How to cover up with MMA gloves?

JustOnce

On Hiatus
Double Yellow Card
Reaction score
If you are backed into a cage, or a corner or whatever, and you had to cover up, how do you do it?

Do you try to grab the back of the head while exposing more room in front, or put your hands up more closer to above your forehead?

If you are backed into a cage, or a corner or whatever, and you had to cover up, how do you do it?

Do you try to grab the back of the head while exposing more room in front, or put your hands up more closer to above your forehead?
For shelling up upstairs? Its hard to describe but basically a double "chicken wing" block with your elbows touching. Bear in mind, this has to be done for a very short period (block 3 strikes max), you need to retaliate back ASAP, because when they get wind of it, they will destroy your body staying like that.

For shelling up upstairs? Its hard to describe but basically a double "chicken wing" block with your elbows touching. Bear in mind, this has to be done for a very short period (block 3 strikes max), you need to retaliate back ASAP, because when they get wind of it, they will destroy your body staying like that.

so grabbing the back of the head with both hands but instead of angling it out if you were to blocking a head kick, you angle it in

movements everything in mma defense even with covering up its easy for one of those shots to get through the gloves due to how small they are i may cover up a little bit see rampage jackson he calls it "crazy monkey" for a few then over under clinch or keep circling off with jabs

ive started incorporating this idea into my pad work. I work a lot of signals and responses and my newest one is to double pillar shield (cover up). When my fighter sees me do that they immediately throw 3 punches to my belly shield. After the 3rd punch I'll throw a hook for them to roll under and they'll snap a few punches and we'll continue working from there.

This is some Bas rutten drill that I've played with and found it extremely useful.
They are using boxing gloves but the principal of not having too high or low guard in this situation while avoiding shots is the key here. And let's face, in an actual fight you only have seconds till you clinch up or your getting fucked up regardless

This is some Bas rutten drill that I've played with and found it extremely useful.
They are using boxing gloves but the principal of not having too high or low guard in this situation while avoiding shots is the key here. And let's face, in an actual fight you only have seconds till you clinch up or your getting fucked up regardless

That looks like a really good drill. Next level would be incorporating head movement

This is a drill we used to do in a gym. 2 rounds half round one is the aggressor half round the other one. 2nd round are added counters. However the attacker should not just stay in punch and the defender should not only stay there. Our coach wanted movement. The attacker should keep the defender cornered and the defender should look for ways to get out. So the attacker goes in and out in order to round the defender in the corner always. The defender usually opted for clinches when there was a heat and the attacker often clinched to keep the defender in the corner. Good drill especially for newbies to get used to getting hit.

The Muay Thai fighter Pakorn uses a dracula guard quite a lot to protect his chin, he essentially bends his rear arm around his chin and keeps it fight as to not be wobbled, keeps his lead arm outstretched and takes and other punches on his forhead.

It's not full proof, but it also makes for a set up back fist to catch someone coming in. Like I say though - not full proof but its a little safer than trying to cover up with your hands alone. Really you're better off clinching or trying to move out of the way.

Back