How to build a Power Cage (finished)

For .060 scrap tubing??? I thought I got ripped off!!

20ft lengths of .060 square tubing goes for about $20. The most expensive part of the project was the safety bars which were made of 3/4" pipe with something like an 1/8" wall thickness. That shit is stout, but it cost about $30 for 6'. The tubing is cheap. Especially if you get it out of the scrap pile.

The Patton's Steel website doesn't list prices because they fluctuate, but I can't imagine they've changed THAT much. Are they talkin Stainless or something?

Awesome job, Bacon. The rack looks great.

bacon said:

20ft lengths of .060 square tubing goes for about $20. The most expensive part of the project was the safety bars which were made of 3/4" pipe with something like an 1/8" wall thickness. That shit is stout, but it cost about $30 for 6'. The tubing is cheap. Especially if you get it out of the scrap pile.

The Patton's Steel website doesn't list prices because they fluctuate, but I can't imagine they've changed THAT much. Are they talkin Stainless or something?

Not to be an ass, even though I have one. Couldn't you have used 3/4" gas pipe for the safety bars? I'm not sure if I could find any tables for gas pipe which would give the deflection since its not made for that.

I'm going to Lowes, I'll see what a 10' piece costs.

bacon said:

I dunno man, I think they were more or less ignorant of the topic, but trying to sound off like they knew better. *shrug* Gotta love em.

LPF4 said:
Not to be an ass, even though I have one. Couldn't you have used 3/4" gas pipe for the safety bars? I'm not sure if I could find any tables for gas pipe which would give the deflection since its not made for that.

I'm going to Lowes, I'll see what a 10' piece costs.

Lowes usually has a higher markup, but knowing my luck, you'll find it on sale...

I know what you mean Lusst. People typically just assume that metal is expensive when in all actuallity, taint near as pricey as wood.

bacon said:
Lowes usually has a higher markup, but knowing my luck, you'll find it on sale...

I know what you mean Lusst. People typically just assume that metal is expensive when in all actuallity, taint near as pricey as wood.

I forgot to look, I was just curious what the cost was. Maybe I'll remember when I go to Home Depot tomorrow.

I went to Lowe's because I had 10% off coupon and wanted a pressure washer.

How did you paint your cage?

LPF4 said:
How did you paint your cage?

Rattle-canned it. If you take your time, spray paint can look pretty good.

Say it with love, say it with Krylon!

bacon said:
Rattle-canned it. If you take your time, spray paint can look pretty good.

Say it with love, say it with Krylon!

I seem to recall a 87 chevy cleberity that was primered grey from a couple cans of krylon out in the HS parking lot. Man that car looked great.

Anyhow, great work on the cage my friend, great work.

jk3004 said:
I seem to recall a 87 chevy cleberity that was primered grey from a couple cans of krylon out in the HS parking lot. Man that car looked great.

Anyhow, great work on the cage my friend, great work.

Believe it or not, that POS was Randy's first attempt at painting a car with a sprayer. Turned out pretty good...now that fucker paints cars for a living.

And oh yeah, it was an 84, not an 87...

SWEET! If I merge already existing posts, I get around the picture restriction!

Damn...It actually looks like I knew what I was doing... Thanks Urb

bacon said:
Bacon's safetly tip of the day: "Don't be fuckin moron."
17623091166.jpg

ROFL.

bump

this is some real nice stuff man, i might have to do this

i do auto-cad stuff for work so in the next week or two when i have free time i might draw up some plans for a cage... this'll be a fun little project, thanks for the info

edit: i've read it a few times but i haven't seen how you made the hangers - any tips on that?

I just took a piece of steel, bent it to fit around the verticals, welded on another piece with a hole in it, and then welded the peg (3/4 pipe) into the hole. If you have all the stuff in front of you with a picture, you could figure it out pretty quick.

Let me know if you need help.

You dog always lie under it? I'd be scared of a freak accident where it could fall on him. :S

what'd you end up using for the endcaps? looks just like you welded pieces of metal on there but i suck too much at welding for them to come out looking that clean :p

i'll post screencaps of the plans i've been working on for mine in here tomorrow, wanna see if there's any problems or anything that you could see with em

I just cut 2x2" pieces and welded them on the ends. You don't have to be a great welder. I'm not. Just make sure you get good penetration. If you have to over do it a little, so be it. You can always clean it up after the fact with a flapper wheel.

Hey bacon, very interesting project. I was all inspired to start welding, then reality smacked me and I remembered I live in an apartment. I'd probably get evicted if I bought a welder.

Sorry to raise the dead, but this is something I'd be interested in. The only thing is I cannot see the pictures. Am I the only one who cannot see these pictures, or are they just no good anymore?

Back