reaction time available to defend.

Faster reactions and faster hands will definitely give you an advantage but reducing telegraph movements and the ability to read your opponent better are important points to consider.

15. shogunrush Blue Belt

shogunrush
    Agreed. That's the way I do it. Using smaller weights to develop speed is good, but it also develops 'punching stamina' as well as power. By 'punching stamina' i mean shadowboxing with the weights simulates arm fatigue.hand speed is as important as any other aspect of striking, some fighters who are slower may make up the difference by excelling in other aspects tho; accuracy, power, or efficiency, for example, could help even the odds against a quicker opponent.

16. jamison Brown Belt

jamison
    READ, in mma it IS overrated, NOT USELESS but overrated. Let me explain for you, rarely in MMA does a fighter win just base in hand speed. In boxing this is common. Hand speed is much more important in boxing than in MMA.

As for the shadowboxing with the dumbbells. EVERYONE should be doing this, it boxing 101. It improves hand speed more than any single excersise I know and every pro boxer does this, every one. This is as standard as jumping rope or road work. However, the fact you use 10lb dumbells is amazing. Most use 2 or 5 lbs. Even Holyfield uses 5lbs. I have never seen someone use above 10lbs. I prefer the 2 or the 5 and I have pretty large arms. I can't imagine punching with proper form using 10lbs weights, but if you can thats awsome. This is the best excersize for building up your shoulders and hand speed. Most people will do "reaches" first and then shadowbox. I try to daily do 10 minutes of reaches and 10 min of shadow with the weights.

17. Idontpunchwalls Green Belt

Idontpunchwalls
    What exactly are "reaches". i ve never heard that term. its probably something i already do lol

18. younggunz working it on out

younggunz
    good point..

just like poker..you can have a great hand but lose because of your tell.

19. ssssmashing Purple Belt

ssssmashing
    The key to fast hands is relaxation. Tight muscle is slow muscle.

Oh and DO NOT EVER SHADOW BOX WITH WEIGHTS unless you do it very, very slow. Otherwise you will end up having to get your shoulders rebuilt like me.

20. jamison Brown Belt

jamison
    Um, BULLSHIT. That is unfortunate that this may have damaged you mate, but I have never heard of a boxing gym that did not use dumbells with their fighters. All pro boxers use the weights for shadow and reaches. oscar swears by them.