How to decrease boxing weight classes

10000 Days

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
Currently, we have 18 boxing weight classes, with uneven increments between weight classes. 3 or 4 lbs for lighter weight classes, 7-8 lbs from light welter up, and a 25 pound diff from light heavyweight to cruiser.

I thought what if we have an exponential difference between weight classes as it goes up, as well as decreasing the number of divisions, as to validate claims that they are champs in "multiple weight classes"?

Limits and increase in weight:

105 lbs - Minimumweight
110 lbs - Flyweight (+5)
116 lbs - Bantamweight (+6)
123 lbs - Featherweight (+7)
131 lbs - Lightweight (+8)
140 lbs - Light Welterweight (+9)
150 lbs - Welterweight (+10)
161 lbs - Super Welterweight (+11)
173 lbs - Middleweight (+12)
186 lbs - Light Heavyweight (+13)
200 lbs - Cruiserweight (+14)
Beyond 200 - Heavyweight

Yes, I did classify Welterweight in 3 different levels, just because of how the word "welter" is defined.

If it sounds stupid, sorry for wasting your time. It's just a slow day in my office.

Currently, we have 18 boxing weight classes, with uneven increments between weight classes. 3 or 4 lbs for lighter weight classes, 7-8 lbs from light welter up, and a 25 pound diff from light heavyweight to cruiser.

I thought what if we have an exponential difference between weight classes as it goes up, as well as decreasing the number of divisions, as to validate claims that they are champs in "multiple weight classes"?

Limits and increase in weight:

105 lbs - Minimumweight
110 lbs - Flyweight (+5)
116 lbs - Bantamweight (+6)
123 lbs - Featherweight (+7)
131 lbs - Lightweight (+8)
140 lbs - Light Welterweight (+9)
150 lbs - Welterweight (+10)
161 lbs - Super Welterweight (+11)
173 lbs - Middleweight (+12)
186 lbs - Light Heavyweight (+13)
200 lbs - Cruiserweight (+14)
Beyond 200 - Heavyweight

Yes, I did classify Welterweight in 3 different levels, just because of how the word "welter" is defined.

If it sounds stupid, sorry for wasting your time. It's just a slow day in my office.
You realize the real reason we ended up with so many weight classes is money... we're you here when we were all complaining about them trying to add a super heavyweight class? it's still in the works too.

You realize the real reason we ended up with so many weight classes is money... we're you here when we were all complaining about them trying to add a super heavyweight class? it's still in the works too.
Let’s get back on topic, this secretary. Out of 10?

If he misses her already even though she'll be back in a few days, I assume she's at least a 7 or 8.

Sorry to be a pain, but that is not an exponential increase through the weight classes.

pains me. my bad.

sometimes you just hear a word, and think that might be the meaning for it. just like how there are words that you only read, and you hear it differently and not expect it to be how it's supposed to be pronounced.

F8B65254-0319-4478-BB95-1CDBEF3C92F0.png If you are bored at work, try plotting your weight classes against the existing weight classes on a graph - the existing classes will look more like an exponential curve, i.e. something like this

View attachment 317379 If you are bored at work, try plotting your weight classes against the existing weight classes on a graph - the existing classes will look more like an exponential curve, i.e. something like this

I see. Well I'll be heading home in a few, but I'll check it out when I get home. Interesting graph there.

I see. Well I'll be heading home in a few, but I'll check it out when I get home. Interesting graph there.
If you’re at work by yourself just log in as other people and set their backgrounds to pr0n

Lets just make every pound its own weight class, 100-300, and while we are at it make the IBO an official world title, so in total there will be 1000 champions not counting the ring.

Take % differences and you'll see that many of the differences in weight classes at the smaller weights is proportionately smaller than the % differences between the bigger weight classes. That's unfair and quite a sham.

112 to 115 = 2.67%
175 to 200 = 14%
How messed up is that?!
140 to 147 = 5%

maybe get rid of the two lightest classes, light minimum and minimum (102lb and 105lb) to get it back to 16 classes? how many guys are in those divisions anyway and how many people follow them?
or align pros with the 10 amateur classes?

Back