How to build explosive power

nino

Yellow Belt
@Yellow
Reaction score
Does somebody have any tips on how to get explosive power both in legs and arms?

Does somebody have any tips on how to get explosive power both in legs and arms?
Shadowbox with 1.5-3 kg dumbells depending on body mass.
Jump squats with barbell.
Plyo push ups
Etc

You will get more responses in the standup forum.

I would suggest building a strong core, then do sprints and hit the heavy bag with focus on being exposive. There are probably alot of weighted explosiveness exercises out there but in the end i think some people are just born with explosiveness while others aren't, so don't overdo it. Of course you need a strong body but power will come with technique.

i agree wih the above, but will add to try adding shotput to your training. I think it helped me build and tranfer power from legs through hands. Just use rocks of you want to stay cheap. A variety of weights is good.

I recommend asking people on a message board for power development. That's where Yodsanklai's power came from. Where did you think the "Boxing Computer" nickname came from?

Plyometrics are supposedly really useful for developing explosive strength athletes.

Also, cocaine. Or steroids. Or both at the same time.

You can't increase explosiveness by more than 18%. It's predertmimed by your genetics.
You can get strong though so get under the barbell and squat deadlift and press

I heard that too. Look at these explosive plyometric kicks Saiyok is doing:

Lol, you have to admit it though, that video was edited to move fast. Look at the movements in the background. Work-related saiyok is a fatty now and no where close to that.

Unless you have farm genetics :p
But see, farm genetics aren't based on race so in works on that level.

Maybe what is really going on in "the lab" is genetic manipulation?

For hands I've use resistance bands. Went though (snapped) two sets of Stroops. Now using my own fabrication that is much stronger. I do 3-5 rounds with them every morning when I wake up. Every day of the year. I feel it's helped me a lot with speed and power -that's also the feedback I get at the gym.

For hands I've use resistance bands. Went though (snapped) two sets of Stroops. Now using my own fabrication that is much stronger. I do 3-5 rounds with them every morning when I wake up. Every day of the year. I feel it's helped me a lot with speed and power -that's also the feedback I get at the gym.
Sounds good, which exercise are you doing with them?

I grind the same motions every time for sake of "muscle memory"; just having the body be able to fall back on something no matter the context (that's a different topic) so therefore it's the very basics: jab, cross in round 1 (or double-jab, cross), jab, cross, hook in round 2 and then I add a punch off the hook in round 3. If I do more rounds I might experiment. One drawback of resistance bands like Stroops is they don't offer resistance through all punches / ranges of motions (hook or uppercut don't work as well as straight punches). It suits me well for what I use them for though.

Back