How to be a Successful "Grinder"?

Scott Lawlor

Banned
Banned
Reaction score

33bguf6.jpg

Grinders, although usually the target for MMA hate by being deemed "boring" to watch are often very successful regardless. I just wanted to ask some of the educated grapplers on Sherdog about what makes their style so dominating and successful?

Last edited:
If you put your head in someones gut in guard and hold position while throwing a strike here and there, you win the round. The reason they are successful is because the MMA scorings are still bs.

Persistence, hard work, great cardio, and having a solid chin doesnt hurt either

Honestly, a big part of it is stopping your opponent from getting up. Pure wrestling experience is best for that, although a good MMA grappling coach from any background should be able to train you in good tactics for keeping someone down. From there it's a matter of stout submission defense and constantly striking, even if they're not huge strikes. Serious conditioning is a must as well as it's a labor-intensive strategy.

Good Wrestling, sub defense, good conditioning, pretty much what everyone else said.

I'll add good head fighting skills, understanding the gigantic weight of take down's and top control in the judges scoring.

Its more of a mentality kind of thing rather than just specific attributes. If dominating every aspect of the position is on the front of your brain rather than going for the finish if it compromises position, that kind of mentality will lead to grinding out wins.

Grinding takes complete advantage of the sport aspect of fighting, so people don't like it because they want to see fighting (fists thrown, kicks thrown). But it's all legal and it's a smart tactic, I'm not gonna lie. Takes a lot of skill too.

Grinding takes complete advantage of the sport aspect of fighting, so people don't like it because they want to see fighting (fists thrown, kicks thrown). But it's all legal and it's a smart tactic, I'm not gonna lie. Takes a lot of skill too.

How does it take advantage of the rules? You could grind in a street fight as long as its 1 on 1

Its more of a mentality kind of thing rather than just specific attributes. If dominating every aspect of the position is on the front of your brain rather than going for the finish if it compromises position, that kind of mentality will lead to grinding out wins.

As a grinder myself when I competed, and having coached some, it's very much a mentality that comes (typically) from being less talented so you learn how to grind out wins or wear down/drag into deep water people more talented than skilled

I'm actually having to adjust certain things coaching wise because I suddenly have athletes for the first time at my new job

33bguf6.jpg

Grinders, although usually the target for MMA hate by being deemed "boring" to watch are often very successful regardless. I just wanted to ask some of the educated grapplers on Sherdog about what makes their style so dominating and successful?

Define "grinder". Are you saying Lay N pray or active GNPer?

Won most of my fights by submission, that were set up by wearing my opponents down with non stop wrestling pressure, constant active attempts to pass the guard and gain the mount, gnp---->turtle---->RNC

It takes a imense cardio and definitely a bit of hard headedness/stubbornness. Most fighters even at the ammy level have the knowledge/skills to defend this kind of attack. What a lot of fighters don't have, even at the higher levels is the type of cardio required to fend off this style of attack for more than a round or two. See kabib.

Last edited:
Posture. Posture. Posture. Correct posture and positioning in all situations

It also requires the ability to think and act strategically vs tactically

Lots of good answers, but I'll add that a big part of it in-fight is just constant pressure, both physical and mental. I think to be a really good grinder you have to enjoy breaking people, of putting so much pressure on them that they just can't withstand it and eventually give something up. You can feel it when people quit, and it's a great feeling. I have a problem with defense sometimes because I just really like to come forward constantly, but even if you take a couple shots early being able to see your opponent start to wilt and run out of steam is the best. Because then you can do whatever you want.

Embrace the grind- translation: I can't finish my breakfast.

Chase the finish please

Embrace the grind- translation: I can't finish my breakfast.

Chase the finish please
Spoken like a true low level grappler or fighter who's never really felt high level positioning and technique

Back