how to close the distance for the cross and overhand?

I'd say the complete opposite. What's important on the cross if your going to generate any real power vs simply arm punching is to have the back leg "rooted" to initiate the cross (rear foot directly under rear shoulder, "sitting" over rear hip). The cross is a punch that should be generated off the rear hip by pressing off the rear foot. Ideally, if your shifting weight onto the front hip from the rear on the cross (which is when the rear foot would slide forward)...... you're doing so on the follow through (post impact as the hands turning over). The longer you keep the rear foot "anchored" on the cross the heavier the shot is going to be.

what is the difference between the overhand right and the chopping right hand?

What are your thoughts on movement of the back foot when throwing your cross/overhand, I have some confusion on the subject. As a beginner I have a very hard time closing the distance in order to land especially my cross.

When watching fights I will sometimes see the fighter simply step in with their lead foot then throw the cross/overhand.

Other times I will see them step in with the lead foot, then recover stance by bring the rear foot forward then throw. Although I don't think I have ever seen someone do this with the overhand, only the cross.
To my surprise when I actually started paying attention to this, a large percentage of the time I see a fighter throwing the cross where at the point of
Impact their back foot is not in contact with the ground and they end up stepping forward with their rear leg.

- it feels somewhat vulnerable to me to recover the backfoot While stepping in not having both feet planted. However I feel some power if I do not have rear foot under me.

- what do you feel is the most effective and defensively sound way to throw the cross or overhand while closing the distance?

I also do not really understand how to engage " at an angle" when ever I try to take either the outside angle or inside angle my opponent seems to be already gone

Thank you for your advice and input
Double up on the jab and use it to close by stepping forward with it.
Do this once or twice so he starts reacting to the jab, then jab - cross him.

what is the difference between the overhand right and the chopping right hand?

IMO - same, same. If anything a "chopping" right hand would simply be an OH right thrown at a shorter distance or closer to your opponent.

These basic principles apply to both the right cross and OH right. The only difference being the range your throwing the shot from (OH shorter vs straight cross longer)

1. "chase the man, not the hand" - In short, you want to have your feet their first vs reaching. Pushing off the back foot with your jab is the safest way to get into range for your cross. You want to have your weight over the rear hip when you throw your cross. If you can't reach the target without getting your head over your front foot, then your out of range to be throwing your cross and you'll end up reaching or overextending and getting off balance/out of position.

2. In terms of your backfoot sliding or shifting forward - you don't want to get into the habit of having to do this in order to land your cross , instead it's a movement you make to follow up (or follow through) with another shot behind your cross. I.E: 2-3 cross lands, rear foot slides forward to advance with the 3.

3. As for "engaging at an angle", worry less about how to engage at an angle and spend more time on learning how to get an angle on your opponent. Then you'll find engaging is the easy part.
Thank you so much, I had never put that together that the sliding of the backfoot forward serves its utility in setting up the next punch, distinct from just perform it as part of the sequence of the cross. Great insights SSullivan

Both are bad

Both are bad habits. Your rear foot should be already in your normal stance before trowing the.cross. If you are sliding you are already in a non balanced position and the cross will be weak not to mention telegraphed and additionally you will be off balance and easily counter able.

Small steps. Find the cross with a non extending jab. If you can jab without extending you are good to go for the cross. If not keep on searching the distance with the jab and footwork.

Watch Klichkos. They have a text book jab and cross and how they look for the cross all the time.
Awesome clarification here, I also appreciate what you said about the non extending jab as a good metric for distance as I do often over extend and reach.
Great stuff thank you

I like what Ilk said regarding "small steps" as I am not comfortable bursting in range and I prefer not to cover large distances in a single step. I do however seem to have quite a hard time actually getting into range, without lunging in. As perform small steps, which allow me to maintain balance, my opponent will only need to quickly take a large step and is simply out of range again. I am sparring in an open area rather than a cage or ring so perhaps this is part of it, but I often find myself remaining mostly waiting to counter as I struggle to find my range with small steps, which makes me predicable

http://forums.sherdog.com/threads/a-basic-footwork-technique-for-beginners.1588633/
I wrote this ages ago, but its still a good technique to close the distance at an angle. You'd probably want to throw or feint a jab as you step in with your lead foot, then throw your rear after it.
The sequence would be something like:
  1. start in neutral position
  2. step out at an angle with your rear leg
  3. step towards your opponent with your lead leg
  4. before your lead leg touches the ground, start throwing or feinting a jab. This will help load up your rear hand
  5. as your lead leg touches the ground, your lead hand should have either hit the target or be returning
  6. start to throw your rear hand while your rear leg shifts forward
  7. your rear hand should land just as your rear leg is planted
I'll let the more experienced guys build upon or correct that sequence.

Wow this is awesome, great detail. Greatly appreciated Thank you

I like what Ilk said regarding "small steps" as I am not comfortable bursting in range and I prefer not to cover large distances in a single step. I do however seem to have quite a hard time actually getting into range, without lunging in. As perform small steps, which allow me to maintain balance, my opponent will only need to quickly take a large step and is simply out of range again. I am sparring in an open area rather than a cage or ring so perhaps this is part of it, but I often find myself remaining mostly waiting to counter as I struggle to find my range with small steps, which makes me predicable
If someone abuses the lack of ring, thats on them and they are just hurting themselves in the long run. They are making themselves predictable by not engaging like they should, not you.

Back