How to avoid injuries and stay active like a pro athlete?

CanardRoti

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
Hello everyone, I am by no mean a pro athlete or even a college athlete .
However I am curious how 40 years old are still able to compete at the top of their sports.

YES I am aware they're no longer the most dominant or they recently retired from the sport but they are still part of the elite of the sport. SO how do they do it?
I'm 35 and I can tell I've slowed down and it takes alot longer to recover from injuries, sprain, pain.

What can I do within my budget to help? ICe bath everyday? massages everyday?

Thanks

Hello everyone, I am by no mean a pro athlete or even a college athlete .
However I am curious how 40 years old are still able to compete at the top of their sports.

YES I am aware they're no longer the most dominant or they recently retired from the sport but they are still part of the elite of the sport. SO how do they do it?
I'm 35 and I can tell I've slowed down and it takes alot longer to recover from injuries, sprain, pain.

What can I do within my budget to help? ICe bath everyday? massages everyday?

Thanks

Well that's the biggest thing. They often times microdose test, use cryotherapy, etc

The biggest thing is to slowly build into it. I'm right about your age and I've found that eating well, exercising every day (sometimes just a short jog and I very rarely wrestle hard with my kids anymore), and drinking a lot of water. I foam roll after running, ice bath & sauna after harder workouts, and try to sleep at least 6 hours a night.

Train smart.

Programming. Diet. Recovery/rest. Consistency.

programming? As in ...?
I mean I can't show up to my MMA gym 3-4 times anymore because it really takes a toll on my knees and wrist now.

this is completely dependent on your goal at the time....if just doing mma to stay in something active and you dont think you can 3 day a week it just 2 day a week it for while

this is completely dependent on your goal at the time....if just doing mma to stay in something active and you dont think you can 3 day a week it just 2 day a week it for while
He's asking how to stay active and you're solution is to be less active...?

recovery is everything. i am 36 now. 10 years ago i could drink all night, go to work landscaping 10 hours, have a hard work out after that and a day later everything was normal again. now i drink all night and i am fucked for 3 days.

I would also suggest doing band work like band leg curls and band pull aparts. It's great for the joints.

Also use a prowler/sled for strength and conditioning work. I squat sometimes but I use my sled all the time. Very little eccentric (lowering of the weight) which is what causes soreness. I like to do heavy sled pushes 2x a week and will walk with my sled another 2x a week.

Often times, the great ones find ways to change their training to allow them to still compete and stay healthy. It's the same for all of us. And also, seriously sleep a lot, eat healthy, and be active all the time

recovery is everything. i am 36 now. 10 years ago i could drink all night, go to work landscaping 10 hours, have a hard work out after that and a day later everything was normal again. now i drink all night and i am fucked for 3 days.

I'm 47, and can't drink because it ruins my training.

For me, it's not so much the recovery (which is still important, but hasn't changed my programming a lot) but making sure that I warm up (and cool down) properly for everything that I do. Even 10 years ago, I never really paid attention to warm-up/cool-down, but now I pay a price in both performance and injury risk when I'm not careful about getting my body ready to do what I want it to do.

I think taking a week off every 3 months definitely would help. I'm talking like a week with no exercise at all. It would be better in the long run, I think. Having the discipline to not exercise is tough for me though.

i can't workout as much and as intensive like in the past. i am still in the idiotic mindset that every workout has to be a near-death-experience which just doesn't work anymore.

i should sleep and nap much more but i always was a poor sleeper.

so, i can't burn the candle from both sides anymore.

i think pro athletes in the older age group just have everything in check: workouts, drugs, recovery, mindset, genetics.

Back