How the hell did only one judge give Castillo a 10-8?

R1 10-8 Castillo
R2 10-8 Barboza
R3 10-9 Barboza but narrowly.

So you think barboza came just as close to finishing and was just as dominant in round 2 as Castillo was in 1? Really!?

Btw scoring rd by rd I had a draw and the fight as a whole I had barboza so this isn't some bias motivating factor behind what I'm saying. it just seems stupid to score rounds equally, when they aren't, seemingly just because judges don't want to go beyond the standard 10-9 round.

Leg kicks visibly hurting him + knockdown with a punch + close anaconda choke attempt - any offense from Castillo = 10-8 Barboza

Pretty sure it wasn't an anaconda choke and it really wasn't close.

The leg kicks were nice and definitely effective but Castillo wasn't close to being finished.

If Roudn 2 was a 10-8, then Round 1 was a 10-7. One involved the fight almost ending multiple times. The other hand one moment where a choke was about two moves away from being close.

And take what you will from my argument/reasoning. But here's the important part: The Judges didn't give EITHER ROUND a 10-8. That's the real problem here.

I actually thought it should have been a 27-27 draw:

Round 1) 10-7 Castillo
Round 2) 10-8 Barbosa
Round 3) 10-9 Barbosa

I knew this wouldn't happen because MMA judges NEVER give 10-7 rounds and very rarely give 10-8s, but if round 1 wasn't a 10-7 round, what is? The fight could very easily have been stopped.

If you use the 10 point must system how it's intended to be used, then this would have been the score. You're absolutely spot on. Why are people talking about a half point system when there are TEN points!? You just start giving out 10-8s and occasionally 10-7s and the system works. The more room for move on the points would also make fighters go for it more in each round and allow refs to deduct points more frequently for fouls.

R1: 10-7 dc
R2: 10-8 ed
R3: 10-9 ed

27-27 draw

If judges actually used the whole 10 points instead of just the 10, 9 and once in a blue moon 8 (making it essentially a 3 point system) then the system wouldn't be half bad

this!

So you think barboza came just as close to finishing and was just as dominant in round 2 as Castillo was in 1? Really!?

Btw scoring rd by rd I had a draw and the fight as a whole I had barboza so this isn't some bias motivating factor behind what I'm saying. it just seems stupid to score rounds equally, when they aren't, seemingly just because judges don't want to go beyond the standard 10-9 round.

wasn't AS dominant but still dominant enough to give 10-8. Whats so hard to understand? It was clearly more deserving of a 10-8 than Hunt vs Bifoot round 5 where they practically gifted the 10-8 to hunt so they could score it a draw.

Barboza whooped that ass in round two. Round three was a hell of a lot closer.

It's just seems stupid to score those two rounds equally when they clearly weren't.

Are you saying that first round was 10-7?

Edit, missed earlier post guess so.

Last edited:
28-28 > 27-28 > 28-29

It's absolutely ridiculous that first round wasn't a 10-8 in todays judging imo. And I would rather see 10-8, 8-10, 9-10 than what happened, even though I don't think R2 was a 8-10.

I think the ideal judging, if they were to apply an other guideline, would be: 10-7 (dominating win), 8-10 (clear win), 8-10 (clear win) with Barboza winning 26-27.

Guideline: (dom 10-7, clear 10-8, close or competitive yet decisive 10-9, too close to call 10-10)

Last edited:
If anything round one was a 10-7, Danny almost KOed him more than once, Barboza grabbed the fence twice to avoid getting choked out and Castillo spent more of the round on top.

Round 1 was 10-7. Judges need to read the damn rules; 10-7 is to be awarded when one fighter totally dominates the other.

Will need to go back and watch but I think I scored 2 10-8 and 3 10-9 for a 27-27 draw, But 3 was borderline 10-8 and 2 was borderline 10-7.

The same way only one judge gave the first round to Hendricks, when even the fight metric GSP fans tend to love, states that Hendricks out-landed GSP in that first round.

I would have been cool with the judges scoring the first as a 10-8 as I did, but I didn't see the fight as a draw.

They would have had to score the second as a 10-8.5 for Barboza and I don't think they do half's and 10-9 for Barboza in the 3rd.

Castillo is tough as hell, but Barboza won that fight.

If you use the 10 point must system how it's intended to be used, then this would have been the score. You're absolutely spot on. Why are people talking about a half point system when there are TEN points!? You just start giving out 10-8s and occasionally 10-7s and the system works. The more room for move on the points would also make fighters go for it more in each round and allow refs to deduct points more frequently for fouls.

Yes.

It should have been a 10-8 but I'm glad only one judge thought so since in my opinion if you look at that fight as a whole Barboza won it pretty clearly.

Pretty sure it wasn't an anaconda choke and it really wasn't close.

The leg kicks were nice and definitely effective but Castillo wasn't close to being finished.

If Roudn 2 was a 10-8, then Round 1 was a 10-7. One involved the fight almost ending multiple times. The other hand one moment where a choke was about two moves away from being close.

And take what you will from my argument/reasoning. But here's the important part: The Judges didn't give EITHER ROUND a 10-8. That's the real problem here.

Lots of good comments like this one in this thread. Thank goodness people are waking up.

How the hell were the fans booing Barboza before the fight? Must be terrible to live in a place with such a disrespectful crowd. The world spins...

Brazillian fans do this to American fighters whenever they face someone from their entire freakin country, why can't Sacramento fans cheer the guy from their hometown? Brazllians do it cause they're extremely nationalist when it comes to these things, the Sacramento crowd boo'd Edson cause he's fighting the hometown hero.

Back