How to deal with anxiety-induced sleep deprivation?

A weighted blanket. Sounds weird, but that shit works for me.

I go to sleep by shutting my eyes and not thinking about stupid shit.

Watch TV or video while lying comfortably and still in a cool environment. Eventually your eyes will have a hard time staying open, especially if you think to yourself you're just closing your eyes to rest them. Of course don't be thinking about anything. Breathe slowly too.

Thanks for the responses all!

This level of sleep isn't typical for me - I usually get about 5-7 hours a night - so I've been trying to readjust going from crazy back to "normal". I'm not sure if I've ever gotten "great" sleep though despite the okay quantities, so I'll look into the weighted blanket and try to get into a legit meditation routine. I've tried meditating before bed but I've just never gotten into the habit of doing it regularly

This level of sleep isn't typical for me - I usually get about 5-7 hours a night - so I've been trying to readjust going from crazy back to "normal". I'm not sure if I've ever gotten "great" sleep though despite the okay quantities, so I'll look into the weighted blanket and try to get into a legit meditation routine. I've tried meditating before bed but I've just never gotten into the habit of doing it regularly
That's why I said amphetamines. You won't sleep the first night but after that you will sleep like a baby for more than 10h :D maybe it will help you somehow.

I use Magnesium Glycinate. It reduces anxiety, helps me sleep and reduces the spasm in back and legs.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07G2NLKR3/ref=twister_B00TJDW9RG?_encoding=UTF8&th=1

You still have to follow other good sleep hygiene tips like
jcc3508 has in post #23.

I have used CBD oil in the past and it has helped as well.

If I really have to sleep and am not tired I take
Melatonin
Magnesium Glycinate
Allergy pill Cetrizine (generic zyrtec)

https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/ma...NvbS8&guce_referrer_cs=GOewrUDXeKyTI_D17cp7Bw

I had that for a few years in my 20's, that feeling of being worried about sleeping incase you dont wake up. And then the effect this had on daily life, torture.

I was lucky that I got back into a sport that I love and I'm always working on improving. The regular exercise along with the focus does the trick.

These things are phases and are different for all people. I strongly urge people to stay away from any substances to try and fix it

Try the app Headspace. It was recommended by one of the members here as well. I made a thread about anxiety a couple of years back and maybe you'll find some responses there useful.

http://forums.sherdog.com/threads/social-anxiety-general-anxiety-thread.3120053/

I must be lucky because my anxiety just makes me want to sleep so I can wake up and have another go at not being a miserable fuck

If you can try weighted blankets - they are a bit pricey but have helped as well.

I never heard of it until your post. I googled it and now I'm thinking of trying it.

You need some prescription sleep meds.

Last year I had repeated nights where I was choking laying in bed, but only when I was trying to sleep. No other time. I thought I was losing my friggin mind. As luck would have it I was doing something called neuro feedback for the concussions issues I'm dealing with and I mentioned how I was having these breathing problems when I wanted to sleep.

The neuro practitioner suggested something for me called "heart rate variability" which is a form of bio feedback.

If you're not aware of it, heart rate variability is a form of diaphragmatic breathing that will calm you right down. Breathing through your nose and out through your nose. Start from the pelvis and let the oxygen roll up into your chest. There is an app you can get called "Paced Breathing" that can assist with this process at first. You breathing along with the app. I would probably recommend doing a 4 second in, 4 second out, wait for 2 seconds then repeat. If you are on the smaller side then 3 in/3 out/ 2 rest. You may want to play around with the times, but the first option will put me in a zen state in a matter of a minute or two. Keep your eyes closed will be even a more calming effect than eyes open.

Heart rate variability breathing is your friend.

You can do it before bed, in your car, standing in line. Anywhere.

At the clinic I was at, I was hooked up to a device where I could see my heart rate (it was stressed) and the monitor showed after a brief period where I should be at to be in a calm state. Within two minutes I was there. It helps me in all sorts of situations to get back on track. The best part is nobody knows when I'm doing it.

If you try doing this for maybe 5-10 minutes, you may feel less anxious and calm before bed. It is very relaxing and best of all free.

Back