How the Mayweathers teach blocking

I just hit every punch with my head.
Works for me.

<209Bitch>

then there's Nick Diaz who blocks punches with his head

nick-diaz-bj-penn-punch-face.gif

Old bareknuckle boxing trick. Your forehead is the hardest bone in your body. In a street fight, your hands aren't taped, just let someone punch your forehead and they break their hands.

Last edited:
It's an old bare knuckle boxing trick, I wouldn't equate it to "street fighting." Most people learned about it in the movie "Gladiator"...the boxing one not the sword and sandals one.

It's an old bare knuckle boxing trick, I wouldn't equate it to "street fighting." Most people learned about it in the movie "Gladiator"...the boxing one not the sword and sandals one.

You're exactly right. I'll edit my post.

The blocking style depends on the fighting style. Wlad also blocks from further away. That style of blocking only really works if you only block single shots.
Thus fighters who move a lot use that. If you block one shot and evade the other 5 punches coming at you differently you can do it if you block 5 punches and move away then you have to block like Canelo, Winky Wright and guys like that with your hands pressed up against your head.

Btw Floyd (both) can also fight out of a standard high guard with the gloves pressed against the head even if you think that you should avoid blocking that way you should at least be able to do it. Floyd Jr did it in the amateurs and he does it against southpaws

Last edited:
The blocking style depends on the fighting style. Wlad also blocks from further away. That style of blocking only really works if you only block single shots.
Thus fighters who move a lot use that. If you block one shot and evade the other 5 punches coming at you differently you can do it if you block 5 punches and move away then you have to block like Canelo, Winky Wright and guys like that with your hands pressed up against your head.

Btw Floyd (both) can also fight out of a standard high guard with the gloves pressed against the head even if you think that you should avoid blocking that way you should at least be able to do it. Floyd Jr did it in the amateurs and he does it against southpaws

Do you think it could be adopted to a shell for taking multiple shots? Like stiff arming with the hands/arms in front of you with the elbows resting on your rib cage, it would certainly provide greater sight, and allow you to adjust a bit more easily.

Do you think it could be adopted to a shell for taking multiple shots? Like stiff arming with the hands/arms in front of you with the elbows resting on your rib cage, it would certainly provide greater sight, and allow you to adjust a bit more easily.

Obviously it can be done at spots. i was just generally speaking. Mayweather combines stiff arming and everything with it and Broner tries it at least, Ali did it. Basically defenisve spoilers do it at the ropes. But then it's again not just standing there and blocking but adding other things.

It's easy to see the differnece in approach to defending between a guy like Mayweather and Winky Wright. But int he end you should be able to do everything at least somewhat decent you can#t afford not to and if Mayweather has to use the standard high guard at times then I think it's save to say that there is no substitution to it even if you have a non blocking philoshophy and try to avoid it as much as possible.

Against a good combination puncher or puncher in general it's just risky to do it for a longer period of time Ali and Mayweather are the first guys that come to mind and both have them have in common that they are tough and had both iron chins and iron bodies because evry ocne ina while a punch will get through (as it would with every other type of defence)

That was a very under-rated movie.

Obviously it can be done at spots. i was just generally speaking. Mayweather combines stiff arming and everything with it and Broner tries it at least, Ali did it. Basically defenisve spoilers do it at the ropes. But then it's again not just standing there and blocking but adding other things.

It's easy to see the differnece in approach to defending between a guy like Mayweather and Winky Wright. But int he end you should be able to do everything at least somewhat decent you can#t afford not to and if Mayweather has to use the standard high guard at times then I think it's save to say that there is no substitution to it even if you have a non blocking philoshophy and try to avoid it as much as possible.

Against a good combination puncher or puncher in general it's just risky to do it for a longer period of time Ali and Mayweather are the first guys that come to mind and both have them have in common that they are tough and had both iron chins and iron bodies because evry ocne ina while a punch will get through (as it would with every other type of defence)

True.

Here's another style I think combines some mitigation with shelling which is nice. Note Joe Valtellini's blocking during demonstration of the drill.

Hands resting at the temples per usual but turning in the elbows to meet the incoming shot. A bit more dissipation as the elbow is getting involved in catching.

Heres another video where he teaches Muay Thai fighter/MMA fighter Tyrone Sprong the same thing

Back